Some questions about Rugby.

Remove this Banner Ad

t. Just no comparrison really over the longer distance kicks (because, well, it's not a absolute necessity when you're more likely to attack with the ball in hand when you get a penalty on half way).

Of course, but if you saw the ESl GF, Bomber, the young St. Helens lad kicked from the centre spot when a restart went over the dead ball line. But that's uncommon, certainly.

union balls are rounder and easier to torp but league balls are pointier and easier to pass, can always kick a gilbert a good 5-10m further. I just think Mint Condition needs to work on his accuracy more.

union balls are rounder and easier to torp but league balls are pointier and easier to pass, can always kick a gilbert a good 5-10m further. I just think Mint Condition needs to work on his accuracy more.

I said it goes further! But it does move weirdly in the air sometimes, particularly off the tee. You can see it in this rugby world cup, the ball will be going perfectly straight and then at the last minute just veer one way or the other (and not always because of the wind). Maybe because it's rounder it's easier for it to lose its form in the air. I'm not basing it on my own kicking. I was never a kicker. But I have spoken to some rugby kickers who've practiced with both balls and they've told me they think the steeden is more accurate (admittedly it's a small sample size).

That's a nice article Auckmel! I don't think the Wallabies will lack any belief. Neither will the All Blacks. Hopefully we get a classic.

4. There's less space in Union. The defensive line is up at the ruck, in league the defenders are further back.

In union, players can't be isolated aka run without support (they need to release the ball when tackled). Breaking a line or running the ball back is useless if you're doing it alone. Penalty for failing to release and -3 points.

^^ This 0497. There's much less consequence for a failed attempt at a line break in league compared to union, and less space to build pace and assess options in union, thats why u see less. This in no way means league backs are superior.

There have been plenty of running 'line-breaking' backs over the years who have played both Union and League. In general, the level they play at one seems to be the level they reach at the other. It's rare to have a star at one code switch to the other and flop completely. Usually they are a bit more comfortable with the code they started with (naturally).

Sailor wasn't anywhere near as good at Union as he was at League, Tuquiri was about the same, Rogers was a star at League and was a disappointing at Union. Papworth looked a genius at Union, but couldn't quite cut it at League.

There are plenty of examples, but no clear sign of one being better than the other.

I'd agree with most of that. The skill sets required are quite different, and not everyone adapts to both. Don't know how it is in Australia, but in England no-one these days moves from union to league (more money in union), so we don't get the chance to see if union players can hack it at league. There's still a steady drip of players going the other way, though, with varying levels of success.

I suppose logically it *should* be easier to go from union to league than the other way round.

Gareth Thomas went over to league didn't he? How has he done? I suppose he switched when he was already in his mid 30's though.

You see a few switch from union to league here but mostly they're junior rugby stars picked up by league clubs at 17-18 so they have a couple of years to adapt before they make it to first grade. That might change with rugby league's new tv deal though.

. Don't know how it is in Australia, but in England no-one these days moves from union to league (more money in union), .

Greater opportunities to earn a living playing league than union in Australia.

Its still the case that you get union schoolboys turning to play league professionally.

Best crossover is probably Brad Thorn. Starting for the All Blacks spent a few successful years in league with the Broncos, some Origin and Kangaroos experience.

Extremely rare for forwards to crossover.

A couple of questions:

Is there a limit to number of interchanges a team can make?

Deliberate ankle taps and trips are allowed?? wow.. Dustin Fletcher must be shaking his head at how many weeks he had to sit out for accidentally doing them!

And isnt the ref allowed to talk to anyone but the Cpt? Saw just before HT the ref was telling McCaw to 'have a word with No.4 to release and walk away' even tho Thorn was just standing right there?
Of course Richie ignored him coz its pointless/obvious but then the ref said again "Please have that word" while play goes on! Srsly who cares, move on? or tell him yourself!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of questions:

Is there a limit to number of interchanges a team can make?

And isnt the ref allowed to talk to anyone but the Cpt? Saw just before HT the ref was telling McCaw to 'have a word with No.4 to release and walk away' even tho Thorn was just standing right there?

No interchanges only substitutions. Temporary changes are allowed for injuries

Just etiquette with the ref and capt to keep everyone in line. You get penalised for back-chatting and questioning calls - refs have no qualms about enforcing it.

Ah cheers mate, just got confused when the French lost their No10 but then he's back out there a bit later..

Lastly, is playing music during breaks in play common during other RU games or Super15 games? So annoying, and definitely inappropriate I think when some poor bloke is on the ground in pain/injured and having to listen to Katy Perry or whatever crap they play..
I know League always does it, swear every time I watch it I hear bloody "Tonight's gonna be a good night.."

Cheers again

Gareth Thomas has been injured most of the time (not surprising at his age) and when he played, he's been only OK that I've seen.

I didn't know Brad Thorn had played league.

Music whilst a game is in progress is an abomination at any sport, of course.

The one thing I dont like is how they have scrum feeds at defensive ends (ala the game between NZ and France last night)

France's front row deliberately collapsed when NZ had the scrum feed (being in their forward half, so NZ couldnt score 3 points even if it were a penalty)

NZ kicked for territory, but France won the ensuing lineout

France's front row should have got a yellow card for an obvious tactic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back