Rabish Binney

Left out overnight
Sep 7, 2021
Off the land, rural SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt; Man City
Dew still needs to go. Clarko would be perfect for the Suns. GWS need a rebuild.
If the Suns manage to get 10 wins (or even make the 8), does Dew still stay on?

I reckon Gill is desperate to get Clarko up there. Clarko could name his own price and the AFL will pay it...

Deeluded

Rookie
Oct 31, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
As a Dees supporter I've rated them this year since seeing what they did to us. We got the win but were lucky (they beat us in expected score if that's your thing). While they have let me down in my tipping, I think finals is not out of the question for them.

Metricon is starting to become a fortress - and they have started to get some interstate wins. Not many more matches against top sides to come for the rest of the season.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Although your statement is true, it probably sounds a little better if you point out that we've knocked off 3 of the current top 5 and only lost to Melbourne by 2 kicks. Brisbane are the only current top 5 team to do a number on us this season.

Our draw has been really tough to date having to play all of the top 6 teams in our opening 9 rounds but the positive that comes with a draw like that is everything really starts to open up from here and we just needed to secure enough wins to stay in the discussion, which I think we have as of today. Our next 6 opponents are all placed outside the top 8 so the opportunity is absolutely there for us to climb the ladder.
Wondering if having a tough draw to start for probably the first time ever is more to our benefit than getting easy games early on. By playing better sides we are having to rise a level quickly to be competitive rather than getting shellshocked when we encounter the top teams in the middle and latter stages of the season as has traditionally happened.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Having just stepped into this thread, the exclusion of King through injury is massive but on the other hand allows them to find other avenues to goal for season 2022. If they do that and then re add King in '23, they could very well be a decent football side by the end of 2023.

Posted this on March 13, 2022..

The injury to King has been a blessing in disguise. Good on Dew and the guys that have stuck fat and should now see a period of success, even if it doesn't start this year. They are on the way to some fun times.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gold Coast are a sneaky top 8 chance.

They'll be 4-6 after losing to Dogs this week.

But their last 12 games are quite nice. Only 3 you'd say they'll probably lose- Port in Adelaide, Haw in Tasmania, and Bris at Gabba.

Win 1 of those 3 (or this week) plus 7 of the other 9 (and they'll be favourites in virtually all of them) and that's 12 wins.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I can't remember what year it was but the year Gold Coast looked like they were going to make the 8 and then Ablett got injured was their best year in the competition so far and I personally think their 2022 team is better and more well rounded than that team.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't remember what year it was but the year Gold Coast looked like they were going to make the 8 and then Ablett got injured was their best year in the competition so far and I personally think their 2022 team is better and more well rounded than that team.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gold Coast's double up opponents- North Melbourne, West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Brisbane

Win most of their numerous matches against bottom teams, and then win a few against better teams or middle teams on the Gold Coast and that would be enough to get them into the 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
They look OK.
Don't know much of what goes on but need to target the Southern areas of the coast with the communities. Stadium is in Southport/Surface area with yuppies or tourists.
Really missing a trick by selling to Darwin and having 1 game in GC in 8 weeks.
GC is one of the best areas in Australia. Reckon there is actually a lot of goodwill for a dynamic hip cool club to succeed there as part of the narrative.
The western suburbs of Sydney are as boring as batshit and Canberra hardly screams exciting.
(I'm talking more as a neutral here. Gold coast just has more zing)

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Great signs so far.

Love their midfield mix. Been slowly putting games into a lot of young players and they’ve finally crossed the threshold into being genuinely good footballers.

Witts is having an elite season.

Collins is having an elite season.

Never paid a lot of attention to him while he was at the Tigers and assumed he was a spud, but Chol is actually a really solid footballer and just about the prototype pinch hitting 2nd ruckman. Really skilful for his size.

Casboult has been a strangely astute pickup.

Just nice to watch them forging on and developing into a competitive AFL side.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Having just stepped into this thread, the exclusion of King through injury is massive but on the other hand allows them to find other avenues to goal for season 2022. If they do that and then re add King in '23, they could very well be a decent football side by the end of 2023.
can see casboult n king forming a deadly duo for the next decade

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gold Coast are a sneaky top 8 chance.

They'll be 4-6 after losing to Dogs this week.

But their last 12 games are quite nice. Only 3 you'd say they'll probably lose- Port in Adelaide, Haw in Tasmania, and Bris at Gabba.

Win 1 of those 3 (or this week) plus 7 of the other 9 (and they'll be favourites in virtually all of them) and that's 12 wins.
I think they're up and about now and will beat the Dogs

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think they're up and about now and will beat the Dogs
It's worth mentioning that we (Gold Coast) almost beat the Dogs in round 18 last year (lost by 11 points) and that was a week before the Doggies pulled off a huge 20-point victory against the Dees, so it's not like the Bulldogs were playing poor footy at the time. Tim English dominated in that game with 37 hit outs against a 191cm medium defender (we had no healthy ruckmen then) but this time around English isn't playing and Jarrod Witts is arguably in All Australian form at the moment. It's going to be very interesting to see how the midfield battle plays out, especially now that the ruck match up should favour us.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
I can smell what they're cooking.
I've always (in recent years) considered them a better side than their record suggests. I tipped them against us in round 4.
They've got quality players across every line. Sure, there's been some injuries, but they just don't quite seem able to put it all together for long enough. They have patches of brilliance.
Not sure what it is? Coach? Gameplan? Player attitudes?

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can smell what they're cooking.
I've always (in recent years) considered them a better side than their record suggests. I tipped them against us in round 4.
They've got quality players across every line. Sure, there's been some injuries, but they just don't quite seem able to put it all together for long enough. They have patches of brilliance.
Not sure what it is? Coach? Gameplan? Player attitudes?
In previous years?
I mean the injuries at times have been decimating.

Last year all 3 ruckman on the list were out injured after about round 7.
Our main ruck for the last 15 rounds was a 191cm swing man forward/defender.

Previous years we’ve been picking from 25 players by the end of the year. The NEAFL competition was at a level which didn’t prepare anyone in the 2’s for AFL level.

The inconsistency, late season fade outs and injuries even has been about young inexperienced sides most prominently.

most of the core (Anderson, king, lukosius, rankine, Powell, Ballard, rowell, Ainsworth, collins, bowes, fiorini, chol etc..) is at 40-80 games now.
You’d expect those issues to diminish further once they get to 70-100 games in the next year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back