Roast Some Experts don't even have Grundy in their Top 10 Best Players in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

What Peter also had was the inane ability to kick a goal from anywhere left side, right side.

Close up, or huge distance he so it all.

He kicked on his left at times youd swear he was a left footer.

Kicked goals from 60m and from all angles.

Kicked 97 in our flag year of 1990.

And as good as Cyril is, he just didn’t have ALL the attributes of Daicos.

Cyril had the force and dynamic but in burst play at times. Brilliant tackler that’s his weapon.

Daicos had it all.

Imagine Sidebottom with his left and right foot kicking ability

then double the distance of his kicks and add 100% accuracy

You end up with Daics

It's just like Robbo's top 50 players.

8. Grundy
12. Sidebottom
21. Beams
23. De Goey
36. Pendles

But in the end, I don't pay attention to anything the guy says. Nobody should care what about these journalists think or say, everyone has an opinion.

There no Different the psople on here and social media. They just get Paid for it

I don't have him in the top 20, great player but a ruckman all the same, if he started plunking more contested marks my opinion would change, top 2 ruckman doesn't equate to a top 10 player.

He is one of the Best Clarence Players in the AFL and Has Quite Good Speeds.

He barley go down Back or Forward so does not have a Ton of Chance to take Contested Marks

It was a great shame injuries robbed the game of probably it's most famous centreman ever. But we would not have seen those unbelievable goals - I remember most the one against West Coast when on the boundary in the forward pocket he is being pulled of his feet away from the goals but calmly put it on his boot and kicked the sausage.
The goal Daicos kicked in the drawn finals game against West Coast (from the left forward pocket) was probably my all time favourite - it also was most likely responsible for wrecking my video recorder!! He kicked a goal just like the one you've described against Brisbane (Gastev was hanging on to him but couldn't stop him), also one of the finest ever seen.

Almost certainly he was the best "scorer of great goals" ever.

Last edited:
He is one of the Best Clarence Players in the AFL and Has Quite Good Speeds.

He barley go down Back or Forward so does not have a Ton of Chance to take Contested Marks
It's arguable if he's better than Gawn, i say he is but there's bias involved there, but if you agree it's a toss up between those 2 you're saying that 2 ruckman are top 10 in the competition, a competition that boasts players like De Goey - Danger - Gray - Fyfe - Kennedy (either one) - Sideshow Brown - Mitchell etc.

It's arguable if he's better than Gawn, i say he is but there's bias involved there, but if you agree it's a toss up between those 2 you're saying that 2 ruckman are top 10 in the competition, a competition that boasts players like De Goey - Danger - Gray - Fyfe - Kennedy (either one) - Sideshow Brown - Mitchell etc.
I think what makes Grundy so valuable is that it's like having an extra midfielder with him in the team - seeing a bloke of that size hunt after the ball once it hits the ground is quite incredible. The game hasn't really seen too many at all at his size who play the game like he does. Max Gawn is a mighty player, but I think Grundy offers even more, and I certainly would find a spot for him in the competition's top 10 players.

Almost certainly he was the best "scorer of great goals" ever seen.
No almost about it.
He certainly was.
Angles, dribble goals, close, long distance, left side right side, players hanging on to him, twist and turns, caught behind players, in front of players, out marking players, bouncing no bouncing, off the ground, crumbing....

He had it all.

Grundy v Gawn.

By rights it’s so close right now, this year suspect Grundy becomes numero uno.

I think what makes Grundy so valuable is that it's like having an extra midfielder with him in the team - seeing a bloke of that size hunt after the ball once it hits the ground is quite incredible. The game hasn't really seen too many at all at his size who play the game like he does. Max Gawn is a mighty player, but I think Grundy offers even more, and I certainly would find a spot for him in the competition's top 10 players.
Fraser played the same way, except he wasn't anywhere near as good as Grundy at ruck, if i was picking a team to actually play i would have Grundy or Gawn in my top 10, but for actually rating players overall neither would be in my top 10.

Fraser played the same way, except he wasn't anywhere near as good as Grundy at ruck, if i was picking a team to actually play i would have Grundy or Gawn in my top 10, but for actually rating players overall neither would be in my top 10.
I wouldn't want both Gawn and Grundy in the side either if it was a team that was going to play a match, but I do think they are so good and so influential that I would find a spot for the two of them on a top-ten list.

It does not matter where so called experts rate Grundy, we know, the club knows and the opposition teams know how good he is, and really that’s what matters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does not matter where so called experts rate Grundy, we know, the club knows and the opposition teams know how good he is, and really that’s what matters
And he’s all ours.

He’ll help drive us to ultimate success.

Elite helps more than anything.

I wouldn't want both Gawn and Grundy in the side either if it was a team that was going to play a match, but I do think they are so good and so influential that I would find a spot for the two of them on a top-ten list.

Eagles stopped both of them having a Huge impact in PF and GF and That is a Huge Reason why they won those 2 Games and the Flag

What Peter also had was the inane ability to kick a goal from anywhere left side, right side.

Cyril had the force and dynamic but in burst play at times. Brilliant tackler that’s his weapon.

Daicos had it all.

By the time Daic's was recast as a forward his body was shot yet his sublime skills allowed him to dominate for many seasons.

I'm with Jonbe54, can recall his debut against the Aints, marveled as he cut a swath through midfields and used the footy like few others have, marveled as he turned the leagues best defenders into training cones when his body had failed him and forced him forward, but he never quite had it all. Rarely got off the ground to take a mark. If you want to talk about a player who had it all then you need to focus on Greening.

By the time Daic's was recast as a forward his body was shot yet his sublime skills allowed him to dominate for many seasons.

I'm with Jonbe54, can recall his debut against the Aints, marveled as he cut a swath through midfields and used the footy like few others have, marveled as he turned the leagues best defenders into training cones when his body had failed him and forced him forward, but he never quite had it all. Rarely got off the ground to take a mark. If you want to talk about a player who had it all then you need to focus on Greening.
Greening before my time.

Re Daicos marking, he may not have flown but did he do the out bodying his opponents.
To me if you end up marking how you get there is immaterial overall.
Daicos and Peter hudson we’re both geniuses at our bodying defenders.

Greening before my time.

Re Daicos marking, he may not have flown but did he do the out bodying his opponents.
To me if you end up marking how you get there is immaterial overall.
Daicos and Peter hudson we’re both geniuses at our bodying defenders.
Re Greening Saintly

I was privileged to watch his career and one of the baying wolves for St.Kilda after they inducted his attacker into their hall of fame honours list

I genuinely think some of you (not myself, as I'm nowhere near as awesome a fan) are bigger experts than these guys. Just because they were good at the game means sweet F.A.

These experts remind me of try hards in the fragrance world re.. they'll always choose creed aventus over green Irish tweed creed.. why? Cause they're just so used to saying it and that re.. oohhh but david Beckham wears it.. oohhh but david beckham wears it.. and s**t like that.

Everyone is just oh so afraid to put their opinions out there and s**t re.. if you like it.. say it re.. f the comfort zone re.

De Goey is better than Martin. What now re? The Gimp has spoken is what's now re.

Wouldn't mind having a thread for our top 10.. given our depth.. more interested to see who misses out.. preference would be for a rank of 1 to 10 rather than just a conglomerate re..
Did that above young man.

In order is tougher I reckon.

1. De Goey
  2. Grundy
  3. Pendlebury
  4. Beams
  5. Sidebottom
  6. Elliott
  7. Treloar
  8. Adams
  9. Crisp
  10. Moore

Did that above young man.

In order is tougher I reckon.

1. De Goey
  2. Grundy
  3. Pendlebury
  4. Beams
  5. Sidebottom
  6. Elliott
  7. Treloar
  8. Adams
  9. Crisp
  10. Moore

Such a difficult question to answer..

1. De Goey
2. Moore
3. Grundy
4. Sidebottom
5. Treloar
6. Beams
7. Adams
8. Pendlebury
9. Scharenberg (When he's out there)
10. Crisp

Calibre of players left out is f ridiculous..

Daicos had it all.

I’m guessing the cited ability was innate as well... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back