Some games i just feel out of energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry22

Debutant
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am starting this thread because today i had another one of those games where i just felt out of energy, its on and off for me some games i will feel good and be able to run high intensity other games im just out of energy and have no idea why.

Is it a fitness thing? Im not sure what it was today, i had i would say 7 hours sleep. Had food before game, powerade before the game, was hydrated and just felt like i ran out of energy quickly. Its so weird this normally only happens game day which is the frustrating thing, at training i obviously get exhausted because i try to go hard but not out of energy exhausted.

Can anyone possibly help?

I know the feeling, but I don’t have the feeling to often so I don’t put it down to any one particular factor. Sometimes between life, work stresses, maybe over training, food intake wasn’t as good for the week.

Early on in the year with practice games it’s very common to gas out early while you still build match fitness. If it is a reoccurring issue maybe keep a diary of how your week goes in terms of how you feel, how good or bad sleep is. What your food intake was like and training intensity.

I know a lot of under 18 TAC footy will provide players with a quiz during the week and post game asking variety of questions. They will determine how much to train or not train the kids off the back of the answers.

Games and training are also different times of the day.
If you get the same low energy level during the week then it’s something you’re doing or not doing on a regular basis that is causing it.
Otherwise you could just be blowing up due to the heightened anxiety/stress of a match.

Another thing I will add Powerades are useless to have before a game, drink water. Honestly all the advertising is load of tripe, if you do want have one have some at half time or moreso after the game.

Another thing I will add Powerades are useless to have before a game, drink water. Honestly all the advertising is load of tripe, if you do want have one have some at half time or moreso after the game.

Post-game milk is also significant superior at rehydrating than sports drinks as well. Even most soft drinks out perform Gatorade etc

Aeg mentioned anxiety above and similar to that is arousal which is far greater for games then training so if you fire yourself all the way up on game say then you're probably burning your energy too early

Arousal also increases output, especially in sprint/power actions, so you'll be using a lot more energy then you would at training thus blowing up early so you also might want to put some non-fatigued sprint work into your program (you should be anyway but none does) so those sprints will be submaximal during a game and you'll be able to do more of them

I've played soccer as a goalkeeper these last few years (so not much running but plenty of stress and pressure) and I've had matches where I've felt exhausted and heavy legged by half time. The effects of in-game stress and anxiety on your body should not be underestimated. If you find yourself out of the game for a moment, eg the ball has gone out for a throw in 100m away, or a goal has just been kicked, try to take the opportunity to relax. Let your shoulders go limp, take some slow deep breaths and just let the tension out for a second.

Failing that, theres a brand called Optimum Nutrition who sell a caffeine and BCAA powder, you can find it at Priceline. I've found it does keep you sharper and helps you go a little harder for a little longer. BCAAs are all the rage lately for delaying the onset of muscle fatigue.

Post-game milk is also significant superior at rehydrating than sports drinks as well. Even most soft drinks out perform Gatorade etc

No one yet has convinced me that milk is not the best sports drink in the world. I drink it when I can. Feels good in my stomach compared to Powerade etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back