Some guy gives Johnno a blast!

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO if this wasn't from Aker it would be given a lot more cred.

If you said to me at the start of the year that Fraser, O'Bree, Lockyer and Medhurst would be wasting away in the VFL at the end of the season, I would have thought you were kidding. IMO with the speed of the game you need youth and speed, something which unfortunately Johnno no longer has in large quantities.

The fellow who wrote the article is right in his message. I don't think Johnno is in our best 22 anymore and has probably held his spot cos he is Johnno. I think Rocket is holding out hope that the clubs current spiritual leader will stand up in the finals. This is Johnno's last year and I hope he goes out gracefully and not like Westy did.

The fellow who wrote the article is right in his message. I don't think Johnno is in our best 22 anymore and has probably held his spot cos he is Johnno. I think Rocket is holding out hope that the clubs current spiritual leader will stand up in the finals. This is Johnno's last year and I hope he goes out gracefully and not like Westy did.

I just hope that he doesn't go out gracefully with another PF 'moral victory' in which we lose.

If we were fair dinkum as a club we would make the hard call on BJ and he would not get picked this week and maybe not in the finals either.

I love him but sometimes the hard calls have to be made.
With Higgins out for a couple of weeks, Johnno will probably get a reprieve. Hahn won't add anything by way of pace and very little by way of defensive pressure. Addison aint quick, Stack is raw (and coming back from a hammy), have I missed a stand-out defensive small forward with great pace currently hiding at Williamstown?

I know Johnno is a problem but we aren't exactly flushed with replacements that can do a better job of pressuring the opposition rebounding defenders and locking it in our forward 50. Be thankful Aker no longer plays because that problem would be exacerbated even more - bet he didn't mention that in his rant for the 55 people tuned in to MTR this morning.

With Higgins out for a couple of weeks, Johnno will probably get a reprieve. Hahn won't add anything by way of pace and very little by way of defensive pressure. Addison aint quick, Stack is raw (and coming back from a hammy), have I missed a stand-out defensive small forward with great pace currently hiding at Williamstown?

I know Johnno is a problem but we aren't exactly flushed with replacements that can do a better job of pressuring the opposition rebounding defenders and locking it in our forward 50. Be thankful Aker no longer plays because that problem would be exacerbated even more - bet he didn't mention that in his morning rant.

I agree, replacements aren't exactly banging down the door but the situation should have been avoided as more youth should have been brought in, as opposed of playing BJ injured and out of form because in reality that has been his story this year.

IMO if this wasn't from Aker it would be given a lot more cred.

If you said to me at the start of the year that Fraser, O'Bree, Lockyer and Medhurst would be wasting away in the VFL at the end of the season, I would have thought you were kidding. IMO with the speed of the game you need youth and speed, something which unfortunately Johnno no longer has in large quantities.

You've made tough calls and you're on top. I doubt many of your supporters are still bitter that a few stalwarts aren't getting a game.

We seem to pander to the psychotic minority too often. These 'tear up my membership' types will forget their troubles if the team performs well. They're the first to say 'I never doubted them' later on.

I know Johnno is a problem but we aren't exactly flushed with replacements that can do a better job of pressuring the opposition rebounding defenders and locking it in our forward 50. Be thankful Aker no longer plays because that problem would be exacerbated even more - bet he didn't mention that in his rant for the 55 people tuned in to MTR this morning.

Well said...Aker harps on about not caring what other people think of him yet he can't wait to try and pot Johnno to the public. What will Aker do when MTR folds? I doubt he'll last long at the Hun either.

The funny bit about that article is that all the contents is correct.. If it was done by a different source no one would be bitching. Another reason Aker will be always remembered because he cuts away the fat and gets straight into the meat...

Stop whinging Dogs supporters, you know its true.

You've made tough calls and you're on top. I doubt many of your supporters are still bitter that a few stalwarts aren't getting a game.

We seem to pander to the psychotic minority too often. These 'tear up my membership' types will forget their troubles if the team performs well. They're the first to say 'I never doubted them' later on.

Take your Richmond rant to Bay 13:D

So true though, there are so many who simply like to bash after a loss rather than applaud after a win.

Putting aside his status as a club champion with the ability to make an impact in big matches at key moments, I'd personally want Johnno in the team for the improvement he's given us in an area we were struggling in earlier this season. I'm sure some of you will remember the issues we had at one stage in getting the ball successfully from half back to the forward line; the round 4 match against Brisbane being a particularly good example. With Murph not finding the ball, posters were looking for a solution to what was a significant problem (some even suggested playing Mitch Hahn as a leading half forward target...).

Fast forward to round 20, and every week we now see Johnno providing that vital link that brings the forward line into the game. Surely others have noticed how often he gets himself in space on the lead just outside the fifty metre arc. He takes those marks because he times his leads well, he runs hard and he runs fast. He'll then turn around instantly and fire the ball into one of the leading forwards.

Stats back this up too. Johnno is currently:
  • 15th in the league for marks per game.
  • 2nd in the league for scoring assists per game.

So, as others have already said, if there's someone playing at Williamstown who can play this role better than Johnno, then I'm all for dropping him. But there isn't. He may not be the brilliant player he once was, and he isn't brilliant with his tackling pressure, but he definitely still has a role to play for us.

... Plus he's a club champion with the ability to make an impact in big matches at key moments :eek:

The funny bit about that article is that all the contents is correct.. If it was done by a different source no one would be bitching. Another reason Aker will be always remembered because he cuts away the fat and gets straight into the meat...

WTF are you doing on posting crap on our board...is it mardi gras week in Sydney or something:confused:

... Plus he's a club champion with the ability to make an impact in big matches at key moments :eek:

He WAS a champion player (past tense) and can you name the last BIG game where he had a positive impact? (Im talking about against Collingwood, St Kilda & Geelong here).

This is probably the most accurate he has been in any comment he's made since we drafted him. He doesn't cut straight to the meat, he lathers s**t all over it and then chucks it in the bin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is probably the most accurate he has been in any comment he's made since we drafted him. He doesn't cut straight to the meat, he lathers s**t all over it and then chucks it in the bin.

Aker cuts straight to it how HE believes its gone down. Doesnt mean it's true, in this case it is mate. Plain and simple.
Also apologies I didnt realise this was on the Dogs board, I saw the title as the most recent thing posted and had a read.

The problem is, that Hahn has equally struggled this year when played. He doesn't offer anything more then Johnno especially when it comes to speed. I'd have Johnno over Hahn just based on experience and leadership. And I don't think we can have both in the same team, just too slow and don't hurt the opposition enough.

i have always said johnno is overated,very selfish-wants to win game off his own boot-and the leagues biggest choker.

And the reality is that we have under achieved and won bugger all for over 50 years because we wont make the tough calls that clubs like St Kilda & Collingwood are prepared to make.

Guys like BJ get picked on sentiment, not form (which was the case in Round 1 as well) is a perfect example of this mentality.

how many flags have collingwood and st.kilda won making those had decisions?

as far as i know Malthouse or Lyon have never dropped their captain. Hudgeton lost his spot cause Dawson was keeping his spot in the team, no one is doing that for us to keep Johnno out.

as for Collingwood, they have fringe players currently playing like world beaters, we dont have that and Malthouse has a luxury rocket doesn't have.

anway the main point is Johnson played well last week.....

Aker cuts straight to it how HE believes its gone down. Doesnt mean it's true, in this case it is mate. Plain and simple.
Also apologies I didnt realise this was on the Dogs board, I saw the title as the most recent thing posted and had a read.

Beliefs and facts are quite different.

But yes, his comments on Johnno are fair enough in this instance.

If someone can tell me who Johnson would be keeping out of the side then let me know.

There are no medium forwards knocking the door down at the moment. So to replace him you need to have a better replacement and with Higgins now out prob for the finals I doubt we can afford to drop him.

The problem is that the second tier players won't step up and assume responsibility, or develop until Johnson is gone. It was the same situation with Harvey at St Kilda. Like Johnson he kept getting uncontested possessions and had no defensive game. Young players would keep out of 'his space' like they do with Johnson and Barry Hall. Once he left, hey presto! the Saints are brilliant with everybody playing by the team rules - with no exceptions!

Look at the players Collingwood has unearthed. Did anyone think that Dawes and Blair and Macaffer would be making such essential contributions?

Take a look a Farren Ray at St Kilda vs when he was at the Dogs and see how much he lifted his game when he doesn't have club legends to bow to. Same with Collinwood now that Rocca and Buckley have gone. The younger brigade have taken it to another level. The same problem still exists at the Lions with Power and Black.

To earn his spot Johnson has to reinvent himself much as he did when he changed from a fast wingman into an undersized full forward. Now he needs to become a tagger or a pressuring small forward, neither of which he can do in body or spirit I suspect.

If you want to win the premiership then Johnson has to go. If you are happy with top 4 then keep him in the team.

how many flags have collingwood and st.kilda won making those had decisions?

as far as i know Malthouse or Lyon have never dropped their captain. Hudgeton lost his spot cause Dawson was keeping his spot in the team, no one is doing that for us to keep Johnno out.

as for Collingwood, they have fringe players currently playing like world beaters, we dont have that and Malthouse has a luxury rocket doesn't have.

anway the main point is Johnson played well last week.....

BJ should NEVER have been made captain this year in the first place!

He was starting to struggle with the pace of the game last season and he hasn't gotten any younger OR better this year.

He should have been made a squad player and picked on form and form alone.

He wasn't and now IF he was to be dropped (and he wont be cause Eade doesn't have the ticker to do it) we would have to drop our captain 2 weeks out from the finals. (Which is a much bigger story than just dropping a squad player).

St Kilda dropped Ball and other players last year and they are primed for another GF appearance.

Fraser is sitting on 199 games, do you think Malthouse will play him on sentiment to reach 200?

The top 3 teams are harder mentally than we are and in our case the fish rots from the head.

The problem is that the second tier players won't step up and assume responsibility, or develop until Johnson is gone. It was the same situation with Harvey at St Kilda. Like Johnson he kept getting uncontested possessions and had no defensive game. Young players would keep out of 'his space' like they do with Johnson and Barry Hall. Once he left, hey presto! the Saints are brilliant with everybody playing by the team rules - with no exceptions!

Look at the players Collingwood has unearthed. Did anyone think that Dawes and Blair and Macaffer would be making such essential contributions?

Take a look a Farren Ray at St Kilda vs when he was at the Dogs and see how much he lifted his game when he doesn't have club legends to bow to. Same with Collinwood now that Rocca and Buckley have gone. The younger brigade have taken it to another level. The same problem still exists at the Lions with Power and Black.

To earn his spot Johnson has to reinvent himself much as he did when he changed from a fast wingman into an undersized full forward. Now he needs to become a tagger or a pressuring small forward, neither of which he can do in body or spirit I suspect.

If you want to win the premiership then Johnson has to go. If you are happy with top 4 then keep him in the team.

I agree completely.

Young players would keep out of 'his space' like they do with Johnson and Barry Hall
Yep, that would explain the lack of improvement and development from Jarrad Grant and Liam Jones this season.

There is literally no better alternative to come in and perform this mid sized forward role at the moment. Higgins, Hahn, Stack, Hill - none of them have commanded the role over Johnno based on 2010 form. That's not to mention the bloke who kicked 2 goals in half a season, not to mentioned be constantly exploited because of a complete lack of defensive pressure, before being flicked. It is a weakspot in the Dogs current list and it can't be fixed between now and the end of the season. I have no issue with Johnno having his form questioned but please tell me who the ready-made replacement is that will have the Geelong, St Kilda and Collingwood rebounding defenders cowering in fear?

He WAS a champion player (past tense) and can you name the last BIG game where he had a positive impact? (Im talking about against Collingwood, St Kilda & Geelong here).

Round 22 last year against Collingwood springs immediately to mind. We wanted that 3rd spot and Johnno got us there by setting up Higgins for the second last goal, and then putting through the last one. And I don't think either of us can proclaim to KNOW that he will or will not be able to do similar in this year's finals.

And as fun as selective quotes are, you didn't exactly address the main point of my post. If we drop Johnson, who do we have that can play the assist role better than him? Hahn is too slow and wouldn't find the ball enough, Hill doesn't work hard enough, Gia is played either closer to goals or in the guts, Hall is needed at Full Forward, Grant and Jones don't get enough of the ball, Murphy struggled when played there earlier this year and has been awesome as a rebounding defender, Higgo is struggling in general... Did I miss anyone?

It's all very well to say that we should drop him, but unless we have someone who can do better at providing a pathway to goal the idea is fundamentally flawed.

I know it's a little backwards given we're talking about Brad Johnson here, but it seems that those calling for him to be dropped aren't thinking about this as logically as they should.

Aker just does not know how to keep his mouth shut unfortunately, and it's a trait of a person scorned to want to bite back at their enemy. Aker saw a chance to get one back and of course he leapt to it. Unlikely to be the last time Aker slams into the Doggies under the guise of footballing objectivity.

It's classless of him to point out that Johnson is injured and past it and a hinderance to your team, or "done" as he said it. Completely classless.

BJ should NEVER have been made captain this year in the first place!

He was starting to struggle with the pace of the game last season and he hasn't gotten any younger OR better this year.

He should have been made a squad player and picked on form and form alone.

He wasn't and now IF he was to be dropped (and he wont be cause Eade doesn't have the ticker to do it) we would have to drop our captain 2 weeks out from the finals. (Which is a much bigger story than just dropping a squad player).

St Kilda dropped Ball and other players last year and they are primed for another GF appearance.

Fraser is sitting on 199 games, do you think Malthouse will play him on sentiment to reach 200?

The top 3 teams are harder mentally than we are and in our case the fish rots from the head.

must of been tough for Lyon to drop Ball when they were undefeated, he played in the grand final loss anyway...

Fraser has never been a good player to begin with, id say Malthouse wont play him simply for the fact Jolly is by far a btter ruckman.

now who are the players missing that deserve to be in the team to replace Johnno's role in the side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back