Something weird’s happening on YouTube

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t know if there are many others on here who, like myself, have YouTube channels dedicated to the preservation of VFL/AFL history (uploading old games/docos etc.) but today I’ve received emails re: copyright claims by the AFL on probably 30+ videos, many of which have been on my channel for years.

It’s nothing to worry about at this stage as they aren’t copyright strikes – the AFL have just identified their IP and have begun to run ads on the videos – but it makes me think that perhaps a Netflix style AFL historical streaming service is perhaps not as far away as we think (Akin to the WWE service and probably something similar to what Cricket Australia is putting together).

As long as the matches are available in a permanent location I don’t mind where it ends up.

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Melbourne Storm, McLaren
I hope we get a Netflix style AFL streaming service like the WWE Network. I've been wanting it for years. :)

As long as that's an option or those videos on YouTube stay up. I'm cool with whatever happens.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Don’t know if there are many others on here who, like myself, have YouTube channels dedicated to the preservation of VFL/AFL history (uploading old games/docos etc.) but today I’ve received emails re: copyright claims by the AFL on probably 30+ videos, many of which have been on my channel for years.

It’s nothing to worry about at this stage as they aren’t copyright strikes – the AFL have just identified their IP and have begun to run ads on the videos – but it makes me think that perhaps a Netflix style AFL historical streaming service is perhaps not as far away as we think (Akin to the WWE service and probably something similar to what Cricket Australia is putting together).

As long as the matches are available in a permanent location I don’t mind where it ends up.
Kayo sports is running some old games on its service. I noticed the Preliminary Final from 2007 between Geelong and Collingwood, and Richmond v Carlton from Round 14 2002. Now those aren't readily available elsewhere to my knowledge. They do run retro rugby league as well on there. It's worth the $25 a month, and you can watch it on your laptop, whereas AFL on Telstra is only on your phucking phone or tablet 😠

Gibbsy what old games from the wobbles do you have? I put all I have up on YouTube, but I am always looking to add to my collection, particularly since I lost all of my pre-2009 footage to a busted hard drive 😭

Keep it real mate 😜

Gersman

Team Captain
May 10, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh god the AFL wanting to get their incompetent mits all over it. Look out.
They'd probably charge an absolute f***tonne to watch it.
Rather have it on Youtube anyday!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back