Someone to follow in the finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back in the dark days, after Edelsten, we lost a thousand games in a row, or at least it felt like it. Mike Willesee and Basil Sellers then bailed us out, turned us around, and then sold the licence back to the AFL for a dollar.
Their great move was to get Ron Barassi to coach. At the time he had not coached for years, and was way past it tactically.
But Ron was the best salesman I've ever seen. He has massive charisma and enthusiasm. In those days he was at every sports lunch and dinner in Sydney. He was everywhere, selling the Swans.
Ron's main focus was not the footy, but the creation of a footy Club. He emphasised the players having a drink after the game with members, getting the players out to training at local footy clubs, talking about a Club of members, not a franchise.
South Melbourne was no longer a Club, but the plaything of a rich doctor. Ron turned us into a club, a community.
Without Ron, Wilessee and Sellers we would not have the Club we have now.
That's why I want the Demons to win.
For Ron.

Back in the dark days, after Edelsten, we lost a thousand games in a row, or at least it felt like it. Mike Willesee and Basil Sellers then bailed us out, turned us around, and then sold the licence back to the AFL for a dollar.
Their great move was to get Ron Barassi to coach. At the time he had not coached for years, and was way past it tactically.
But Ron was the best salesman I've ever seen. He has massive charisma and enthusiasm. In those days he was at every sports lunch and dinner in Sydney. He was everywhere, selling the Swans.
Ron's main focus was not the footy, but the creation of a footy Club. He emphasised the players having a drink after the game with members, getting the players out to training at local footy clubs, talking about a Club of members, not a franchise.
South Melbourne was no longer a Club, but the plaything of a rich doctor. Ron turned us into a club, a community.
Without Ron, Wilessee and Sellers we would not have the Club we have now.
That's why I want the Demons to win.
For Ron.
Damn it.

Talking great salesmen...

It wasn't that long ago we were a basket case still searching for our first premiership in more than half a century, so easy choice.

Plus a bit of reflected glory on us for the role Roos played in turning the Dees around.

Would be lying if I said didn't enjoy seeing Geelong and Bulldogs lose. And Port too now I think of it. SO, very easy choice.

I'd honestly be pretty happy with either Port or Melboure, now that the Lions are out.

Melbourne to break their drought, and Port simply because I've enjoyed watching them play for the better part of the last decade.

I'd honestly be pretty happy with either Port or Melboure, now that the Lions are out.

Melbourne to break their drought, and Port simply because I've enjoyed watching them play for the better part of the last decade.
Yep, pretty much me. Would much prefer one of these two teams, if not, totally fine if Geelong gets it, shattered if the Dogs win.

Every Premiership has had one of our former players represented since the 2016* travesty.

1. On that basis I think Port (with 4 A) will win and I am barracking for them. Also enjoy the way they play.

2. Melbourne I suppose is second. The question is whether the 57 yo Norm Smith curse has run its course.

3. The idea of choker Grohan getting a medal on the basis of a handful of possessions is unthinkable.

4 A Freescray 25 win would be appalling.

I'd be pretty fine with Melbourne or Port winning. Wouldn't want Geelong or the Dogs to win. God forbid that be the final!

I guess I'd probably root for Melbourne in a Melbourne/Port GF as their fans are that starved, but I think I like more Port players so IDK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back