Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

• is Will Powell coming back from his nasty 2022 injury?
  • who of Flanders, Lemmens and Davies is going to step up next year? I feel as though Lemmens is at or near his ceiling, the other two could go either way.
Powell back, was playing more wing until he got injured but with emergence of Elijah as an attacking winger can see him going back to half back (with Ellis a more defensive winger)

Flanders should have a good year. Fitter than ever apparently. Exploded in VFL finals as an on-baller, potentially ready to step in as part of regular miller-anderson-rowell-swallow rotation. Tried on the wing and as a pressure forward previously without particular success. Succeeding elsewhere probably more important as he’ll never be first choice mid.

Davies did have some success up forward. Can mark, tackle, even rucked in f50 on occasion, kicked a few goals but couldn’t accumulate possessions. Still 20 and starting his 3rd year so should improve.

Lemmens not getting any better at 27. Solid but tends to make a dumb mistake semi regularly. Better on a de goey type rather than Charlie cameron type. Felt weird including him on this list.

Improvements in lukosius, Caleb Graham important storylines.

Integration of Jeffrey and rosas up forward too.

Capacity in which King, Weller and Buderick return from ACLs.

Can Ben Long play consistently well half back (I think so)

Lots of early season watches that will shape our season.

1kevl91nht4a1.png
The man is just taking the piss at this point...

GMC7ZQ4.jpg

Davies could end up the best

Coaches spoke about need to improve his capacity to get involved and get the footy.

Did attend 15% of centre bounces last year (only behind miller, rowell, anderson, swallow) so they like him in the middle.

Whether it is stamina, work rate, reading the game, I think those things should continue to improve in his 3rd year. I suspect though he’s never going to be a reliable 25+ possession winner.

A more athletic Hugh Greenwood or Josh Dunkley lite is probably my projection. That’s still a valuable player for sure.

I think with Davies he just needs a real break out game which will give him the confidence to throw himself into each contest whether it's in the air or on the ground. The potential is definitely there just feel he stands back a little bit and waits for someone else to go first. He would want to start moving though because Humphrey is a player who won't take long to impose himself on a game and there's only limited spots available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their forward line: Lukosius, Jeffrey, Chol, Flanders, Holman, King and Casboult.

That would honestly get close to being one of the worst we have seen over the last 20 years.
There is a fair bit of talent there but last night they looked too far and totally disorganised, Jeffrey stopped at least two easy goals taking out his team mate going for the same mark.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks 2023 says hold my beer

Our forward line at full strength is not that bad…

Mitch Lewis- one of the best young key forwards in the comp

Dylan moore- one of the best high half forwards in the game

Luke Breust- one of the best small forwards in the game

Chad Wingard- a quality half forward/forward pocket

This issue is going to be getting them the ball with our current midfield.

Our forward line at full strength is not that bad…

Mitch Lewis- one of the best young key forwards in the comp

Dylan moore- one of the best high half forwards in the game

Luke Breust- one of the best small forwards in the game

Chad Wingard- a quality half forward/forward pocket

This issue is going to be getting them the ball with our current midfield.

Surely calling Dylan Moore one of the best high half forwards in the game is a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is a fair bit of talent there but last night they looked too far and totally disorganised, Jeffrey stopped at least two easy goals taking out his team mate going for the same mark.

Sent from my SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our forward line has never really looked methodical.

In saying that, 8th highest scoring team last year.

Most have hardly played together with king out last year, jeffrey inexperienced, lukosius playing defence much of his career, chol and casboult just coming to club last year, Flanders not played much as a half forward.

Holman and Ainsworth the only two consistently in the front half.

Think they will get more synergy with more time together.

Nothing like being written off after a round 1 loss to last year's grand finalists 🤣
They were absolutely rinsed. If they’d lost by 3 points with plenty of positives I doubt there’d be the same questions. Further, the Bulldogs and Lions lost by similar margins but at least there were times when they were actually in the game.

This thread is telling us that something special is brewing on the Gold Coast. Being smashed from go to woe on your own dung heap against a side you’ve had the wood on when they’re coming off a shorter preseason is always going to raise doubts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back