Some MCC seats to be avilable to club members Prelim & GF - Caroline Wilson

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
The whole lining up and waiting is an antiquated concept in itself. Pre-booking tickets (at margin cost) is a far better idea and the addition cost would ensure people attend. I agree with the call for Provisional members being able to sit in seats if the Full Members do not prebook seats for finals and major games. There is nothing worse than having a 'Sell-Out' only to see half the MCC seats empty.
Yeah the Ticketek debacles show how great that system is!

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
The whole lining up and waiting is an antiquated concept in itself. Pre-booking tickets (at margin cost) is a far better idea and the addition cost would ensure people attend. I agree with the call for Provisional members being able to sit in seats if the Full Members do not prebook seats for finals and major games. There is nothing worse than having a 'Sell-Out' only to see half the MCC seats empty.
The pre booked tickets are in rubbish areas, and we've seen how ticketek handle things.

I much prefer the system currently where I have control of my own destiny - turn up early and sit where i want.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only thing I want from the MCC is some of their members to die!

14 years on the bloody list and counting. :shoutyoldman:

Oh snap man, you've got a bit to go I reckon.

I got mine at 18 and that was in 1998! The burst from the war vets has been and the boomers are not going into the night without a fight.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The only thing I want from the MCC is some of their members to die!

14 years on the bloody list and counting. :shoutyoldman:

Modern medicine isn't helping your cause.

Also since 1984 females have been allowed to be members.

I guess that one of the privileges when I was born was a) modern medicine still improving and b) only half the population could join.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
The pre booked tickets are in rubbish areas, and we've seen how ticketek handle things.

I much prefer the system currently where I have control of my own destiny - turn up early and sit where i want.

You could still have a system where you pre-book an entry into the Member's reserve with no allocated seats. So you could still turn up early and sit where you want.

Non MCC members would be allowed entry say at 2.00pm so they can end up in the rubbish areas.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im so confused? People wait 25+ years to be a member and then spend hours lining up out the front (or sleeping out). Its 4.15 and there is a line miles long. Regular Members and AFL members will stroll about 30 mins before scan their ticket and grab their seat.

What is the big fuss about being a MCC member. Seems like a horrible system.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Caroline Wilson saying on 3aw , a little known detail that as part of the MCG hosting the GF fo the next 40 years , they will have to make available unused MCC seats for Preliminary Finals and Grand Finals , after a certain time , to competing club members who have missed out on tickets.

Provisional and Restricted MCC Members get first dibs, usually at about 11am, if the Reserve doesnt look like being full for the GF. It would be very rare indeed that they would need to tap outside that pool of people to fill the ground but it has happened in the past to my recollection.

Prelims are rarely sold out so really irrelevant.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im so confused? People wait 25+ years to be a member and then spend hours lining up out the front (or sleeping out). Its 4.15 and there is a line miles long. Regular Members and AFL members will stroll about 30 mins before scan their ticket and grab their seat.

And they have to pay year in year out without fail. They cant just opt in when their team is playing well. No downhill skiiing for MCC Members.

Biggest club in the AFL.

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
Modern medicine isn't helping your cause.

Also since 1984 females have been allowed to be members.

I guess that one of the privileges when I was born was a) modern medicine still improving and b) only half the population could join.

Allowing female members hasnt really changed the numbers at all because the old MCC Membership was effectively two tickets........one for the Member and a "Ladies ticket" for any female guest or child.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon

It's really about being able to get the best seat, rather than being free to sit there refreshing a website on some other day until sales open and finding that the "best available" is some s**t spot you wouldn't choose (different people have different priorities: undercover, near a screen, near a bar, aisle seat etc). Its not as if there isn't the option to reserve a seat and turn up later if you want to avoid the queuing.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Allowing female members hasnt really changed the numbers at all because the old MCC Membership was effectively two tickets........one for the Member and a "Ladies ticket" for any female guest or child.

It would impact on the waiting list numbers though. Now a male member who has three daughters can put all of them on the waiting list, whilst prior to 1984 this would not have been possible.

Another factor which makes it popular is how there are no suburban football grounds the AFL sides use.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would impact on the waiting list numbers though. Now a male member who has three daughters can put all of them on the waiting list, whilst prior to 1984 this would not have been possible.

Another factor which makes it popular is how there are no suburban football grounds the AFL sides use.

The membership numbers are higher though because it’s one member one ticket compared to the old days.

Definitely ground rationalisation has increased its popularity. As has the stand development fifteen years ago. It’s awesome compared to the shitty old grandstand

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The membership numbers are higher though because it’s one member one ticket compared to the old days.

Definitely ground rationalisation has increased its popularity. As has the stand development fifteen years ago. It’s awesome compared to the shitty old grandstand

I admit to missing the old smokers stand.

The stand needed to be replace I agrre. 2002 Granny I was top level Olympic Stand, last row :)

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
MCC members are embarrassing. And the AFL should be actively lobbying the government to diminish their share of AFL tickets.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

If you mean the $10 reserved seats, I don't believe that's quite accurate. For level 2/3, yes walk ups get the seats on the wing in front of the coaches boxes on level 2 (N47/48) and their choice on level 3 in front of the FGS bar, but if you're looking at level 1 behind the benches or the front rows on level 4 on the wing, as far as I'm aware, that's all reserved seating and the walk ups are relegated to the pocket (level 1) and the pocket and/or nosebleeds (level 4).

For a big final, unless you like to queue up for two hours before the gates open, personally I think reserved seats are - by far - the best way to be guaranteed a fantastic spot.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
If you mean the $10 reserved seats, I don't believe that's quite accurate. For level 2/3, yes walk ups get the seats on the wing in front of the coaches boxes on level 2 (N47/48) and their choice on level 3 in front of the FGS bar, but if you're looking at level 1 behind the benches or the front rows on level 4 on the wing, as far as I'm aware, that's all reserved seating and the walk ups are relegated to the pocket (level 1) and the pocket and/or nosebleeds (level 4).

For a big final, unless you like to queue up for two hours before the gates open, personally I think reserved seats are - by far - the best way to be guaranteed a fantastic spot.
I'd thought the level 1 seats were also further round twd ponsford. Good to know there's better spots than I'd thought if I know I won't have time on match day.

I normally show up when gates open to get a spot in front of the coach's boxes, and it's nice to able to choose under cover if needed or a bit closer if not etc. You just don't get those options with a website, you get plonked someplace random to suit a computer or miss out. Ok Google that's not what i wanted.

Cudi_420

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2010
East Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Being an MCC member myself (Provisional), I can't understand why the MCC doesn't allow provisional members the chance to attend finals once all full and restricted members get a chance to purchase tickets. I know I'm not entitled to, but bums on seats are better then empty areas. I'm still a paying member and would purchase and additional ticket to attend finals so the MCC and still profiting off me.

Same goes for Boxing Day Test. Provisional members should be allowed entry on day 1 for example if Aus are playing less attracting teams, Pakistan, South Africa etc. instead of only getting 60,000, I'm sure a lot more would attend if they opened it up to provisional members once attendance estimations were done.

Because we're peasants, obviously.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's really about being able to get the best seat, rather than being free to sit there refreshing a website on some other day until sales open and finding that the "best available" is some s**t spot you wouldn't choose (different people have different priorities: undercover, near a screen, near a bar, aisle seat etc). Its not as if there isn't the option to reserve a seat and turn up later if you want to avoid the queuing.
Maybe your more patient than me
But wanting in a massive line 5 hours or the night before a big game wouldn’t simply wreck the day for me.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood

Melbourne supporters make up the largest proportion of MCC members.

It was Melbourne’s first final in over a decade, supporters were pumped.

You had the option of trying to reserve a seat via Ticketek if you wanted, but many people prefer to queue to ensure they get their preferred seat.

The members obviously are happy to get there early, hence that is why they retain a 50/50 split of walk up and reserved seating.

Also encourages members to then spend money in the reserve at the food outlets and bars...again which many members are happy to do.

Back