Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

DowJone23

Debutant
May 7, 2023
AFL Club
GWS
Lost some good players too. However I think they need 1-2 more seasons before their best young guys get to 24 and in their prime.

People are expecting WAY too much from them. Look at their core group of young guys. Give them a couple of seasons. They have been showing their first signs of improvement.

Rowell 22
Powell 23
Rosas 22
Lukosius 22
King 22
Humphrey 18
Flanders 21
Davies 21
Ballard 23
Noah Anderson 22
They've had like 4 rebuilds. How is it too much to ask to see some sort of progress? You could have pumped out a similar post with that kind of list any time over the last 15 years

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
They've had like 4 rebuilds. How is it too much to ask to see some sort of progress? You could have pumped out a similar post with that kind of list any time over the last 15 years
Yeah they hadnt made much progress up to 2017 or there abouts and should have been better but look at the most recent set of players I listed. If these lot fail by 2025, 26 then yeah its another fail

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It really depends on what you consider progress. This is our win-loss record after 15 games since Dew took over in 2018:

2018: 4-11 (Lynch and May departed at the end of this season; rebuild commences)
2019: 3-12
2020: 5.5-9.5 (COVID year aka home advantage most weeks)
2021: 5-10
2022: 7-8
2023: 7-8

Admittedly, the progress has been slower than some would have liked but there does seem to be an upward trajectory when you take the COVID disruption into consideration. Onlookers may say there has been some stagnation this year and the win-loss record would certainly suggest that but I would also add losing Touk Miller early in the season has probably cost us several wins. It's an injury that's probably cost us two wins (and a whole lot of percentage) so far and a two extra wins with a decent percentage would currently have us inside the top 6. I know every team has injuries but when you're a young mid-ladder team and you lose your captain that finished 3rd in the Brownlow the year before, it can be a devastating blow that can ruin a season.

Touk Miller is due to return this week so we should get an understanding of how much we've missed him on Saturday night. There's probably just enough time to still salvage something from this season considering we still have eight games to go but we're running out of time to make it happen. All you can do in this situation is put your head down and get to work. If we're good enough, we'll find a way.

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
Dew is also probably not up to it as senior coach and is going to be replaced by Dimma at the end of the season which should help The Suns considerably
After seeing the footage of Dew having a disagreement with Shaw I tend to agree. He seems to lack confidence and doesn't seem to have control in his coaching position. IF he was in control he would have nipped that s**t in the bud. I think there's a rift there in the coaching department. I think he's probably not the all round coach GC would have been expecting. From where they are RN, I would highly doubt they'd take another unproven coach. Dimma seems the obvious choice if he wants to coach, or even Adam Simpson. I think they need to get someone with serious experience to lead this talented young list.

Could also consider Chris Scott (Wild Card), Ken Hinkley (Unlikely)

theasian

Team Captain
May 19, 2012
Colombo
AFL Club
Sydney
Rosas and Humphrey not exciting enough for you?

Humphrey is going to be a star mid. he's not a small forward. Rosas more like a Wing /HFF type.

Holman probably the only the defensive presuure applying small forward who gets regular games for GC

Ask any reasonable GC supporter, they will identify small forward as a position they lack good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back