Something else to ward off the boredom - best Port high marks

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol me to😃

Me 3 😎
For some reason, I had thought that mark was at Prospect but bow to the knowledge/memory of 1954
Maybe Prospect is memorable for us kicking a bag of goals (somewhere in the mid teens) in a row and it could’ve been Max who kicked a point.
Could be wrong on all counts as well 🙁

Me 3 😎
For some reason, I had thought that mark was at Prospect but bow to the knowledge/memory of 1954
Maybe Prospect is memorable for us kicking a bag of goals (somewhere in the mid teens) in a row and it could’ve been Max who kicked a point.
I think the Prospect Oval game you're thinking of was in late 1972 when we thrashed North by 80+ points and kicked the first 13 or 14 goals without a behind.

It's a pity we couldn't replicate that against North a few weeks later in the finals.

I think the Prospect Oval game you're thinking of was in late 1972 when we thrashed North by 80+ points and kicked the first 13 or 14 goals without a behind.

It's a pity we couldn't replicate that against North a few weeks later in the finals.

I was at that game at Prospect. I recall it being 11 straight goals and Bucky Cunningham of all people kicked the first point from a set shot.

Randall Gerlach, who was one of the most powerful marks I've ever seen, kicked them from everywhere and finished with 11 goals. The big bear's radar could be way off though ;)

We had 15.4 at half time and finished with 25.10. The next week against Centrals we had 1.9 at quarter time and finished with 12.23.

Max James was the most consistent high mark I've seen play. Wish I had seen the mark being talked about but I could imagine it, having seen him haul down huge grabs as a full forward, full back and on baller. They called him spring heeled back in the day. Or as Ian Aitken would say, he had a leap like a startled gazelle.

Another player who hasn't been mentioned here but had a huge jump was Ben Harris.

Dave Granger was another super athlete who could drag down a massive hanger. Saw Wayne Phillis take a hanger on Dave once and Dave calmly grabbed his ankle at shoulder height and Phillis broke his collarbone when he hit the ground. ;)

Brian Luke's mark is insane.

Favourite mark. Probably David Hynes against Glenelg in I think the 89 Foundation Cup Final. Towering mark on the members wing at Footy Park. Was then front page of the Advertiser the next day.

This one? Five minutes into the '89 Foundation Cup granny...

[video-to-gif output image]

View attachment Hynes Mark.mp4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me 3 😎

I reckon that Prospect game was in the same season as the Jame's mark at Glenelg oval, ie 1972.

Randall Gerlach was unstoppable that day and marked everything that came his way, scoring 11 g and only a couple of points.
As alluded to by Ford, in the gf which was only about 5 weeks later he again dominated in the air but finished the day with something like 1 goal, 3 or 4 points, and also a number of o.o.f's. :'(

Dwayne took some speckies for us back in the day. Before he turned to the dark side. He was one of my faves...

5h84oa.gif

This isn't a mark, it's just funny af, Bomber v the whole Centrals team, lmao...

That day at Unley where Dwayne and Peter Motley went nuts with their aerial prowess, whilst Jumbo stood at FF with his guts seeping out of his lace up.

Some guy on youtube made a video of great Port marks in the AFL.

Memories.
Robbie's one hander - outrageous!
Jay's goal line hanger versus the Dees while walking across the top of 4 players - a thing of beauty!
Wingard v the Saints - spine tingling!

Gees. Mots and Jay took a fair few between the two of them.

Dwayne took some speckies for us back in the day. Before he turned to the dark side. He was one of my faves...

5h84oa.gif

This isn't a mark, it's just funny af, Bomber v the whole Centrals team, lmao...

Yes, Dwayne could take a super grab.

Lol so unlike Bomber.

One game at Elizabeth he whacked Johnny Platten with an elbow, knocking him senseless.

The Elizabeth faithful booed him all day. Platten came back on late and lifted the Dogs but Port won.

As Bomber walked off he pointed at the scoreboard and gave the grandstand the double V for victory sign. :D

Yes, Dwayne could take a super grab.

Lol so unlike Bomber.

One game at Elizabeth he whacked Johnny Platten with an elbow, knocking him senseless.

The Elizabeth faithful booed him all day. Platten came back on late and lifted the Dogs but Port won.

As Bomber walked off he pointed at the scoreboard and gave the grandstand the double V for victory sign. :D

My brother was really good mates with The Rat growing up, haha. Everyone in the fam was stoked when he won the Magarey... except me. Wanted Braddles to win so bad. Sooked big time when he didn't.

Did Bomber belt him in that the epic top-of-the table clash late in '84? Such a big game for the Dogs, as close to a Grand Final you can get in the minor round. My primary school was super atomic pumped all week, lol.

Dad was working so I went with my bro-in-law & his old man, both Centrals mad. And they regretted every minute of it. Stood in front of the grandstand and even tho my 9yo short ass didn't see s**t all day, I didn't stfu for four quarters.

My lil' big mouth almost got em into a few blues with fellow Centrals supporters, they never took me to the footy again, lmao...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back