Some MCC seats to be avilable to club members Prelim & GF - Caroline Wilson

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I prefer the reserved option, when I can't get there an hour before gates open to go for a balcony seat. When I get tickets for visitors, especially for games like Anzac Day, I always advise them that the $10 extra for a reserved seat is money well spent. But again, I can understand if others feel differently and choose not to spend even more money on tickets when they feel like they've already contributed a fair bit to their membership.
For every Richmond final since 2013 you've had to get there 3 hours early to get a balcony seat. For last year's prelim the line started really filling after 12pm.

Reserved seats are convenient, but they're also inferior - L1 or L4 while the best seats are on L2 and L3.

As a restricted member, I've received the grand final morning email a few times offering the chance to pay $180-odd to attend. Hawks-Freo/Eagles, Swans-Dogs I think.

I was living in Richmond in 2012 when the Hawks and Adelaide played that classic prelim. I walked down at halftime and stood just outside the sliding doors on the balcony, next to the long room. I don't want to ever lose that option but I guess it's fair enough if people are dying to go.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
AFL members dont have to buy a ticket to get into finals, if there are seats left over from the reserve sale, they can scan in. This happens very rarely. Think the last time it happened was the Cats-Swans semi in 2017.

I'm also not wanting to be outraged, I just know I've seen enough to know that the MCC reserve is highly unlikely to be full on Friday, whereas the rest of the ground will be 99% filled.

10% attendance rate is absolutely shocking. Like, if GWS only got 2,000 fans to their game, everyone would be calling for them to be removed from the league. Yet the MCC seems to skirt all blame, and relies on guest passes to boost the attendance The MCC needs to enforce an attendance rate over say, a five year period. If you don't turn up enough times within five years, without a good reason (Like living out of the state) then you are kicked out. Should boost the attendance nicely.

You see that big Southern stand that occupies a third of the ground? Guess who paid for that? The AFL members did. The AFL chipped in the money to build the stand, in turn for a hefty portion of it to be dedicated to the AFL members. So the AFL members do pay for the stadium. To add to this, the spectators also help pay for the stadium. They pay the gate fee, as well as food and drinks, and consume the advertisement. They also pay for the stadium. So stating that the MCC members are the only ones paying for the stadium is flat out false.

I'll have to dig for it, but the AFL members area is about 21,000 seats. Last grand Final, 14,000 seats were sold to AFL members. The rest were given to the various corporate obiligation. And that's only for the Grand Final. I believe regular finals have about 17,000 seats. But that information isn't as open as the GF is.

So only 30,000 AFL members were eligible for tickets, and the tickets sold out in about an hour.

AFL members did not pay for the great southern stand ya goose. State gov did which was underwritten by the MCC as the custodians of the MCG. That’s like saying the corporates paid for it. AFL membership is a trifle and no different to the comings and goings of corporate sponsors. The MCC has underwritten the whole shebang for over 150 years. Pay their subscriptions every year.

AFL members, pfff....don’t make me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
For every Richmond final since 2013 you've had to get there 3 hours early to get a balcony seat. For last year's prelim the line started really filling after 12pm.

Reserved seats are convenient, but they're also inferior - L1 or L4 while the best seats are on L2 and L3.

As a restricted member, I've received the grand final morning email a few times offering the chance to pay $180-odd to attend. Hawks-Freo/Eagles, Swans-Dogs I think.

I was living in Richmond in 2012 when the Hawks and Adelaide played that classic prelim. I walked down at halftime and stood just outside the sliding doors on the balcony, next to the long room. I don't want to ever lose that option but I guess it's fair enough if people are dying to go.

About the inferiority of reserved seats - that's true, but they're generally much better than the GA options on those levels, so to me it's an insurance policy, if I get stuck at work. I can still go and be assured of a very good seat.

Agree balcony is the way to go if you can manage, if only for the ticket souvenirs that the attendants hand to you, if your team ends up going on to win the flag. Pretty sweet to have the set of QF/PF/GF passes in N47/48 for that year.

Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
About the inferiority of reserved seats - that's true, but they're generally much better than the GA options on those levels, so to me it's an insurance policy, if I get stuck at work. I can still go and be assured of a very good seat.

Agree balcony is the way to go if you can manage, if only for the ticket souvenirs that the attendants hand to you, if your team ends up going on to win the flag. Pretty sweet to have the set of QF/PF/GF passes in N47/48 for that year.
The trouble with it is the double dipping. I love walk up and truly think 100% walkup is the best way to fill the empty space. I loathe computer generated "best available" when it is such a subjective thing anyway.

Take the dream time match as an example. I bought a ticket for a mate who is self employed and I wasn't sure if he'd be off work early enough to do the cue. I reserved a seat because of this and the fact it's a big fixture, but opted for an area he would be able to access as a guest as the balcony pass application balot wasn't finished. When I found out my pass application was successful and he got away from work on time, we went and grabbed a walk up seat in n47. So who sits in the seats I reserved?

I don't think the solution is to ticket the lot. Ticketing simply leads to ticketed no-shows, which the empty reserve seats essentially are in any case. Fully ticketed would just double down on it.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The trouble with it is the double dipping. I love walk up and truly think 100% walkup is the best way to fill the empty space. I loathe computer generated "best available" when it is such a subjective thing anyway.

Take the dream time match as an example. I bought a ticket for a mate who is self employed and I wasn't sure if he'd be off work early enough to do the cue. I reserved a seat because of this and the fact it's a big fixture, but opted for an area he would be able to access as a guest as the balcony pass application balot wasn't finished. When I found out my pass application was successful and he got away from work on time, we went and grabbed a walk up seat in n47. So who sits in the seats I reserved?

I don't think the solution is to ticket the lot. Ticketing simply leads to ticketed no-shows, which the empty reserve seats essentially are in any case. Fully ticketed would just double down on it.
Agree with this. I think a lot will have reserved a seat on level 4 because they weren't sure of their timing/plans/lockout/weather etc but will turn up and sit in better seats in walk up areas. What happens to their reserved seat? Can another walk up go and sit in it? Do they check tickets in the reserved areas? This problem could be exacerbated by the fact they now sell as reserved seating as much of level 4 as demand dictates. Previously only small parts were sold. If it's raining people will probably stick with level 4 but for a game with good weather I can see them running into problems.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
This problem could be exacerbated by the fact they now sell as reserved seating as much of level 4 as demand dictates. Previously only small parts were sold. If it's raining people will probably stick with level 4 but for a game with good weather I can see them running into problems.
For tomorrow's match they have pre-sold the entire Level 4. The only walk up areas are on the other three levels with the majority being L1 (in the rain).

There may well end up being gaps on L1 tomorrow night but that does not seem as inflammatory to the general footy public as spare spots on L4.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
For tomorrow's match they have pre-sold the entire Level 4. The only walk up areas are on the other three levels with the majority being L1 (in the rain).

There may well end up being gaps on L1 tomorrow night but that does not seem as inflammatory to the general footy public as spare spots on L4.

With the predicted weather I don't think you'll notice. There will be gaps everywhere on level 1.

The cynic in me wonders if this is purely an attempt to stop the whinging without making a difference to the actual attendance. It's actually pretty unfair on the members, as it means you either pay for a ticket, queue up at 3:30 or you're sitting in the rain.

On the positive side, it looked like the cattle grid out the front has largely gone, due to there not being many walk ups available anymore and of course that removes a lot of the guesswork ahead of time.

I found that my views on privilege tend to change once I attain it.

Needless to say that now I am a member, I spat a fine Port all over my cravat once I heard this.
As someone who has been on the waiting list for the last 15 years, needless to say I am eagerly awaiting your demise.

As someone who has been on the waiting list for the last 15 years, needless to say I am eagerly awaiting your demise.

Wait on, pal. I'm heading in tonight, to a game I'm not even interested in, just cos all the Collingwood and Geelong fans I know can't get tickets. I might even sling my jacket over my shoulder when I walk in, full preppy style, kind of like I did at the Collingwood-Richmond prelim last year. Also sold out to the general public, as I recall. Also a game I had no interest in.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
MCC members FUND the ground development; should be given priority OVER any body.

You're joking aren't you? Or are you referring to the creative but essentially legal taxation loophole that is being exploited by the state-government owned MCG Trust "borrowing" money from the MCC to fund the stadium redevelopment and precinct projects, and then repaying that debt back to the MCC, at a tidy interest rate? And what, just because the sizeable contribution of the Victorian taxpayer is accounted for in the books of the MCG Trust rather than the MCC, what you guys think that it is solely MCC members footing the bill for the upgrades and running of the stadium??!! 😂😂 Jeez i would have expected an MCC member to be more financially astute and know how to read your own annual report and be aware of your own fiscal position

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
You're joking aren't you? Or are you referring to the creative but essentially legal taxation loophole that is being exploited by the state-government owned MCG Trust "borrowing" money from the MCC to fund the stadium redevelopment and precinct projects, and then repaying that debt back to the MCC, at a tidy interest rate? And what, just because the sizeable contribution of the Victorian taxpayer is accounted for in the books of the MCG Trust rather than the MCC, what you guys think that it is solely MCC members footing the bill for the upgrades and running of the stadium??!! Jeez i would have expected an MCC member to be more financially astute and know how to read your own annual report and be aware of your own fiscal position

No, underwritten. Google it if you don’t understand what that means.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No, underwritten. Google it if you don’t understand what that means.

Oh OK genius, well considering it is highly unlikely the MCC would be assuming the financial risk on behalf of the state government from a loan perspective for funding of these redevelopments, you're only "underwriting" as you succinctly term it, the MCC's investment into the redevelopment. Which makes it just another institutional debt instrument and the creative accounting of capital raising and expenditure like i said, one that is in most cases if not all when there is multiple investors raising capital, not just one being the MCC members as you have asserted.

If youre referring however to the recent redevlopment of the Yarra Precinct area that the MCC did pay for these capital works, as in the stormwater harvesting system, carpark resurfacing, security and road upgrades etc then yes you're right. However it is completely appropriate that the MCC should be footing the bill for these without expecting a tip in from the taxpayer or others, they were works that directly reduce your operational costs and improve the overall service offering and revenue of the MCC itself as the managing body of the ground. And the effective asset life of the infrastructure you funded is at best 25 years or so...still within your contracted management tenancy so the MCC is the one who obtains the benefit of these capital improvements, noone else. So Im not sure exactly how you think that just because MCC members have foot the bill for things that benefit themselves and the profit position of their own organisation - which theres absolutely nothing wrong with that by the way its the way capitalist society works after all - its however a bit rich and supremely arrogant and overstating your own position asserting that the MCC members basically paid for the very seats we all sit on at the G and thus everyone else has lesser rights to be there than those who enter at gate 2, because its simply not correct

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This is what they did, changed the rules for the 2019 season. They agreed to more actively manage the reserve for public sell outs when the reserve looks like it won't fill up. Firstly by allowing more vistor tickets, then if needed allowing provisional members in and as a last resort the public.

Arent visitors seats really just a money spinner for the MCC?
Footy fans first not the cricket club.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
AFL members did not pay for the great southern stand ya goose. State gov did which was underwritten by the MCC as the custodians of the MCG. That’s like saying the corporates paid for it. AFL membership is a trifle and no different to the comings and goings of corporate sponsors. The MCC has underwritten the whole shebang for over 150 years. Pay their subscriptions every year.

AFL members, pfff....don’t make me laugh.

so the sleaze bag deal that underwrote the 2057 GF deal will be the first time the Victorian taxpayer will be underwriting the cricket club ?

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Wait on, pal. I'm heading in tonight, to a game I'm not even interested in, just cos all the Collingwood and Geelong fans I know can't get tickets. I might even sling my jacket over my shoulder when I walk in, full preppy style, kind of like I did at the Collingwood-Richmond prelim last year. Also sold out to the general public, as I recall. Also a game I had no interest in.
preppy.jpg

TigerBoy1999

Rookie
Nov 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
If i had a spare 5 billion, Id build a 110,000 seater and have a section called the MCC - Melbourne Cooked campaigners and itd only be open to members who agreed to turn up in attire that took the piss out of the MCG MCC. Youd also have to show your last tax return that earned under 110ka year.

Anyone who is a member of the MCG MCC still gets their own special section when they visit though to make them feel at home with fences and everything. Except that the scoreboard will pan to them periodically throughout the game and lead the rest of the crowd through a "you are a w***er" chant. And we would throw poo at them.

Seriously, as someone who has been to the MCC upwards of 100 times through my uncle being a member (oh lala) there is nothing special at all about it to justify the fees. And the ******* dress code. Get f’ed, Im wearing my colours (sorry Sir, I didnt realise blah blah ead).
What's special about it is you get access to every game and final.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
so the sleaze bag deal that underwrote the 2057 GF deal will be the first time the Victorian taxpayer will be underwriting the cricket club ?

The vict gov wants the GF in vict. In order to do that they needed to pay. Not sure why you see that as sleazy as you must get worried buying the milk each week. Given that it’s sleazy to want something and have to pay for it.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The vict gov wants the GF in vict. In order to do that they needed to pay. Not sure why you see that as sleazy as you must get worried buying the milk each week. Given that it’s sleazy to want something and have to pay for it.

Its sleazy because the encumbents kept the rest out, knocked out a deal that suited them & them only, not necessarily what was best for the game, it was sleaze.
When I buy my milk I check out whats available & select accordingly. Fair dinkum, do you have a deal for next week, next year, 2050?

The Vic Govt was acting out of self interest & as a Vic taxpayer I've got no complaint. Did they pay the going rate, who knows, as a fan of AFL footy I ask why, why dont we know?
Damn convincing those numbers in the 2050s.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
How are those AFL members going this week? Can’t get tickets?

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This whole empty MCC seats thing for sold out finals could be an issue again Thursday and Friday night.
MCC have presold level 4 as reserved seating but the majority of level 1 and parts of 2/3 are available as walk up seating, with the rest of the stadium sold out. With a shizen weather forecast for Thursday and not much better on Friday, is there a risk that many of those seats go unused?

Back in 2018 the MCC agreed to be more proactive in filling their reserve for sold out games. One of the changes was pre selling all of level 4 if the demand is there, which means it is unlikely to have empty bits for big games. The other change was to more actively monitor it on the night and if it looks like not filling then opening it up to their provisional members (only full and restricted members have had access to these 2 games so far) and allowing extra visitor tickets, and finally opening to the public as a last resort.

Not sure how they would manage this though. I know GF day they put out tweets late morning/early afternoon letting their restricted members know whether they can get walkup tickets, but that's because their full members get there very early in the morning and by lunch time they have a good idea of the situation. For a week 1 rainy Thursday/Friday night people will be rocking up later. But if they are releasing extra tickets to provisional/visitors/public they would need to do it an hour or more before the bounce to give people a chance. It would all be very tricky to manage.

I hope it's full but it would be a bad look if there are big empty bits on either night and they have't opened it to the public.

Back