• Yes - current players only please

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No - some historical data is a nice reference

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Who cares, I never read this thread anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am putting together a few physical testing results for current and ex- Crows players as a resource. Starting with 20m sprints, as I got interested in this when looking up Dean Gore's today.
Obviously you can make your own decisions on how testing translates to ball in hand, playing football - but the clubs seem to find it useful.
These are ones I have sources for, and will try to add more as I locate them. Apparently under 3 seconds is considered elite speed, but I don't know whether that is in respect to AFL footballers, or the whole population.

20 metre sprint times (<3 secs. is elite)

Richard Tambling 2.87s

Rory Laird 2.91 s

Josh Jenkins 2.91 s

Patrick Dangerfield 2.92 s

Brad Crouch 2.92 s

Jarrhan Jacky 2.93 s

Sam Shaw 2.93 s

Dean Gore 2.94 s

Kyle Hartigan 2.95 s

Jordan Gallucci 2.96 s

Luke Brown 2.97 s

Hugh Greenwood 2.97 s

Myles Poholke 2.98 s

Keenan Ramsey 3.02 s

Phil Davis 3.02 s

Paul Hunter 3.04 s

Harrison Wigg 3.06 s

Rory Atkins 3.06 s

Andy Otten 3.06 s

Troy Menzel 3.07 s

Mitch Grigg 3.19 s

Jake Lever 3.2 s

Matt Crouch 3.25 s

Adding in:

Ben Jarman 3+ (6 seconds according to FR0GGY)

Repeat Sprints (6 * 30m):

Patrick Dangerfield 23.96s (2nd in class)

Jordan Gallucci 24.26s (best in class)

Luke Brown 24.38s (9th in class)

Wayne Milera 24.61s (7th in class)

Myles Poholke 25.20 s (9th in class)

Paul Hunter 26.31s

Beep Test

Nathan van Berlo 15.2 (1 in class)

Sam Kerridge 15.05 (4th in class)

Paul Hunter 14.9s

Rory Sloane 14.5 (=2 in class)

Sam Siggins 14.4

Andy Otten 14.2 (=10 in class)

Tom Lynch 14.1 (=9 in class)

Myles Poholke 14.1

Jordan Gallucci 14.05 (=7 in class)

Standing Vertical Jump

Jordan Galluci 89cm (best all time)

Sam Shaw 75cm (2nd in class)

Patrick Dangerfield 73cm (3rd in class)

Dean Gore 72 cm (=7 in class)

Tom Doedee 68cm (=9 in class)

Kicking Efficiency (/30)

Rory Atkins 29 (=1 in class)

Dean Gore 27 (=4 in class)

Mitch McGovern 26 (=9 in class)

Ben Jarman 24 (=10 in class)

Handball Test (/30)

Ben Jarman 28 (=1 in class)

Agility Test

Nathan van Berlo 7.80s (2nd in class)

Sam Shaw 8.08s (2nd in class)

Richard Douglas 8.17s (6th in class)

Richard Tambling 8.20s (7th in class)

Andy Otten 8.29s (6th in class)

Paul Hunter 8.50s

If anyone has/finds any more please post a link. Thanks!

What the hell is up with Dean Gore he actually stacks up as quite the athlete but doesn't seem to Translate to a footy field.

What the hell is up with Dean Gore he actually stacks up as quite the athlete but doesn't seem to Translate to a footy field.
doesn't seem to have the nous for footy, if you're too busy concentrating on that its impossible for any athletic traits to shine through.

you need to be able to play on instinct, at least IMO. Last time I was playing footy I could easily do my whole side by 10m in sprints across the centre square, but I got done holding the ball on Saturdays more than anyone :oops:

the difference between someone like Judd and the dozens of players who can run the same times but are half as good as him is that he can see more moves ahead on the footy field (plus he had great skills, but the burst through and away from packs was his standout trait). Its not like he could run a 2.6 to everyone else's 2.9, it was speed of mind that set him apart.

same reason Eddie turns every defender in the country inside out on such a regular basis, has complete control over the chess match before the ball is even in the hands of the guy who's about to kick it to him.

Here are some additions from the 2018 draft:

Chayce Jones: 2.97 (same as fellow Tassie speedster Hugh Greenwood)

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5686222/star-blue-jones-prepares-for-afl/

Will Hamill: 2.91 Elite!

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results-2018.htm

Adding Further:

Standing vertical:
Chayce Jones: 66 cm (=10)
Will Hamill: 66 cm (=10)

Running Vertical Jump
Chayce Jones: 91 cm (=2)
Will Hamill: 86 cm (=6)

Agility Run

Chayce Jones: 8.270 s (6)
Will Hamill: 8.222 s (4)

YoYo
Ned McHenry: 22.2 (1)
Will Hamill: 21.4 (=7)

2KM Time Trial
Chayce Jones: 6.05 min (2)
Ned McHenry: 6.11 min (6)

Kicking Efficiency
Chayce Jones: 22/30 (=7)

Jesus, didnt realise what an athletic freak Chayce Jones is. Will Hamil looks like he'll be running for days at speed. These youngsters are making me mightily excited!!

Also, that came out wrong...

Adding Further:

Standing vertical:

Running Vertical Jump

Agility Run

YoYo

2KM Time Trial

Kicking Efficiency

Jesus, didnt realise what an athletic freak Chayce Jones is. Will Hamil looks like he'll be running for days at speed. These youngsters are making me mightily excited!!

Good results, now just need the football side of things to come together.

I like results for giving an idea of the type of player they may be, but it has little to no baring on quality.

Adding Further:

Standing vertical:

Running Vertical Jump

Agility Run

YoYo

2KM Time Trial

Kicking Efficiency

Lachlan Sholl also came equal 7th in the YoYo test with 21.4

Shane McAdam
Equaled West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui’s running vertical jump record (102cm),
finished first in the 20m sprint (2.89 seconds)
second in the agility test (8.04 seconds).
I'm actually really excited to see this kid play. No doubt consistentcy will be the issue but I'm sure he will rip a game apart at some point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adding Further:

Standing vertical:

Running Vertical Jump

Agility Run

YoYo

2KM Time Trial

Kicking Efficiency

Not just an athlete, 7th in kicking efficiency is impressive. Can football as well.

I'm actually really excited to see this kid play. No doubt consistentcy will be the issue but I'm sure he will rip a game apart at some point
For some perspective after his test results he was undrafted.

Then a couple of years in the WAFL, a couple in the football wilderness, and then a year in the SANFL. There's a reason he was undrafted despite his test results.

He has the ability and talent, and the testing shows he has athleticism he would have been unlikely to lose.

It's a big step up for him and as long as he puts in the work he'll be a player for us. He's 23 so it really is last roll of the dice for him, I hope he realises that.

If he fulfils his potential he'll be a beauty. He's the type that could have an immediate impact at AFL level.

I think it helps enormously we have Marty Mattner in as a coach.

I'm excited by his potential.

Interesting isn’t it?

Makes you wonder why he got overlooked, because with those test results he can’t have been in that bad a shape or lacking that much commitment to training

Thinking his problem back then was between the ears, and it took the rejection and some hard truths to get him in the right frame of mind.

Thinking his problem back then was between the ears, and it took the rejection and some hard truths to get him in the right frame of mind.

That’s what I mean, how can he be in that physical shape and be lacking commitment and right frame of mind

Now we now he was overlooked, seemingly not for talent or conditioning, interesting to see what has changed

Dayle Garlett for all his problems still got picked up. I’m assuming McAdam is nothing like that, but I wonder if there is a bit of Rendell like prophecy coming true here?

And not in a good way.

That’s what I mean, how can he be in that physical shape and be lacking commitment and right frame of mind

Now we now he was overlooked, seemingly not for talent or conditioning, interesting to see what has changed

Dayle Garlett for all his problems still got picked up. I’m assuming McAdam is nothing like that, but I wonder if there is a bit of Rendell like prophecy coming true here?

And not in a good way.
When he gave up on afl he used to eat 10-12 pies a week, sometimes for breakfast. Maybe he had too many party pies at the interviews

Rejection was part of it. After not being drafted he went back to Halls Creek and was working as a refrigerator mechanic and played footy part time, but not seriously. He signed a deal to play country football in Melbourne for 2017 thinking he might use that as a pathway to the VFL and then AFL (and to get out of a Halls Creek bubble that was perhaps a bad influence for him), but Shane Radbone (played football for Sturt and Essendon, big businessman now) convinced him to come to Adelaide and live with him to play for Scotch Old Collegians in the Div2 amateurs and work at Cheap as Chips (Radbone is a bigwig with them).

Basically because he'd been out of any real organised football for 18 months they expected it take 18-24 months before he'd get enough attention to be AFL drafted. He was 8-10kgs overweight to start with, a bit like Willie Rioli in that regard who spent a couple of years at Glenelg and pretty much spent all of the first year just losing weight. So he spent the first year in the amateurs to get SANFL attention (he actually got offered a gig with South's halfway through 2017, but Radbone told him to stick it out in the amateurs for the full year), Radbone got him a tryout at Sturts with 59 other blokes, he won a spot and then played his year at Sturt which got him drafted.

Basically the initial support of Radbone and then having Mattner as a mentor for Sturt helped get him to where he is now. We've got Mattner at the club now and Radbone is Adelaide based. Part of why Radbone helped him was because he said his goal in all this was to be drafted, so after that initial rejection he's put his bum down and worked hard to get where he is.

Also, apparently we've signed McAdams brother Ash Johnson to our SANFL side next year. He was playing for Scotch Old Collegians Div3 side last year.

Also grabbed Jy Farrer, who is also from Halls Creek and was playing with Scotch Old Collegians. He seems to have a bit more hype about him.

Marcus Hamilton, who surprise surprise, is from Halls Creek, and is the brother of Sam Petrevski-Seton, is also playing in the SANFL next year, though not sure if that's with the Crows or not.

Last edited:
Rejection was part of it. After not being drafted he went back to Halls Creek and was working as a refrigerator mechanic and played footy part time, but not seriously. He signed a deal to play country football in Melbourne for 2017 thinking he might use that as a pathway to the VFL and then AFL (and to get out of a Halls Creek bubble that was perhaps a bad influence for him), but Shane Radbone (played football for Sturt and Essendon, big businessman now) convinced him to come to Adelaide and live with him to play for Scotch Old Collegians in the Div2 amateurs and work at Cheap as Chips (Radbone is a bigwig with them).

Basically because he'd been out of any real organised football for 18 months they expected it take 18-24 months before he'd get enough attention to be AFL drafted. He was 8-10kgs overweight to start with, a bit like Willie Rioli in that regard who spent a couple of years at Glenelg and pretty much spent all of the first year just losing weight. So he spent the first year in the amateurs to get SANFL attention (he actually got offered a gig with South's halfway through 2017, but Radbone told him to stick it out in the amateurs for the full year), Radbone got him a tryout at Sturts with 59 other blokes, he won a spot and then played his year at Sturt which got him drafted.

Basically the initial support of Radbone and then having Mattner as a mentor for Sturt helped get him to where he is now. We've got Mattner at the club now and Radbone is Adelaide based. Part of why Radbone helped him was because he said his goal in all this was to be drafted, so after that initial rejection he's put his bum down and worked hard to get where he is.
What was the knock on him why he was originally overlooked

What was the knock on him why he was originally overlooked
Not sure. I don't think he was ever considered a lock to be drafted, despite the quality athletic traits he showed. Plenty of guys who have had questions about their commitment and those sort of things added in there too. I think the fact he only went to the state combine instead of the national would be a sign he wasn't rated super highly as an 18 year old.

McGovern was the same. He wasn't drafted for 2-3 years after he first entered the draft as an 18 year old.

Back