Some guy bringing out a book this week!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know a few posters on here were worried that this had the potential to derail our finals campaign with some relevations of scandals etc. But have no fear, according to Caro we have nothing to worry about.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/akas-book-silent-on-drug-use-20100912-156ye.html

In fact, neither the Bulldogs, nor the wider AFL community, need concern themselves. Absent are the hinted at allegations of illegal drug use by footballers and absent are any revelations of in-house scandals in a narrative punctuated by Akermanis's dislike of and vitriol aimed at a number of senior Bulldogs and Brisbane players and officials.

Akermanis writes that his four years at the Western Bulldogs were ''a waste of time'' and that the club never took full advantage of his experience as a three-time premiership player and Brownlow medallist

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/akas-book-silent-on-drug-use-20100912-156ye.html

Just reading the highlights(lowlights) that is listed, the worst is vitriol aimed at the club or its players, and we have been hearing that ever since he was sacked, so nothing new there.

Revelations include:

* Aker leaking confidential inhouse club information to Ross Lyon before last years GF (Thanks aker!!)

* Gia was the first player to refuse to play beside him

* When Aker asked Sheedy about playing for the bulldogs, Sheedy said that the Bulldogs were a *** club.

* That Gia, Murphy, Hudson and Higgins were nice to him to his face but turned on him as soon as he wasn't there.

That seems like basically the average type of stuff that is going to be in it. Just sounds like a whinging and moaning book from the guy rather than anything of substance.

I can't see it affecting our preparation to the all important prelim :)

Johnno's book comes out 4 days (i think) after our prelim. Maybe it will be able step in n take the limelight of whoever this other guy is.

But thats good that there isnt too much crap in it. No doubt there will be a lot though.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeh doesn't look too bad for the boys... Just hope a few of them fire up from it still.

Aker really has to take a look in the mirror.... Just in the last week alone..

1) Said Swan looked ridiculous because of his tatts... Has he seen himself in the mirror???

2) Said in his book that Murphy's articles are boring and always about his dog... Has he read his own articles that appear to all be about the dogs and no where near as well written as Muprh...

3) Bagged Caro today for having something against him and writing about him all the time... Im sorry Jason but if you hadn't got sacked from 2 clubs she would have nothing to write about.

4) In his book says that Westy didn't like him cause he was taking the attention away from him... Im sorry but I always thought westy kept a low profile and just did the job. Dont remeber him doing handstands, dying his hair riduclous colours and writing articles to bring attention to himself like someone else we know. Westy was about the team... unlike Aker.

The general public started to understand what he is like... full of lies and hypocricy. Its great to hear the greater majority of people labelling him a dill and an idiot.

Oct 1, 2007
The Bronx
I have had doubts over the mental toughness of our group, but seriously, if they're more concerned about Akers book than on the chance to play in a Grand Final, something is seriously wrong.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
I have had doubts over the mental toughness of our group, but seriously, if they're more concerned about Akers book than on the chance to play in a Grand Final, something is seriously wrong.
I doubt that they haven't been worried about it for about two months. Aker has put his foot in his mouth so much that there isn't much damage that he can do now.

He is going to have some real problems when people get bored of him and no one pays attention to him anymore. What will he do with his time? Certainly wont have many friends from his many years of football to spend it with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeemak

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't think I've read a spray like that since Greg Baum gave it to Al Clarkson after his abusive language episode in Tasmania a couple of years ago.

Great article from Gordon. It will be interesting to see how the bogans and Aker apologists react to this one.

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

What a brilliant article by Peter Gordon. Sums up the situation on a micro and macro level. What I mean, is that he articulately explains why the book is rubbish. And he also goes deeper and asks the question of why a player with such football credentials would concentrate on all the petty, imaginary, nasty irrelevant things and trash good people rather than the big picture of what he achieved.

And just on the subject of that guy, he described yesterday how his four years at the Western Bulldogs was a total waste of time. Well, all I can say is that I would like to waste my time and earn $400k or whatever per year. It is not as though he was giving his services for free.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And just on the subject of that guy, he described yesterday how his four years at the Western Bulldogs was a total waste of time. Well, all I can say is that I would like to waste my time and earn $400k or whatever per year. It is not as though he was giving his services for free.

Yeh thats something that always confuses me.
Aker says he is not playing on after 2009... the club sign our players....then decides he wants to go on... the club say we have xx amount left in the cap as we have already negoiated player contracts.

He takes it and then when he is sacked whignes and moans that "took a pay cut to play for them". He was still on 250,000 and you cannot blame the club given thats all we had to offer him. Doesnt mean we should give him any more allowances in the press than any other player.

Anyway I am glad the intelligent people have now started to work him out.
Also glad peter gordon stood up an defended some of our players (mainly Murphy) with the actual facts..... not the rants of a clearly troubled man.

jeemak

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disregarding my overall thoughts on Kevin Sheedy as a person, he's now just another poor old sod who's been burned by Aker. Sheeds would either be extremely angry, embarrassed or both right now.

Kelvin31

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As Aker said "he chose the Bulldogs over 6 other clubs", not the other way around.
PS: I notice he didn't mention Barry Hall who is well filthy with him.....what a coward.

Kelvin31

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Careers spiralling?.....Heres another Aker/Steve Price flop. What a shame.:thumbsu:

More bad news for right-wing talkback station as boss blames bad signal.

By Michael Lallo
Struggling right-wing broadcaster MTR has shed a quarter of its average audience and has again claimed the title of Melbourne's lowest-ratings station.
MTR now has an average of just 6000 listeners — down from 8000 — and attracts only 1.1 per cent of the available audience, according to this morning's Nielsen report.

Akermanis-MTR-420-420x0.jpg
Talking back ... Jason Akermanis is among MTR's regular talent. Photo: MTR

Program director, renowned player manager and breakfast host Steve Price said he was disappointed but "determined to make it work".
"There are still many people who don't know it exists," he told The Age. "We have to concentrate on marketing the station and improving the signal strength.
"It's no secret that our signal is less strong in the western and northern suburbs and if you want to tackle the likes of 3AW, you have to be strong in those areas."
But RMIT media commentator Vincent O'Donnell said the station could find it difficult to win listeners in Melbourne.
"Melburnians are open to new ideas but that's not what MTR is offering," he said. "They're reactionary; they tell you what they don't believe in but not what they do believe in.
"If you look at Jon Faine on 774 ABC and even Neil Mitchell on 3AW, they can be conservative but not in a reactionary way. They're both open to ideas."

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Great article from Gordon.

He has a good way of slam dunking the knob ends of this world and putting them back in their place. I recall him aptly describing John Elliott as a tragedy in himself but more to do with 'Much Ado About Nothing'.

The Boy From Brasil

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2007
Noosa, Brasil
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another article about some of the stuff in his book.

Actually, when I posted before that he had a real cheek saying that his time at the Bulldogs was a complete waste of time given that he was earning $350K a year, I was being too kind to him.

From the article.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/all-about-aka-20100913-159be.html

IN THE days after his sacking, Akermanis did a deal with The Footy Show worth $10,000 for a one-off appearance. In addition, Channel Nine paid for a luxury two-bedroom villa at Crown Towers for him and his family. ''It was sheer luxury,'' Akermanis writes.
When he signed his three-year deal with the Bulldogs, Akermanis was paid $425,000 a season, plus $25,000 if the team finished in the top four. He estimates that, with additional media pay and money from speaking engagements, his annual wage was $600,000 a season.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/all-about-aka-20100913-159be.html

I don't think we have treated him too badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back