Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022...

Remove this Banner Ad

Righteo

Purple Campaigner
Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Can't wait to see what they can do with a fit Ben King. They're going to be a huge pain in the arse for the foreseeable future

The Kings Ransom

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really clean isn't he, great kick as you said but I like his hands in the F50 too.
Surprised Hawkins isn't among that lot, but then he's been a little quiet over the past month while Cameron has turned it on.

Another good return from Mabior Chol today too; perfect 2nd KF/back-up ruckman.
Hawkins 7th.
1.08 goal assists per game.

(rankine 1.36, Petracca 1.31)

GC2015

Premiership Player
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Today is probably the first time we've been in a genuine 50/50 away game while in the race for a top 8 spot. It's the type of game that answers a lot of questions about whether your players are up for the challenge of chasing a finals berth. Port Adelaide are in the same position in terms of the ladder so if either team can't get up for this game then that says a lot.

Theoretically, we can enter the top 8 with a big win today but I highly doubt we're going give Port a 10+ goal bath on their home deck. The prospect of a spot in the top 8 will have to wait until at least next week when we face the Pies at Metricon on Saturday night.

TheSunGod

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Today is probably the first time we've been in a genuine 50/50 away game while in the race for a top 8 spot. It's the type of game that answers a lot of questions about whether your players are up for the challenge of chasing a finals berth. Port Adelaide are in the same position in terms of the ladder so if either team can't get up for this game then that says a lot.

Theoretically, we can enter the top 8 with a big win today but I highly doubt we're going give Port a 10+ goal bath on their home deck. The prospect of a spot in the top 8 will have to wait until at least next week when we face the Pies at Metricon on Saturday night.
So have these questions been answered? Not a bad effort considering the players we had out.

GC2015

Premiership Player
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So have these questions been answered? Not a bad effort considering the players we had out.
I think we answered a lot of questions yesterday about our finals prospects. We did everything you'd like to see a team do other than secure the four points but we're clearly able to perform in the hostile away environments while our season is on the line.

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hand up. I didn't think they could perform at the level they are with Chol and Casboult, they've been 1st class. Really excited for the rest of the season and onto 2023 for them.

Also I think they'll be able to attract an elite talent now, players will want to get in on what's building.

Progressive Aggresion

Senior List
Jan 30, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't personally believe in such thing as an 'Admirable loss' in sport, but last night's game was a true quality matchup and I'd hate to see the Suns losing any supporters after how far they pushed us at a venue they've had a nightmare record at. The ambition to take the game on though quick passages of play & ability to brake opposition tackles is at least finals worthy on paper.

With that said, history tells us that the Suns tend to run out of steam in the July / August period, so the next 2 games against Collingwood & Richmond will tell us a lot.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don't personally believe in such thing as an 'Admirable loss' in sport, but last night's game was a true quality matchup and I'd hate to see the Suns losing any supporters after how far they pushed us at a venue they've had a nightmare record at. The ambition to take the game on though quick passages of play & ability to brake opposition tackles is at least finals worthy on paper.

With that said, history tells us that the Suns tend to run out of steam in the July / August period, so the next 2 games against Collingwood & Richmond will tell us a lot.
Credit to Port. They brought top pressure for the whole game and had DE efficiency 10% higher.

Again, Suns had a slow start and did not convert opportunities similar to a lot of games this year. Ainsworth and Rankine are approaching AA quality. Ben still has to improve his set shots.

Team is maturing and looks hungry for success. I don't expect fade out as physically they look in good shape although injuries keep happening. It was the oldest line-up of the season, 25 years and 2 months but still inexperienced (79 games per player).

So far this season, I would say Suns were off only in one game (against GWS). Enjoyable to watch, finally.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
They’d be gutted losing yesterday and rightly so.

Golden opportunity blown.

However they are still a chance at the 8 this year and next year primed to make a big jump up the ladder to at least top 6 and possibly top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Premiership Player
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No team has been playing for their coach more than the Suns have been this year under Dew. You can tell they are united, their body language is good and they are all collectively on the same page. Hope they can make it.
Definitely proved that tonight. Dewy wrote 'We're not trying' on the whiteboard at halftime and got an unbelievable response to come back from a 40 point deficit and snatch it to keep the season alive. Unreal!

Cursed Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely proved that tonight. Dewy wrote 'We're not trying' on the whiteboard at halftime and got an unbelievable response to come back from a 40 point deficit and snatch it to keep the season alive. Unreal!

Stoked to see the club back Dew in for another 2 years.

Great win tonight, made Richmond look like pretenders. Massive fan of Noah Anderson's and tonight only made me appreciate him more.

La Dispute

La Dispute
Suspended
Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
May or may not scrape into the 8 this year, but can see them have a Dockers type surge up the ladder next season.

Finally have the combination of elite talent, enough games into young players and a sustainable gameplan that’s going to allow them to put some decent sides to the sword.

They were also missing Rankine who has been one of their prime movers over the past month. Incredible talent.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
For the first time ever, they seem like a legitimate club and not just some basket case franchise with no soul. Hopefully with some success, they can get a full house to games. They have more chance than GWS does in this regard due to Victorian expats, the holiday factor and the Queensland bandwagon tendency.

gianytee

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2010
camberwell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I feel that the 2019 draft where they got Rowell and Anderson is what will propel them to greater heights. Both are clutch and great leaders and that’s rare to find in a young team that don’t have the foundation of other clubs.

Also credit to Miller & Witts who are both a graders but stepped up and commuted to the team in the wake of losing Lynch & May. While it’s widely known I feel it doesn’t get the attention it deserves but those 2 have just been amazing their commitment to the club and that’s been reflected in the young players to commit.

Can’t wait to see what Rowell, King, Anderson, Rankine, Luko, Ballard, Bowes, Powell, Chol will do when they string 50 games together as the a grade young talent.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast officially have the mathematical opportunity to enter the top 8 tomorrow if they win by enough against Essendon.

Port Adelaide is in the same boat but face the Demons so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Remove this Banner Ad