Roast Something is about to drop...

Remove this Banner Ad

That would have been basing Daics ability upon his old mans ability. Which I don’t think I would do.
But you are right about the no name Stephenson. If you had of spiced it up with the said player also having a heart issue then I would have been aghast.
But....now we aren’t dealing in fantasy but facts, I’ll repeat that Stephenson is a bigger loss than we think. And Daics still isn’t anywhere near Stephensons ability to turn a game.

If history is anything to go by ‘Facts’ aren’t going to be of much help predicting what will happen over the rest of the season.

Maybe Crocker does a Mayne?
Maybe JT regains his 2018 form?
Maybe DeGoey goes beast mode?
Maybe Cox, Mihocek and Reid in the same forward line works?
Maybe Daicos flicks a switch?
Maybe back/mid becomes a gun forward? (reverse Leon Davis)

Maybe all this happens? Maybe none of this happens? Maybe it’s the best of times? Maybe it’s the worst of times? Maybe it’s the age of wisdom? Maybe it’s the age of foolishness?

Let’s live it to find out. Strap yourself in. And toss aside those dastard facts, they don’t tell you anything about the future ...

Last edited:

At least Sheed doesn’t just kick them against us.

At least Sheed doesn’t just kick them against us.
When did such a thing happen?

I don’t recall any such thing....

No Joke, AFL is littered with idiots that have thrown away their talent. I hope JS gets his act together. But seriously what he did is border line of bloke of a IQ of 50 similar to yourself.
Well we all just hope he can pull it together and have the career you've had, he might be a superstar on his way to being a millionaire but where are his 1000+ posts on BF? huh? huh?

Stephenson has potentially saved himself from a gambling addiction and 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars lost. Not a bad result from the self report for a cost of 10 games in a 15 year career.

+ $20,000 fine + forfeiting around $50,000 match payments ...

... but yeah, your point still stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who suspects that the guilt over his bets is what led Jaidyn to blurt out about his multi bet to Howe? He knew it was against the rules to bet on AFL yet still blurted this out. I reckon it was something of a cry for help or guidance (albeit likely subconsciously done).

Not sure it’s been a great look to start with the narrative “After three bets, 20 year old Jaidyn had the self awareness to sit down with our footy director and self-report, ‘cause his parents brought him up right with strong values. So proud of him” ...

... and ending up with the narrative “After three bets, 20 year old Jaidyn accidentally let it slip to Howe, who slept on it overnight, and the next day got Jaidyn to chat with the team leadership group about it, who then told him he should go to the footy director”

Buckley was flailing around in his interview with Whateley, it was excruciating to listen to. Suspect the club’s spin doctors weren’t all on the same page.

+ $20,000 fine + forfeiting around $50,000 match payments ...

... but yeah, your point still stands.

Add in sponsorship's and a likely decrease in potential future earnings... It's a lot of money down the drain.

I wonder what would of happened if he didn't accidentally let Howe know and he kept on betting the entire year? What if the AFL eventually found out?

Ridiculous. The AFL need to change their rules.

The integrity of the game is sacrosanct. Without it people don’t turn up to games, people don’t watch games, sponsors and advertisers don’t want to be associated with the competition, broadcasters can’t justify paying big dollars for the rights, the competition can’t attract revenue and pay players ...

So if that is the case, why didn't Essendon players get life bans?

It’s a fair point.

But IIRC the Essendon players got banned because of “something fishy went down, dunno what it was, can’t prove anything beyond reasonable doubt, but it doesn’t look good”. (Unlike JT and Keeffe who were proven to have PED in their system)

And the sanction imposed on the Essendon players was guided by a 3rd party (ASADA) who have wider scope and different considerations to the AFL.

Not sure it’s been a great look to start with the narrative “After three bets, 20 year old Jaidyn had the self awareness to sit down with our footy director and self-report, ‘cause his parents brought him up right with strong values. So proud of him” ...

... and ending up with the narrative “After three bets, 20 year old Jaidyn accidentally let it slip to Howe, who slept on it overnight, and the next day got Jaidyn to chat with the team leadership group about it, who then told him he should go to the footy director”

Buckley was flailing around in his interview with Whateley, it was excruciating to listen to. Suspect the club’s spin doctors weren’t all on the same page.
I thought Buckley sounded his usual honest self.

The integrity of the game is sacrosanct. Without it people don’t turn up to games, people don’t watch games, sponsors and advertisers don’t want to be associated with the competition, broadcasters can’t justify paying big dollars for the rights, the competition can’t attract revenue and pay players ...

It’s a fair point.

But IIRC the Essendon players got banned because of “something fishy went down, dunno what it was, can’t prove anything beyond reasonable doubt, but it doesn’t look good”. (Unlike JT and Keeffe who were proven to have PED in their system)

And the sanction imposed on the Essendon players was guided by a 3rd party (ASADA) who have wider scope and different considerations to the AFL.
If the integrity of the game is sacrosanct, why do the AFL keep changing the rules of the game on a week by week basis?

Just think about that for a second...
Morning Kap. I just got woken up by my bloody dog wanting a walk. Still trying to rub my dream of a Collingwood premiership out of my eyes.

You’re going to have to explain your post to me.

I thought Buckley sounded his usual honest self.

I agree.

He sounded like an honest senior coach trying to deal with a bad situation.

But he was struggling to keep up with the narrative.

He clearly hadn’t been properly briefed by club media liaison before the interview. The Sam McClure revelations threw him. He didn’t seem aware that CFC have divested itself of all gambling revenue including advertising (not just pokies revenue)

I agree.

He sounded like an honest senior coach trying to deal with a bad situation.

But he was struggling to keep up with the narrative.

He clearly hadn’t been properly briefed by club media liaison before the interview. The Sam McClure revelations threw him. He didn’t seem aware that CFC have divested itself of all gambling revenue including advertising (not just pokies revenue)
I think that’s because the narrative is being driven by media types who are keen to support the penalty imposed by the AFL. Wonder why...

As for Bucks, I doubt he received any coaching before the interview.

This has probably been posted earlier, but an interesting read if you haven’t seen it.

Add in sponsorship's and a likely decrease in potential future earnings...

I don’t think that’ll have any affect. Collingwood is the club of redemption.

IIRC the Wellingham DUI incident is the only time we’ve lost a sponsor for off field behaviour. What Stevo has done wouldn’t shock any prospective sponsors given the general goings on at Collingwood - the PR is not as bad as Ed’s Adam Goode’s gaffe, or JDG’s DUI, or Marley Williams’ assault.

It's a lot of money down the drain.

Indeed.

I wonder what would of happened if he didn't accidentally let Howe know and he kept on betting the entire year? What if the AFL eventually found out?

22 weeks+ (none suspended) I’d imagine.

I think that’s because the narrative is being driven by media types who are keen to support the penalty imposed by the AFL. Wonder why...

The club has driven much of it.

I don’t think the media types are going unreasonably hard at Stevo. There’s a bit of sympathy because of his age, and maybe a bit of leeway is given because of his talent. Those who are going hard aren’t mentioning Stevo by name so much. And there are those going hard at the AFL’s relationship with the gambling industry.

Gambling is the new smoking.

As for Bucks, I doubt he received any coaching before the interview.

Agree. Maybe he’s losing his mercurial touch? IIRC I read somewhere years ago that CFC folks always get a media briefing before they go in front of the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back