Analysis Some perspective amidst the chaos

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries are also a factor. The number of weeks for which clubs will be without players are as follows. (Ignoring "Test", "TBC,"TBA" and "Indefinite".)

Western Bulldogs 52
Coll 49
Carl 45
GWS 30
Syd 29
Adel 24
Ess 19
WC 15
Haw 15
Bris 12
Melb 12
Freo 9
StK 8
Pt Ad 7
Nth 6
Geel 3
GC 2
Rich 0

Injuries are also a factor. The number of weeks for which clubs will be without players are as follows. (Ignoring "Test", "TBC,"TBA" and "Indefinite".)

Western Bulldogs 52
Coll 49
Carl 45
GWS 30
Syd 29
Adel 24
Ess 19
WC 15
Haw 15
Bris 12
Melb 12
Freo 9
StK 8
Pt Ad 7
Nth 6
Geel 3
GC 2
Rich 0

I was wondering about this exact stat today. Thanks for looking it up and posting.

Western Bulldogs 52
Coll 49
Carl 45
GWS 30
Syd 29
Adel 24
Ess 19
WC 15
Haw 15
Bris 12
Melb 12
Freo 9
StK 8
Pt Ad 7
Nth 6
Geel 3
GC 2
Rich 0
I'd like this post if I didn't find it so bloody annoying.
2016 all over again, but we were able to cope then.
Ten players injured after just two games.
Is it just bad luck?

Great post.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that a team so young has so many glaring deficiencies that are directly attributable to exactly that, inexperience.

Contested Footy
- As was touched on, our boys are being beat up all over the ground, for a team that in the past has prided itself (and masked its weaknesses) on contested footy, but then to be -30CP at half-time the other day just shows you where we are at.

Composure / Delivery inside 50
- The game seems to be a little bit fast for most of the lads to this point, and that's OK, there is scope for improvement here. Our stand-out performer through 2 rounds is Macrae, and it's no surprise again that he has the ability to wait that extra second, lower his eyes, and put it to his mans advantage. Would love for the kids to use Jack as an example.

Zone
- this deficiency mixed with CP stats is the biggest contributor to where we are at right now as a unit. 4 of our starting back 6 the other day had less than 40 games experience IIRC, 2 of which were in key posts (Naughton / Zaine). When the blokes up the ground aren't winning first use of the ball, automatically the backs are under pressure. The single biggest killer though, is setting up after someone has turned the ball over. In Round 1 we conceded ~85 points from turnovers, a mark we hadn't (I don't think) reached under Bevo (a mark of a great coach, by the way). Round 2, this was exceeded and the Eagles scored ~90 points from turnovers. Broadly this is a concentration thing, and we shouldn't expect a bloke with less than 40 games is able to implement for 4 quarters at a time (let alone 1/2 games!).

For the record, the 2nd quarter the other day was the only howler, so again, our young blokes are doing 1/2 or 3/4 of the job for the most part.

The good news is, we do have some top end talent, and a good mix of it. While we do as a fan base expect some consistent improvement, we should appreciate the current predicament the club is in, trust that our head office are the right people for the job, and stay unified. Leave the booing at HT/FT for the other teams, and help our kids along the way, hey?
Excellent post and observations I had not considered.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Western Bulldogs 52
Coll 49
Carl 45
GWS 30
Syd 29
Adel 24
Ess 19
WC 15
Haw 15
Bris 12
Melb 12
Freo 9
StK 8
Pt Ad 7
Nth 6
Geel 3
GC 2
Rich 0
Sobering reading. Thanks for digging those stats up adsum :thumbsu:

For the record, the 2nd quarter the other day was the only howler, so again, our young blokes are doing 1/2 or 3/4 of the job for the most part.

Agree. I was a bit surprised myself to see that early in the last, despite failing the eye test miserably, we'd only had 1 or 2 less shots. (Then obviously they kicked away late.)

Very good post.

Some excellent and insightful posts here in the last 12 hours. :thumbsu: Restores my faith a bit in what BF can be.

Good use of simple stats too, without being too polemical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back