Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Been following this team from afar for most of its existence and I don't think I've ever been more convinced that they are on the precipice of something significant. The Miller-Rowell-Anderson midfield combination is going to test every team in the AFL and it's only going to be tougher for opposition if Witts stays healthy. Miller is already a superstar, Rowell looks like he's rediscovered his best and Anderson is a lot better than most people think. I believe their midfield is absolutely ready to take them up the ladder in 2022.

The only thing that will ruin 2022 for them in my mind is multiple significant injuries.

Good midfield but what about the forward line and defence? 10th-14th finish
If they finish 10th that would be a ******* good result for them

Losing King will hurt them in the long run. Let's not forget Gold Coast always seem to start the year off well then fall to pieces by round 6 or 7. It's happened for quite a few years now.

Anything higher than 10th is a successful season for them IMO.

The question is why does Gold Coast always fall apart after a few months? Is it because they are always a young team and the young players can't last an entire season?

The question is why does Gold Coast always fall apart after a few months? Is it because they are always a young team and the young players can't last an entire season?

Young bodies that conk out? Maybe they train too hard over pre-season? Maybe the Gold Coast weather fries them?

Good midfield but what about the forward line and defence? 10th-14th finish
If you want an analysis...

I think they're onto a winner with Lukosius spearheading the forward line. Very skilful player who stands at a key position height of 195cm and can consistently bang them through the big sticks from just about anywhere inside the 50m arc and even just outside the arc as well. So I don't they'll struggle to get goals from their bigger guys but I do think the end result of a game will often come down to their crumbing smalls like Ainsworth, Rankine and Sexton. If any of those guys fire like Ainsworth did on Monday night with four goals then they are going to put up big scores.

I actually don't think their backline is too bad either but if Rory Thompson stays healthy then that will make a huge difference for them structurally because it will open up Sam Collins to play as more of an interceptor. Ballard is a very competent tall defender too. Another thing I noticed in the preseason games was that Wil Powell and Lachie Weller's new roles in the team allow them to move the ball out of their defensive 50 with relative ease by utilising their accurate kicking and calm demeanours in pressure situations. It means opposition teams will likely find it harder to lock the ball in their forward 50 like they have in years gone by.

I think they're onto a winner with Lukosius spearheading the forward line. Very skilful player who stands at a key position height of 195cm and can consistently bang them through the big sticks from just about anywhere inside the 50m arc and even just outside the arc as well

Jack Lukosius with 9 career goals?

Jack Lukosius with 9 career goals?
Have you followed his career to date? He was considered the next Nick Riewoldt when playing as a key forward for WWT/SA in his draft year but the Suns knew he needed to build muscle to be able to compete at the AFL level so they played him as a half back flanker/winger for three years while he built his body and learnt what the best forwards in the league were doing. Now they've pulled the trigger and moved him into the forward line so you can't really look at the amount of goals he's kicked to date and say that's an indication of his ability as a forward. He kicked three goals in three quarters on Monday night and that's a far better indication of how he might go than the last three years he's spent in the backline or on the wing. Here's an example of what he was doing in the forward line:

Have you followed his career to date? He was considered the next Nick Riewoldt when playing as a key forward for WWT/SA in his draft year but the Suns knew he needed to build muscle to be able to compete at the AFL level so they played him as a half back flanker/winger for three years while he built his body and learnt what the best forwards in the league were doing. Now they've pulled the trigger and moved him into the forward line so you can't really look at the amount of goals he's kicked to date and say that's an indication of his ability as a forward. He kicked three goals in three quarters on Monday night and that's a far better indication of how he might go than the last three years he's spent in the backline or on the wing. Here's an example of what he was doing in the forward line on Monday night:

So when you said;

consistently bang them through the big sticks

You didn't actually mean it.

He was drafted as a Nick Reiwoldt-esque KPF. Jack Watts was also drafted as an elite KPF. Sometimes it doesn't work out. One preseason game isn't exactly evidence that he'll be consistently banging through goals for 22+ games a season when teams actually care.

So when you said;

You didn't actually mean it.

He's an exceptional kick of the footy and a lot of people think he's the best kick in the league. Are you asking if I've ever seen him kick goals? The answer is yes.

He was drafted as a Nick Reiwoldt-esque KPF. Jack Watts was also drafted as an elite KPF. Sometimes it doesn't work out. One preseason game isn't exactly evidence that he'll be consistently banging through goals for 22+ games a season when teams actually care.

Okay but judging his ability as a forward when he hasn't even played in the forward line certainly isn't evidence to the contrary. I'm going based on what I saw in his junior days coupled with his performance on Monday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an exceptional kick of the footy and a lot of people think he's the best kick in the league. Are you asking if I've ever seen him kick goals? The answer is yes.

Okay but judging his ability as a forward when he hasn't even played in the forward line certainly isn't evidence to the contrary. I'm going based on what I saw in his junior days coupled with his performance on Monday night.

He was an outstanding junior KPF. So was Jack Watts though. It doesn't always translate to AFL level.

It's all well and good to talk him up as the next big thing up forward, but he's yet to prove it in an AFL season proper. Certainly not enough to claim can consistently bang them through the big sticks when to this point of his AFL career, he's not done that.

The Gold Coast have never lacked talent.

He was an outstanding junior KPF. So was Jack Watts though. It doesn't always translate to AFL level.

It's all well and good to talk him up as the next big thing up forward, but he's yet to prove it in an AFL season proper. Certainly not enough to claim can consistently bang them through the big sticks when to this point of his AFL career, he's not done that.

The Gold Coast have never lacked talent.
Of course nothing is guaranteed but just because Jack Watts failed doesn't mean Lukosius is likely to fail. We've seen plenty of highly rated junior KPFs drafted over the last two decades and become superstars like Nick Riewoldt, Jarryd Roughead, Josh Kennedy etc and there are lots of recent examples of guys who were highly rated KPF juniors that look like they are going to become superstars like Max King, Aaron Naughton, Riley Thilthorpe, Nick Blakey etc.

Tell you what, let's revisit this thread in 11 days after the Suns have played their round 1 match and we can discuss about Lukosius' ability as a forward because that seems to be your only way of judging a player's ability.

Of course nothing is guaranteed but just because Jack Watts failed doesn't mean Lukosius is likely to fail. We've seen plenty of highly rated junior KPFs drafted over the last two decades and become superstars like Nick Riewoldt, Jarryd Roughead, Josh Kennedy etc and there are lots of recent examples of guys who were highly rated KPF juniors that look like they are going to become superstars like Max King, Aaron Naughton, Riley Thilthorpe, Nick Blakey etc.

Tell you what, let's revisit this thread in 11 days after the Suns have played their round 1 match and we can discuss about Lukosius' ability as a forward because that seems to be your only way of judging a player's ability.

1 game is an entirely insufficient sample either way.

And yes, my way of judging a player as a capable forward at AFL level requires them to display that they're a capable forward at AFL level. Especially after 3 years in the system when they've yet to demonstrate such. Ground breaking stuff I know.

Backline:

Took a big stride last year. Collins is serviceable and they hopefully can use either Graham or Thompson as an ok 2nd tall and the other as depth, which means Ballard gets to be the 3rd tall which gives them an elite interceptor. Powell is an excellent all around player. Weller slots in to half back. Then they've got enough options for the 6th and 7th. Ideally 2 of Bowes, Lemmens and Budarick. Markov and Farrar decent depth.

Mids:
Witts, tick. Miller, gun. Rowell and Anderson - yep. Ellis - does his job. Swallow's useful. Gets a bit interesting after that. Fiorini? McPherson? Atkins? Davies? Sharp? Tsitas? Constable?

Forwards:
Lukosius really should be allowed to be the mobile 3rd tall with a couple of mature bodies. Chol and Casboult or Day, not great, but they can do the job. Holman is a decent defensive forward. Ainsworth looks ready to finally produce consistently. Rankine can hopefully settle in more. Flanders, Sexton, hmmm.

They looked very fit and moved the ball well in preseason, but I don't think Dew's every really struggled to get a game plan together and start the season well. They've just fallen off a cliff as the year has progressed.

Can the likes of Fiorini, Atkins, McPherson, Sexton, Chol actually get games week after week and lay a platform of mature bodies for the younger talent to work from?

Down back, they seem sustainable. Witts, Miller, Rowell, Anderson hopefully is sustainable too, although you'd love one or two more proven mids that you can really trust to do a role apart from Ellis and Swallow. Up forward - there's just not a lot you can bank on right now.

Rowell and Anderson are still young guys and wont be playing A-grade footy on a week-to-week basis, but if they can stick around they've got an elite midfield.

I do feel GC are due for a couple of out-of-the-box seasons from a couple of their better players. Miller took his game to a new level in 2021, I'm hoping someone like Weller can produce a big year. Otherwise Powell is already a nice player.

Witts is surely due for a career season? When he hasn't been injured he's always sat in in that 5-10 range, but never challenged the absolute best.

Feel like it's the the same story every year for them. Plenty of promise, young players coming through, 'older' young players now have enough games to consolidate.

Really hope they have a good season.

Rowell and Anderson are still young guys and wont be playing A-grade footy on a week-to-week basis, but if they can stick around they've got an elite midfield.
Is that a foregone conclusion though? Tim Taranto made the jump in his third season with the Giants and won the club B&F ahead of some seriously talented players and that was of course the year that GWS made the grand final.

When do highly touted elite mids typically make the major stride from flashes of brilliance every now and then to consistent elite footy? We saw Sam Walsh make the jump in his third year as well in 2021 and became an All-Australian mid. Who's to say Rowell and/or Anderson won't do the same this year?

If Powell, Weller and Lemmens can all produce consistent seasons off half back and enter "career best season" territory, I think that'll go a long way to the Suns being competitive for the year. Those three are a nice mix of small defenders.

Rowell is going to be Robin to Touk's Batman this year. Mark my words.

Plus a spine of:
Collins
Thompson (or Ballard)
Rowell (or Anderson)
Casboult
Lukosius

Isn't that bad, even with King injured. They've got the pieces to build around that spine too. Weller across half back gives them good use from the backline which Lukosius originally provided. Chol as a 2nd ruckmen to chop out Witts is the right idea, plus can play forward. Ainsworth and Rankine as small forwards. Atkins and Ellis on the wings.

It's all there. I mean, we're not talking about a-graders on every line of the team but this might be a squad who's ability is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I'm keen to see how they go this year...

Brisbane is primed for another top-four finish but the big surprises of the pre-season were Gold Coast – which registered two wins against 2021 preliminary finalists Geelong and Port Adelaide – and Carlton, which will face another unbeaten pre-season team in Richmond at the MCG in Round 1.

Just released by the Herald Sun. They've taken notice of the Suns' preseason performances as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back