Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing how they seemingly have gone past the Giants (which is a reflection on how rubbish Leon Cameron was as coach)
Still got guns to come back too like King and Flanders (Ned is going to be a very good player)
That could be the most interesting aspect of this. The Suns have spent the last five years rebuilding their list while the Giants have spent the last five years trying to strike while their premiership window was open. Now it would appear the Suns may be about to enter a finals/premiership window of their own while the Giants look to have had their premiership window shut as of this year. The old switcheroo.

They flogged Hawthorn. And are on 5 wins from 11 games. They will smash the Roos this weekend but still have some tough teams in the run home and should end on 12 or 13 wins. Which means 9 or 10 losses. So I'd say they cant beat anyone.
So they didn't take Melbourne to the line? Didn't beat Carlton and Freo? Sydney in Sydney?
I'd say on their day they can.

On the day Hawthorn beat Brisbane and came close to Melbourne. I would think the point is consistency. I'd have no confidence in GCS beating Melbourne, Brisbane, Freo or St Kilda in a final.
Playing up in the NT is a different kettle of fish. I guess when it’s a dry deck is when we struggle.

Gold Coast play the kind of game style they could probably take any team.

Match up pretty well all around the ground. Pretty unpredictable up forward and seem to really pushing through some clever smalls.

Lots of parallels with Freo tbh. Elite ruck, hugely disciplined in defence, similar build. Midfield is more inside leaning.

Seems like they're really rolling now. Beating the teams they should beat by 10+ goals.

Growing chance they could be going into the last round v NM knowing a win gets them to the finals. 6 wins now with likely wins against Crows (h), nth(a), wc(h), NM (a), haw (a), and with a realistic chance against Collingwood (h), rich (h), ess (a)

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Growing chance they could be going into the last round v NM knowing a win gets them to the finals. 6 wins now with likely wins against Crows (h), nth(a), wc(h), NM (a), haw (a), and with a realistic chance against Collingwood (h), rich (h), ess (a)
We might even be a chance against Geelong at Metricon but I can understand why you didn't include them. Essendon made finals outright last year with 11 wins so if that were to be the case again this year then we would only need to win 5 of our remaining 10 games this season and as you've pointed out we play 18th, 17th, 16th, 14th and 13th over the next 10 weeks. We also play 12th, 11th and 9th. Clearly we have the kind of draw you want to make the finals and if we win the games we should win (based on current ladder positions) then we will play finals this season.

5 of our next 7 games are in Queensland. That should help a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were lots of questions marks over their forward line at the start of the year but for good reason. But they've done a great job with what many considered 4 months ago a makeshift forward line.

Next year their forward set-up would look like (IMO)

Rankine Casboult Jeffrey
Rosas King Chol and Ainsworth on the bench. Solid forward line next year.

Their backline is also very strong. After round 11 Collins and Ballard led the competition in intercept marks. Probably need a good Petty shutdown type since Thompson is old and always injured alongside Graham not seeming popular on the Suns board. Their rebounding types in Powell, Weller and Lukosius is strong as well.

Then you have a starting centre bounce of Witts, Miller, Rowell and Anderson which should be one of the better centre bounce set ups in the competition next year.

Gold Coast needs 7 wins from 10 games to basically guarantee them a finals spot (13-9). 6 wins would give them a fighting chance and it might come down to percentage (12-10)

Based on season to date, expected results would be:

Vs Adelaide – Win
@ Port- Loss
Vs Coll – Win
Vs Rich – Win
@ Ess- Win
@ Bris- Loss
Vs WCE - Win
@ Haw (TAS)- Loss
Vs Gee – 50/50
@ North – Win

6.5 wins. So 12.5 wins would be par

THIS is the game that will answer a lot of questions. We've historically been really poor after the bye and we've rarely been in a position of being such big favourites against a team like Adelaide ($1.23 favourites at the moment). We win today and the doubters will have a lot less reason to question us.

Did exactly what they needed to today.

Shame to have lost Powell who has had a really good season to date.

Another great game from Noah Anderson, but the one I thought really stood out was Rankine; 17 touches, 3 goals and gave a couple more away - very constructive but probably should have had a bag of 5, missed two or three set shots.

Finals on the horizon.

Did exactly what they needed to today.

Shame to have lost Powell who has had a really good season to date.

Another great game from Noah Anderson, but the one I thought really stood out was Rankine; 17 touches, 3 goals and gave a couple more away - very constructive but probably should have had a bag of 5, missed two or three set shots.

Finals on the horizon.
Ranked 1st in the league in goal assists.
Some fools were calling him selfish earlier in the year.

View attachment 1428107

Cursed Cat, amongst some fine players.

He's a beautiful field kick with excellent vision.

Can't wait to see him with King back in the side next year.

Really clean isn't he, great kick as you said but I like his hands in the F50 too.
Surprised Hawkins isn't among that lot, but then he's been a little quiet over the past month while Cameron has turned it on.

Another good return from Mabior Chol today too; perfect 2nd KF/back-up ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back