Roast Some Experts don't even have Grundy in their Top 10 Best Players in the AFL

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
My experience of Matthews is limited to highlights but I noticed he was Daicos like in his ability to gather crumbs and turn them into goals. Probably not the mercurial Daicos stuff though.
Matthews was a powerhouse.

Dynamic and power.

Daicos guile and mercurial.

Daicos all time great, Matthews in the the discussion all time greatest.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Doesn't sound like much of a difference. :think:

Daicos is simultaneously an all time great but not in the conversation for the greatest at the same time. What is his weakness that keeps him out of that conversation and consigned to 'freak' status? I know he is about 400 goals down, maybe that's it and only 1 flag. Ablett Snr is the same, he was better than his son but called a freak whereas Ablett Jnr is in the conversation for the best of all time... Ablett Snr for some reason is not.

Dynamic and power.

Daicos guile and mercurial.

There was something similar about the balance, agility and poise used to get a clear shot off. Matthews had the added bonus of extreme power to break tackles and get himself wide open, but Daicos didn't need to get himself wide open. His extreme skill enabled him to execute with a millimetre of space.

Daicos is simultaneously an all time great but not in the conversation for the greatest at the same time. What is his weakness that keeps him out of that conversation and consigned to 'freak' status? I know he is about 400 goals down, maybe that's it and only 1 flag. Ablett Snr is the same, he was better than his son but called a freak whereas Ablett Jnr is in the conversation for the best of all time... Ablett Snr for some reason is not.

Ablett Snr is in the conversation for GOAT.

Skillwise, Daicos is the GOAT, but overall he spent too much of his career with a body that had shouldn't have enabled him to even play the game - let alone be a star.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

It’s like saying why is Michael Shumacher and Ayrton Senna and Juan Fangio in the conversation of the greatest ever and Alain Prost isn’t quite there.

Matthews was better. Stronger and ever so slightly more consistent.

But it’s a great discussion nonetheless.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ablett Snr is in the conversation for GOAT.

Skillwise, Daicos is the GOAT, but overall he spent too much of his career with a body that had shouldn't have enabled him to even play the game - let alone be a star.
My biggest issue with Ablett Snr was (besides 1989) he wasn’t particularly a brilliant finals player especially in grand finals. The 1989 series he was something else.
Also at times Senior was a bit “lazy” so not for me. But was uber elite.

My biggest issue with Ablett Snr was (besides 1989) he wasn’t particularly a brilliant finals player especially in grand finals. The 1989 series he was something else.

Although he did have a couple of quiet GFs (he wasn't fit in his final one), I reckon you are being a bit harsh on Ablett's final's record.

Agree on the tendency to laziness. I'd still put him in the discussion though, because to me his peaks were higher than anyone else I've seen play. I suppose it's a matter of consistency versus peak performance and which you value higher.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Although he did have a couple of quiet GFs (he wasn't fit in his final one), I reckon you are being a bit harsh on Ablett's final's record.

Agree on the tendency to laziness. I'd still put him in the discussion though, because to me his peaks were higher than anyone else I've seen play. I suppose it's a matter of consistency versus peak performance and which you value higher.
And that goal against us....
Wow.
And Mick Gayfer did everything right, punched the ball away well.
To no avail.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.

I regard Ablett snr. as the best player I've ever seen. He was incredibly good. What he did in that 1989 GF had to be seen to be believed. Ayres belted him with an elbow to the head (which he probably deserved because he was happy to throw a few around himself!), knocked him to the ground, yet Ablett got up and carried on as if nothing had happened. Kicking, marking, speed, toughness, he had it all.

Some genius at Geelong (probably Blight) thought it was a good idea to try and rough Hawthorn up in that game, they tried that for about a quarter and a half, while the Hawks just kept on playing football and kicking goals. By the time Geelong started playing it was (just) too late. Absolute waste of a Premiership chance! All they had to do was get the ball and kick it anywhere near Ablett a few more times and he would have taken care of the rest.

Back