Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Daylesford
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wizards, Boro, Daylesford
Hey guys,

After a year off footy I've began doing some running/weights etc to get at least some fitness back up for the upcoming pre-season.

Wouldn't mind getting a bit of practice up with skills though as well.

Does anyone have any solo drills you can do with kicking? etc.

Thanks guys :)

Practice throwing a footy against a wall. Can help with your marking in the heads and also your ground skills.

about 6 years ago i went from being a pretty ordinary and erratic kick to a very solid (but still sometimes erratic :() kick over the course of the early pre-season and through those few months i only went kicking on my own.

there was no specific drills as such you can do, but you can just go down to the park, take shots at goal and run after the ball (which is actually really good for your stamina), and try and just do things as intensely as possible.

it's not the most exciting, but you can get a pretty good work out and you'll end up doing a hell of a lot more kicking than you would at a full team session and you can work specifically on areas of kicking you need to work on - short kicks, long kicks, shots at goal, left foot etc,.

one "drill" i used to do was starting at full back and just kick the length of the field and chasing at max pace and finishing with a shot at goal. go up and down four times and you'll feel it...

If you have 2 footies blindly mongrel punt one away. While that footy is in the process of zooming away from you (remember not to look at it as its supposed to be unknown where it is) either throw the other footy in the air or roll on along the ground then mark/collect; turn around and final where the orignal ball has got to and make the decision to handball/kick as if it were a teammate!

go to bunnings bye a net for fruit trees then hook it up somwhere
once u do that practise kicking into it without stepping
just stand still on ur support leg and practise cocking ur kicking leg back as far as u can then kicking through the ball and get ur kicking leg to finish in front of ur support leg
make sure ur balance arm is extended with palm up and u have good posture
get ur head looking down over the ball
this will increase ur balace and stability when u kick as the support leg will b doing more work then usual
also because u r not moving at all you will have to **** ur leg back to compensate 4 having no momentum which will increase ur penetration
obviously kick the ball into the net and it will bounce back to u

go to bunnings bye a net for fruit trees then hook it up somwhere
once u do that practise kicking into it without stepping
just stand still on ur support leg and practise cocking ur kicking leg back as far as u can then kicking through the ball and get ur kicking leg to finish in front of ur support leg
make sure ur balance arm is extended with palm up and u have good posture
get ur head looking down over the ball
this will increase ur balace and stability when u kick as the support leg will b doing more work then usual
also because u r not moving at all you will have to **** ur leg back to compensate 4 having no momentum which will increase ur penetration
obviously kick the ball into the net and it will bounce back to u

excelent smithers....excellent.:thumbsu:

hayy man. a drill that i do when im bored and by myself is i just go down to the local footy feild and run around the oval. kick the ball just in front of you and let the ball bounce. and practice picking the ball up first time.

Make a target and practise hitting the target using a variety of situations e.g with something manning the mark or from a dribble kick followed by a quick pick up and kick or a pick up after an agility exercise around cones whatever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back