Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

They've got a good side. Just need to do it more consistently.
I was trying to temper expectations on our board last week.
Witts in the ruck, with a midfield of Rowell, Miller, Swallow, Anderson, Fiorini and guys like Ellis, Weller who can rack up touches.
Collins is always solid down back and despite missing King, Levi and Chol have been making scoreboard impact.

Listening to Dew at quarter time, I'm just not sure about him as a coach. His comments were very basic. Almost local footy level.
What do you mean listening to Dew at quarter time?
Could you over hear the team huddle and his comments to the players?

I'm no Dew apologist - he clearly has major issues with flexibility, adaptiveness and taking on feedback from others - but I'm pretty sure whatever 20 second interview he gives to the TV isn't really a good reflection of his capacity to coach.

What do you mean listening to Dew at quarter time?
Could you over hear the team huddle and his comments to the players?

I'm no Dew apologist - he clearly has major issues with flexibility, adaptiveness and taking on feedback from others - but I'm pretty sure whatever 20 second interview he gives to the TV isn't really a good reflection of his capacity to coach.
Don't read too much into it mate, it's just one person's opinion.
Some coaches you listen to and just get the feeling that they have a really good grasp on the game. I don't get that from Dew.

Don't read too much into it mate, it's just one person's opinion.
Some coaches you listen to and just get the feeling that they have a really good grasp on the game. I don't get that from Dew.

The only confidence i get from Dew is he knows where the feed bin is.

People act like the gold coast list is a basketcase. They have a good list, its full of first round picks who have done a couple of years in the system - even with all the guys they have lost.

The only confidence i get from Dew is he knows where the feed bin is.

People act like the gold coast list is a basketcase. They have a good list, its full of first round picks who have done a couple of years in the system - even with all the guys they have lost.
Don't think the first part was necessary, but agree with the 2nd part. They've got good players across the ground, despite losing quite a few along the way.

Playing 196cm Caleb Graham or 191cm Chris burgess in the ruck was obviously a real killer last year.

Witts obviously makes a huge difference, with elite stoppage ratings after a first month against Nic Nat / Gawn and Jackson / Preuss / de koning.
View attachment 1368889

Improving our midfield depth has allowed rosas to play his natural position as a small / linking forward in the 2s this year. Last year he was playing up in the stoppages a fair bit and just wasn’t effective. Then found it hard to have any continuity when he came into the 1s for a handful of games. Really happy that he played well. He was probably a bit of an afterthought amongst most suns fans when considering our team make up this year, so if he can continue along the same vein, kicking regular goals and stick in the team for most of the year it will be a big bonus.

Also, Powell may be unheralded by the wider community, but he did finish 2nd in our B+F last year. Obviously recognised inside the club.

I'm a huge fan of The Most Serious Man in Football Jarrod Witts; the perfect leader for the Suns and plays a real old school ruckman's game.

I'm a huge fan of The Most Serious Man in Football Jarrod Witts; the perfect leader for the Suns and plays a real old school ruckman's game.
Suns fans have always felt Witts was underrated externally but we know he's really appreciated inside the four walls. Hence the reason we handed him the club captaincy after just two years with us. Not having him last year was a huge blow and it exposed a massive hole in our list which was zero ruck depth beyond Witts. Zac Smith was barely a VFL standard ruckman in 2021 so we opted to go with a 191cm medium forward instead. It was a tough year but we've addressed that list deficiency now and will be much better off if anything were to occur again.

Suns fans have always felt Witts was underrated externally but we know he's really appreciated inside the four walls. Hence the reason we handed him the club captaincy after just two years with us. Not having him last year was a huge blow and it exposed a massive hole in our list which was zero ruck depth beyond Witts. Zac Smith was barely a VFL standard ruckman in 2021 so we opted to go with a 191cm medium forward instead. It was a tough year but we've addressed that list deficiency now and will be much better off if anything were to occur again.
Zach smith got injured shortly after.
We didn’t choose to play burgess in the ruck over smith.

Granted they’ve beaten two s**t sides but I’m very excited about what is happening. As always the challenge is to sustain it at least for most if not all of the season. Should be aiming to win head into the bye with 7-8 wins and really set themselves up for the second half of the year.

Granted they’ve beaten two s**t sides but I’m very excited about what is happening. As always the challenge is to sustain it at least for most if not all of the season. Should be aiming to win head into the bye with 7-8 wins and really set themselves up for the second half of the year.
With the draw we've got I'd think winning 5-6 of the remaining 8 games pre bye is pretty generous.

Hawthorn and NM in Darwin in consecutive weeks SHOULD be wins.

Collingwood at the MCG + Freo at Metricon should win at least 1 of these.

Sydney @ SCG, St Kilda @ Marvel - would love to win 1 but probably outsiders.

Bulldogs @ Ballarat, Brisbane @ Metricon - probably 2 losses.

I think minimum of 5 wins should be expected, 6 wins would be reasonable, anything more and we've exceeded my expectations at least.

With the draw we've got I'd think winning 5-6 of the remaining 8 games pre bye is pretty generous.

Hawthorn and NM in Darwin in consecutive weeks SHOULD be wins.

Collingwood at the MCG + Freo at Metricon should win at least 1 of these.

Sydney @ SCG, St Kilda @ Marvel - would love to win 1 but probably outsiders.

Bulldogs @ Ballarat, Brisbane @ Metricon - probably 2 losses.

I think minimum of 5 wins should be expected, 6 wins would be reasonable, anything more and we've exceeded my expectations at least.
The talent is there to win at least five of the remaining games. Execution is the challenge - I’m not expecting it, but that would surely be the aim.

Another wasted season of completely unwatchable football from the Suns.

If the AFL want to have brand presence on the GC then this mob are doing more harm than good .

Better off having the Lions as the headline brand for all of SEQ.
Probably went too early on that one. Only one win behind 8th now after pulling off a massive upset against your Swans at the SCG yesterday. You should probably just focus on your own team who are on a two game losing streak instead of death riding another club.

A solid performance against the 2nd placed Dockers next week would be good for the Suns but if they really want to make a statement then a win over Fremantle would be the way to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably went too early on that one. Only one win behind 8th now after pulling off a massive upset against your Swans at the SCG yesterday. You should probably just focus on your own team who are on a two game losing streak instead of death riding another club.

A solid performance against the 2nd placed Dockers next week would be good for the Suns but if they really want to make a statement then a win over Fremantle would be the way to do it.
They always beat us at the SCG
Wasn't a massive upset at all if you know their record there .

We aren't that good. We have been awful for the last month . Lucky to make the 8 although last year we surged home later in the season

Watch the Suns with their usual fade out after the bye

Rabble.

They always beat us at the SCG
Wasn't a massive upset at all if you know their record there .

We aren't that good. We have been awful for the last month . Lucky to make the 8 although last year we surged home later in the season

Watch the Suns with their usual fade out after the bye

Rabble.
I'm not sure if you've looked into our fixture comparing this year with the previous years.

In the past we've been given an easy draw in the first couple of months - hence tend to win a few early games. The late year fade outs have probably mostly been down to injury, the immaturity within the squad and a relatively harder draw compared with early season.

This year, the complete opposite with quite a difficult opening 9 rounds.
I think we've got a bit more physical maturity in the squad. And have a pretty healthy list at the moment (pending news on Lukosius)

Based on our draw I'd hope we win 4-5 games / 10 games post bye.

Edit:
Just looked at the respective draws.
Wow, you guys been kissed on the proverbial compared with us to start the year.

After 9 games suns will have played
@home: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
@away: 6th, 7th, 9th, 15th, 18th

By comparison the swans will have played
@home: 3rd, 5th, 13th, 16th, 17th
@away: 10th, 12th, 15th, 18th

Last edited:

If the AFL want to have brand presence on the GC then this mob are doing more harm than good .

Better off having the Lions as the headline brand for all of SEQ.
Harsh... they've had a tough start, having to play 3 out of the current top 4 alongside another 3 top-half sides

Man. Suns were competitive in all games bar GWS.

Suns actually play some attractive footy. Inability to convert opportunities cost them. Yes, still patches of inconsistencies, too many turnovers. Sometimes too many passengers, sometimes young midfield killed on spread, still learning new game style introduced this off-season. Suns are number 1 team in competition to take the game on through corridor. Looks pretty slick when it works :p

Just re-watch the last quarter against your team yesterday. Suns were determined to win and dominated physically, mentally.

Suns missed out on one scalp from Melbourne, Saints, Collinwood (that one really hurt) games otherwise they would be 4W:4L during difficult fixture. The fixture is starting to open up for Suns after Freo game at home which I am reasonably confident will not be walk over for Freo.

10 wins still possible this year - my benchmark.

Last edited:
The fixture is starting to open up for Suns after Freo game at home which I am reasonably confident will not be walk over for Freo.

10 wins still possible this year - my benchmark.
The Fremantle game tomorrow presents a big opportunity for us to showcase our improvement this year but I would say our game against Melbourne in round 2 this year (where we only lost by 13 points and bettered the Dees in many key areas) would have been enough evidence to suggest we've improved but we haven't really gotten much credit for that. Ultimately, most punters don't care if you get close. They only take notice if you get the W and for that reason I really hope we can get the four points against the Dockers tomorrow and then our draw really starts to open up.

Freo have gone in too tall, and are not playing the wet slippery conditions well at all.
I somewhat agree but you need to adjust your gameplan to suit the conditions. They still have some small forwards. Not sure whether the coach made the moves earlier on the spark them. Gold coast still had some talls, like Chol, but he read the play and kicked some of his from crumb type of position which works in the wet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back