Some MCC seats to be avilable to club members Prelim & GF - Caroline Wilson

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
And the ******* dress code. Get ******, Im wearing my colours (sorry Sir, I didnt realise blah blah ead).
Colours are allowed in the MCC, just need to wear a collar.

Also it's not that expensive, just need to be on a waiting list for a million years.

Frazb

Senior List
Jun 26, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Good move by the mcc. Be a nightmare to enforce. I know id be dirty if i couldnt get in being an mcc member though.

4n20Blaze

Senior List
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Colours are allowed in the MCC, just need to wear a collar.

Also it's not that expensive, just need to be on a waiting list for a million years.

Yes I know but its so archaic. And people think they are sooooo good for being there. So irritatingly elitist.

And you can just leave your scarf on a seat and noone else touches it. Try that in the seats of the unwashed and its nicked before you put it down. Thats real footy. I prefer behind the goals anyday.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
If i had a spare 5 billion, Id build a 110,000 seater and have a section called the MCC - Melbourne Cooked campaigners and itd only be open to members who agreed to turn up in attire that took the piss out of the MCG MCC. Youd also have to show your last tax return that earned under 110ka year.

Anyone who is a member of the MCG MCC still gets their own special section when they visit though to make them feel at home with fences and everything. Except that the scoreboard will pan to them periodically throughout the game and lead the rest of the crowd through a "you are a w***er" chant. And we would throw poo at them.

Seriously, as someone who has been to the MCC upwards of 100 times through my uncle being a member (oh lala) there is nothing special at all about it to justify the fees. And the ******* dress code. Get ******, Im wearing my colours (sorry Sir, I didnt realise blah blah ead).

Having unfettered access to every event at the MCG makes it a good deal imo. Good that you don't have a chip on your shoulder about it.

Spacedog

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
They already do this for restricted members? The MCC is never going to be empty on grand final day. About half of the Mcc members can't even get in...

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
I found that my views on privilege tend to change once I attain it.

Needless to say that now I am a member, I spat a fine Port all over my cravat once I heard this.

I'm in a similar boat. Sure, things like healthcare and education should be as accessible to as many people as possible, but attending major sporting events isn't something people should feel entitled to do unless they can fork out the required funds.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I'm in a similar boat. Sure, things like healthcare and education should be as accessible to as many people as possible, but attending major sporting events isn't something people should feel entitled to do unless they can fork out the required funds.

I think the issue is not that MCC members get preference - I'm cool with that.

It's when the MCC reserve is not full (eg 2015 GF) and people miss out on getting to the game.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Because it’s utter bullshit?

The next upgrade of the MCG is fully funded by the MCC.

The MCC has a waiting list of 25 years and is $500+ a year. It’s another 10+ years for full membership and a grand final ticket.

We wait and pay for the privilege to sit there, rubbish that single year club members could be eligible to sit there whilst restricted members who could of been on the books for 30 years miss out.

So maybe it should be full MCC members get preference, followed by restricted MCC members, followed by club members.

I think the issue is there should be no empty seats on GF day when there are so many people that miss out.

Not just the MCC btw. I would also look at what happens to corporate tickets, etc.

I stood at the 2014 and 2015 GFs despite having a seat and I know plenty of people that did this. The AFL should have some sort of scheme where people that have seats can trade in for a standing room ticket, so more people can attend. The MCG staff were happy for us to stand in a non-allocated standing room area as long as we behaved ourselves.

There are many people who can and are willing to fork out the funds but can’t get to the GF . This rule at least in theory addresses that issue. If it ends up being an /on the day thing , it will really only benefit Victorian based fans though :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks1976

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
MCC members FUND the ground development; should be given priority OVER any body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Spot on we pay annual fee for the right to attend when we please. Happy to allow restricted members access on gf day if area not full. Teams members don’t deserve access to this area until they starting paying fee to the Mcc

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have no issues with MCC seats open for club members if they are going to miss out and the MCC isn’t going to fill up. I assume for finals and GF all restricted and provisional members would get first choice. And then at a certain time the club members given access. It seems like it could become a bit of a debacle.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There maybe a few MCC members puting their name in the GG ballot and then not turning up. But that means they can’t go in the ballot the next year. I’d say that happens most years.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Seriously, as someone who has been to the MCC upwards of 100 times through my uncle being a member (oh lala) there is nothing special at all about it to justify the fees. And the ******* dress code. Get ******, Im wearing my colours (sorry Sir, I didnt realise blah blah ead).
Whats special about it is you can rock up to any game at the G and mostly always get a seat on the wing on lvl 1.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
The whole lining up and waiting is an antiquated concept in itself. Pre-booking tickets (at margin cost) is a far better idea and the addition cost would ensure people attend. I agree with the call for Provisional members being able to sit in seats if the Full Members do not prebook seats for finals and major games. There is nothing worse than having a 'Sell-Out' only to see half the MCC seats empty.

Back