• Yes - current players only please

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No - some historical data is a nice reference

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Who cares, I never read this thread anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps we will call him Slowenberg? Having said that, I think once they get him training and eating properly his speed and endurance may rise, which should give him further upside.

Harry Schoenberg: '3.13-second 20m sprint and 20.3 yo-yo test at the National Draft Combine' (See write up below)

From AFL Draft Central Power rankings:

#36 Harry Schoenberg
WWT Eagles/South Australia | Inside Midfielder
21/02/2001 | 182cm | 83kg

A real surprise packet this year, Schoenberg produced a consistent season, leading to his Most Valuable Player (MVP) award for South Australia at the Under-18 Championships. Playing in a midfield alongside highly touted prospects Dylan Stephens and Jackson Mead, Schoenberg was the most consistent of the lot, earning All-Australian honours and winning the ball more than everyone bar Larke Medallist, Deven Robertson. He can play inside or out, but is more prominent on the inside due to a lower athletic base, which includes a 3.13-second 20m sprint and 20.3 yo-yo test at the National Draft Combine. He does not need the athletic traits for the role he plays, which is often winning the ball in close and getting it out to runners on the outside. In seven games for the Eagles’ Under 18s side, Schoenberg averaged 24.4 disposals, 5.3 marks, 4.7 tackles, 5.9 clearances and 4.1 inside 50s, with a contested possession rate of 49.4 per cent. He is a natural ball winner who plays a simple game to best advantage his team.

I think sometimes players players simply have a bad test (although I’m pretty sure they get more than 1 try), because there are some odd results in this thread.

They used to get up to 3 attempts if they needed them.

20-metre sprint

This one's all about speed. The player starts in the 'crouch' or ready position and sprints as fast as possible, making sure he doesn't decelerate before reaching the final gate. Each player is allowed three attempts (with at least two minutes' break between each) and his best times for the 5-, 10- and 20-metre sectors are recorded, regardless of which attempt they were from.

But it isn't necessarily a true indication of in game speed, on a 10 degree day, in winter, on wet grass, in the rain, in the 4th quarter, having to bounce the ball every 15m after running 12kms for the day so far. Some players have that quick 5 step burst acceleration, some players are able to wind up to full speed over 30 metres and in that 30-50m mark are uncatchable. Usually the taller players take a bit longer to reach peak speed, I'd argue that players don't reach their maximum speed in a sprint till about the 25m mark in a straight line.

You can see in the AFL Grand Final sprint that the players really only got into full stride AFTER the 3 second mark on the clock, which is around the endpoint of sprint testing in the combine.

1575351229096.png

In the combine, after a big season trying to impress recruiters with school and rep footy and while studying, some players may not be 100%, some of the kids may still be growing into their bodies as well and will build their strengths up during the 19-22 age range. Someone like Patrick Cripps only did a 13.2 in the beep test in the combine (compared to top guys doing 15 to 16.06) that doesn't seem to hold him back now.

Ben Keays – 3.18 (20M sprint) His other testing results also available through link below

rito draft heads, time for yous to update this for us cheers :p:thumbsu:

EDIT: gut feel is we have really, really focussed on tank when recruiting across the last couple of years. Like we are anticipating further reductions in rotations or something. I'm interested to see updated results to see if my tank theory is confirmed.

Laclan Gollant must have something Hamish sees in him because speed doesn't seem to be one of them. His 3.15 20m sprint is reasonably pedestrian for a modern AFL payer unless they have other outstanding traits such as Fischer McAsey's contested marking.

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/lachlan-gollant/
Gollant's marking ability was one of the main reasons he was drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it isn't necessarily a true indication of in game speed
Well it sorta kinda is, as it's about burst speed away from packs.

Andrew Mcleod, Circa 2001, just unbelievable how he could scoop the ball and then be clear, noone could lay a hand on him. Never seen anything like it.

Interesting! According to this article https://www.afc.com.au/news/1028441/who-s-adelaide-s-fastest-player- which appeared on the AFC site yesterday the following were the fasted players at he Crows this past season:

Crows’ top five fastest players in 2021

Tom Doedee 34.31km/h

Lachlan Murphy 34.09

Will Hamill 33.70

Ben Davis 33.66

Chayce Jones 33.01

However, according to official testing of 20m sprints that we have collected and displayed on this thread, Shane McAdam and Will Hammill are way faster than Lachlan Murphy and Chayce Jones somewhat faster.

Now with the naked eye Lachie Murphy looks faster than the 3.03 seconds that he is recorded as doing over 20m. With the naked eye Doedee is quite quick, but quicker than McAdam, Hamill and Newchurch (2.96 over 20m)? I'm not totally sold.

Speed is a big (but far from only) component of today's game,and I am glad that the Crows have been addressing this aspect in rebuilding the list. It is also good to have some complementary data on speed through this article to what we have accumulated on this thread from tracking the 20m sprints. Would love to hear how the Telstra tracker works. Also while a Sam Berry has a quite respectable 20m sprint speed of 3.02 seconds, his yo yo numbers reveals he has excellent endurance. When both figures are placed together he has very useful athletic traits to go with his tackling and other qualities that should should make him a very useful long term prospect. Various aspects to weigh up and consider when evaluating someones athletic traits.

The athletic testing results are only burst speed while the tracker results are clearly peak speed.

2.5s over 20m is only 28.8 km/h and I'm not sure any player has hit that at a Combine

It wouldn't surprise me if some powerful burst players don't have an insane top speed

The athletic testing results are only burst speed while the tracker results are clearly peak speed.

2.5s over 20m is only 28.8 km/h and I'm not sure any player has hit that at a Combine

It wouldn't surprise me if some powerful burst players don't have an insane top speed
I don't think any human being would ever have run 2.5s from a standing start. Usain Bolt did 2.87 for the first 20m when he set his 100m World record. His top speed though was 44 km/hr during the 100!!!!

This needs updating to include our latest recruits. I will start with new recruit IZAK RANKINE.

At the 2018 AFL Draft Combine Rankine won the agility test, came 4th in the standing vertical jump with 70cm and was blistering in the 20m sprint coming third with a time of 2.93 seconds.

Last edited:
Back