MarksGirl-kbcrowgirl

Premiership Player
Jan 28, 2001
at home :)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
This time of year makes me nervous but I was passing my The Pride of South Australia - A Crow's Decade book and came across the pages on the draft and trading the Crows have done. Some really interesting stuff!

Of the 8 players we drafted in 1992 only 2 actaully played games for the Crows. Marty McKinnon played 24 and Matthew Powell played 16. Matthew Robran was the best trade of that year - Hawthorn traded him for pick No 11 (Jonathan Robran!).

Did anyone realise we picked Daryl Wakelin in the 1993 Pre-Season draft? Of that year only 2 of the 6 drafted played a game with us. Josh Mail played 4 and Nick Pesch played 31. It was also the year we got Tony Hall for draft pick 17 which we gave to the Hawks. He could have been a fantastic player if his knee's weren't already stuffed!

We did slighty better in 1994, 3 of the 6 drafted played at least one game. Shane Tongerie played 4, Matthew Kluzek played 24 & Matthew Collins played 14. Our trading was also better, Matthew Connell for pick 44 and Jason McCartney for pick number 9. This was also the year we traded Chris Groom for a young man called Andrew McLeod! LOL! :D :D :D

1995 was a good year. We got Peter Vardy & Tyson Edwards via the Pre-Season draft. We also picked Kane Johnson at no 27 in the draft (we had already picked up Brent Williams at no 18!). We also picked up Troy Bond, Peter Caven, Kym Koster and a handy player called Darren Jarman through trades.

1996 was a mixed bag. We picked up Shane Ellen & Simon Goodwin in the Pre-Season draft. We drafted/traded a couple of premiership players in Andrew Eccles, Chad Rintoul, Brett James, Aaron Keating & Clay Sampson.

1997 was a another good year. Every player we drafted or traded has played at least one game! We drafted, Lance Picioane, James Thiessen, Ian Perrie and Linden Stevens. We traded Brent Williams & Matthew Collins for Nathan Bassett and did the straight swap of Jason McCartney for Mark Stevens.

1998 was good also. We drafted Brett Burton, Tyson Stenglein & Ken McGregor. We also elevated Ben Marsh from a rookie to the senior list. This was the year we traded Modra to Fremantle for pick numbers 29 & 34 (Tyson Stenglein & Bryan Beinke).

1999 was ordinary, although we picked up Rhett Biglands in the draft. Of the 7 players we picked up only 3 remain on the list today. They are Rhett Biglands, Matthew Shir & Rob Shirley.

2000 appears to be hit and miss year. We picked up Stiffy John**** at number 67 in the draft! Also drafted the tosser Angwin, Michael Handby, Matthew Smith and Hayden Skipworth.

2001 we pulled the wool over Carlton's eyes! We traded David Gallagher & Andrew Eccles for Kris Massie & Ben Nelson. With Gallagher already delisted, I would suggest we won that one! Vardy was traded to Melbourne.

2002? Who knows but my guess is this is the year we trade for Wayne Carey :D and trade Kane Johnson to Richmond :( .

Useless stuff guys, but I thought if might be interesting to recap previous years!

k
xx

Originally posted by MarksGirl-kbcrowgirl
This time of year makes me nervous but I was passing my The Pride of South Australia - A Crow's Decade book and came across the pages on the draft and trading the Crows have done. Some really interesting stuff!

Of the 8 players we drafted in 1992 only 2 actaully played games for the Crows. Marty McKinnon played 24 and Matthew Powell played 16. Matthew Robran was the best trade of that year - Hawthorn traded him for pick No 11 (Jonathan Robran!).

Did anyone realise we picked Daryl Wakelin in the 1993 Pre-Season draft? Of that year only 2 of the 6 drafted played a game with us. Josh Mail played 4 and Nick Pesch played 31. It was also the year we got Tony Hall for draft pick 17 which we gave to the Hawks. He could have been a fantastic player if his knee's weren't already stuffed!

We did slighty better in 1994, 3 of the 6 drafted played at least one game. Shane Tongerie played 4, Matthew Kluzek played 24 & Matthew Collins played 14. Our trading was also better, Matthew Connell for pick 44 and Jason McCartney for pick number 9. This was also the year we traded Chris Groom for a young man called Andrew McLeod! LOL! :D :D :D

1995 was a good year. We got Peter Vardy & Tyson Edwards via the Pre-Season draft. We also picked Kane Johnson at no 27 in the draft (we had already picked up Brent Williams at no 18!). We also picked up Troy Bond, Peter Caven, Kym Koster and a handy player called Darren Jarman through trades.

1996 was a mixed bag. We picked up Shane Ellen & Simon Goodwin in the Pre-Season draft. We drafted/traded a couple of premiership players in Andrew Eccles, Chad Rintoul, Brett James, Aaron Keating & Clay Sampson.

1997 was a another good year. Every player we drafted or traded has played at least one game! We drafted, Lance Picioane, James Thiessen, Ian Perrie and Linden Stevens. We traded Brent Williams & Matthew Collins for Nathan Bassett and did the straight swap of Jason McCartney for Mark Stevens.

1998 was good also. We drafted Brett Burton, Tyson Stenglein & Ken McGregor. We also elevated Ben Marsh from a rookie to the senior list. This was the year we traded Modra to Fremantle for pick numbers 29 & 34 (Tyson Stenglein & Bryan Beinke).

1999 was ordinary, although we picked up Rhett Biglands in the draft. Of the 7 players we picked up only 3 remain on the list today. They are Rhett Biglands, Matthew Shir & Rob Shirley.

2000 appears to be hit and miss year. We picked up Stiffy John**** at number 67 in the draft! Also drafted the tosser Angwin, Michael Handby, Matthew Smith and Hayden Skipworth.

2001 we pulled the wool over Carlton's eyes! We traded David Gallagher & Andrew Eccles for Kris Massie & Ben Nelson. With Gallagher already delisted, I would suggest we won that one! Vardy was traded to Melbourne.

2002? Who knows but my guess is this is the year we trade for Wayne Carey :D and trade Kane Johnson to Richmond :( .

Useless stuff guys, but I thought if might be interesting to recap previous years!

k
xx

Makes interesting reading kb, "Linden Stevens" that is one name i can't recall, going on the years of 95 & 96 i guess something good came out of the Robert Shaw era,
If we picked up Daryl Wakelin in 93 how did we lose him ?

Re: Re: some funny facts

Originally posted by noddy

Makes interesting reading kb, "Linden Stevens" that is one name i can't recall, going on the years of 95 & 96 i guess something good came out of the Robert Shaw era,
If we picked up Daryl Wakelin in 93 how did we lose him ?

Linden Stevens had longish hair...sorta semi curly. Played with Sturt in the SANFL i think. He was the player that played awesome in the SANFL near the end of 98 and played his first game in Rd 22 and also played in the losing semi final against Melbourne.

The Crows delisted Wakelin after one year.

Re: Re: Re: some funny facts

Originally posted by Macca19

Linden Stevens had longish hair...sorta semi curly. Played with Sturt in the SANFL i think. He was the player that played awesome in the SANFL near the end of 98 and played his first game in Rd 22 and also played in the losing semi final against Melbourne.

Do you mean the losing qualifying final to Melbourne? Modra's last match for Adelaide. Can't say I remember Linden Stevens playing.

Re: Re: Re: some funny facts

Thank's once again Macca,:)

sure your not a closet Crow in denial,;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: some funny facts

Originally posted by noddy

Thank's once again Macca,:)

sure your not a closet Crow in denial,;)

Never!! :D

Dave - yes, the losing final to Melbourne.
1 kick, 1 handball (thats probably why you cant remember him playing)

Re: Re: Re: Re: some funny facts

Originally posted by DaveW

Do you mean the losing qualifying final to Melbourne? Modra's last match for Adelaide. Can't say I remember Linden Stevens playing.

Not many of our boys did play that day........

Originally posted by topjars

Buggered if I remember Matty Powell playin for the Crows:confused:

Played 16 games between 93 and 96. Generally played in a back pocket/back flank with some games having short stints on the ball. I remember he always used to get pummeled and end up with some sort of injury.

Linden Stevens didn't play many games, under 10 I think so he probably isn't that memorable! I think he was a Sturt player.

The only thing that was good out of the Robert Shaw era was the drafting/trading. We picked up some very good players. However they were still very dark days!

k
xx

Originally posted by Zombie
Did you know that Andrew and Darren Jarman both were originally picked up by Brisbane?

Wasn't that in the days when they both were still actually North Adelaide players?

IOW, Brisbane may have "picked" the Jarmans, but AFAIK never got either one on a contract. At the time it was common practice for VFL sides to "pick" SANFL players on the basis that if those players ever came to the VFL, then they would have to play for the side that had picked them.

All those arrangements more or less went out the door when Crows obtained a license and were supposed to have access to players then playing in SANFL.

For some reason (I have no idea what it was) the Crows managed to sign Andrew but muffed the signing of Darren. AFAIK to get Andrew to play the Crows didn't have to deal in any way with Brisbane, but to get Darren the Hawks did have to deal with Brisbane.

Go figure!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by ok.crows

Wasn't that in the days when they both were still actually North Adelaide players?

IOW, Brisbane may have "picked" the Jarmans, but AFAIK never got either one on a contract. At the time it was common practice for VFL sides to "pick" SANFL players on the basis that if those players ever came to the VFL, then they would have to play for the side that had picked them.

All those arrangements more or less went out the door when Crows obtained a license and were supposed to have access to players then playing in SANFL.

For some reason (I have no idea what it was) the Crows managed to sign Andrew but muffed the signing of Darren. AFAIK to get Andrew to play the Crows didn't have to deal in any way with Brisbane, but to get Darren the Hawks did have to deal with Brisbane.

Go figure!

From my understanding of things, the playres had two years to sign a contract with the teams that drafted them or else they'd then go back into the draft.

For example. Martin Leslie was picked up with the no.1 pick in the 1986 December draft. Leslie was then essentially Brisbanes player for two years. If he didnt sign a playing contract with them in those 2 years then he would go back into the draft. History shows that he signed a playing contract with them halfway thru 1988 so that he would start playing for them in 1989.

Andrew Jarman was drafted by Brisbane with pick 15 in the 1987 National Draft. He did not sign a playing contract with them. In 1989, Brisbane again, picked up Andrew Jarman with pre draft selection. They also picked up Darren with a pre draft selection.

Now the reason why Hawthorn had to deal with Brisbane and Adelaide didnt is because Darren was traded to Hawthorn at the end of 1990 - before the 2 year period was over.
Adelaide didnt have to deal with Brisbane because Andrews period as Brisbanes player finished at the end of 1990 (same as Darren) but was not traded to Adelaide. He was simply 'picked up' for use of a better term in Adelaides original squad list.

Hope that makes sense. To sum it up:
Both Jarmans were essentially Brisbane players till the end of 1990. Neither signed a playing contract. Andrews time as a Brisbane player simply ran out at the end of 1990 so Adelaide picked him up in the original Crows squad. Darren was traded to Hawthorn just before his 'contract' ran out.

Thats my understanding of how it worked anyway.

Thats pretty weak, if you nominate for a draft then you should play for which ever club picks you.

That was in the era when the majority of South Australians refused to go over to the VFL/AFL.

Why nominate for the draft then???

I dont think their were 'nominations' as such back when the draft started. I think anyone that played football was nominated for the draft - that the VFL could chose anyone. Obviously thats why so many people from WA and SA decided to stay in their home state.
I think thats what caused the AFL to create draft forms that people filled out to nominate for the draft, so that everyone in the draft wanted to play.

I dont think their were 'nominations' as such back when the draft started. I think anyone that played football was nominated for the draft - that the VFL could chose anyone. Obviously thats why so many people from WA and SA decided to stay in their home state.
I think thats what caused the AFL to create draft forms that people filled out to nominate for the draft, so that everyone in the draft wanted to play.

How did the SANFL ever let the VFL away with that? Surely that severly compromised the 1991 Crows who were supposed to be the SANFL reprentatives in the AFL.

Typical Victorian arrogance for you, the everyone obviously wants to play in our league because we are so great attitude. SANFL clubs should have 'drafted' Ablett, Dunstall, etc.

Originally posted by DaveW

How did the SANFL ever let the VFL away with that? Surely that severly compromised the 1991 Crows who were supposed to be the SANFL reprentatives in the AFL.

I dont know if it was true or not. But thats just what i reckon happened. Why would players nominate for the draft and not go over at all?

Played 16 games between 93 and 96. Generally played in a back pocket/back flank with some games having short stints on the ball. I remember he always used to get pummeled and end up with some sort of injury.

Used to live down the road from my in-laws. Made his debut vs Geelong in 1993 - first kick was OOF, second was a goal, left unconscious on a stretcher a minute later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back