Analysis Somewhat more specific Centre Clearance stats

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
A few weeks ago I think our poor clearance stats from last year, along with the use of Shaun Grigg in the ruck were being brought up in reference to the new 6-6-6 rule.
Obviously the 6-6-6 rule will only affect centre clearances - and the stats for that show that we aren't really so bad. But I wanted to go more in depth. Scrappy centre clearances that take time won't be affected so much because wings can set up exactly how they would in that time anyway.
So, I started going back and watching all our games and compiling stats regarding this. I'm planning on going through the entire year (excluding the prelim, if you really want those stats, you can do that yourself), but I want to post it now before the season starts so there can at least be some discussion if wanted. Most of it is pretty self explanatory but there's a few things to note.

'Easy' - means what it says, an easy clearance. I took that to be when a player quickly got into space and had time to make a decision and execute it, or when someone in the first few possessions got a kick out to a 50/50 at HF
'Scrimmage' is basically any clearance that wasn't easy
There are two more categories I have: 'Taken' which is when the ball is taken out of the ruck. This is like an easy one but often kicks were rushed. With new rucking rules coming in I thought I'd take note of when this happened for comparison. The other one B.O.S (back of square) meaning a player has come off half back and gotten the clearance. The chances of a loose player at half back are slim to none now so I think it's important to try separate them. But, this is tricky to pick on a broadcast, so I've only picked up 1 of these so far from memory. When summarised these are kept together in the 'other' column.
You can change the range of rounds represented on the 'Summary' page by dragging the 'START' and 'END' pages around your desired selection.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, some of my definitions are a little hazy. If there's enough interest, I'll do it for this year's games too. If I do it this year, I think I'll make it more objective, measuring the amount of time taken to get it out of the square or something like that. Feel free to give suggestions, I'm unlikely to change the 2018 stuff because that's a pain in the arse, and it's good enough I reckon.

Hopefully the file works.

Attachments

• RFC ruck 18 1 to 11.xlsx
    76.3 KB · Views: 292
Subscribed! I have been waiting for someone to deep dive into our clearances, because the ones that impact us the most (in a positive and negative way if it is against) with the 6-6-6 rule are the “easy” or the “taken” ones.

Can you also keep track of the opposition when you watch the games and what they get? I think it will be a great to compare our centre clearance breakdowns to our opponents in each of our games.

Oh wait, you already kept track of the opposition in the Excel file. Never mind!
For a second there I thought you were asking for me to do this for non-Richmond games:oops:
I included the opposition ruck as it wasn’t too much extra work and as you say, adds a bit extra to be analysed. Also if Grigg is getting exposed it can be seen whether it’s isolated to just against number 1 rucks, or against all. Though so far the data seems to suggest that our midfield performance isn’t heavily affected by the ruck we have.

For a second there I thought you were asking for me to do this for non-Richmond games:oops:
I included the opposition ruck as it wasn’t too much extra work and as you say, adds a bit extra to be analysed. Also if Grigg is getting exposed it can be seen whether it’s isolated to just against number 1 rucks, or against all. Though so far the data seems to suggest that our midfield performance isn’t heavily affected by the ruck we have.
lol no I'm not that cruel :p

Yeah it certainly does seem that way. looks like we are not that great in the 'scrimmage' stat, which should reduce in the 6-6-6 format. It would be interesting what the JLT numbers were too.

A few weeks ago I think our poor clearance stats from last year, along with the use of Shaun Grigg in the ruck were being brought up in reference to the new 6-6-6 rule.
Obviously the 6-6-6 rule will only affect centre clearances - and the stats for that show that we aren't really so bad. But I wanted to go more in depth. Scrappy centre clearances that take time won't be affected so much because wings can set up exactly how they would in that time anyway.
So, I started going back and watching all our games and compiling stats regarding this. I'm planning on going through the entire year (excluding the prelim, if you really want those stats, you can do that yourself), but I want to post it now before the season starts so there can at least be some discussion if wanted. Most of it is pretty self explanatory but there's a few things to note.

'Easy' - means what it says, an easy clearance. I took that to be when a player quickly got into space and had time to make a decision and execute it, or when someone in the first few possessions got a kick out to a 50/50 at HF
'Scrimmage' is basically any clearance that wasn't easy
There are two more categories I have: 'Taken' which is when the ball is taken out of the ruck. This is like an easy one but often kicks were rushed. With new rucking rules coming in I thought I'd take note of when this happened for comparison. The other one B.O.S (back of square) meaning a player has come off half back and gotten the clearance. The chances of a loose player at half back are slim to none now so I think it's important to try separate them. But, this is tricky to pick on a broadcast, so I've only picked up 1 of these so far from memory. When summarised these are kept together in the 'other' column.
You can change the range of rounds represented on the 'Summary' page by dragging the 'START' and 'END' pages around your desired selection.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, some of my definitions are a little hazy. If there's enough interest, I'll do it for this year's games too. If I do it this year, I think I'll make it more objective, measuring the amount of time taken to get it out of the square or something like that. Feel free to give suggestions, I'm unlikely to change the 2018 stuff because that's a pain in the arse, and it's good enough I reckon.

Hopefully the file works.
Firstly, awesome.
Secondly, I know this means I suck but Excel gets a little ugly on a mobile sized screen.
Do you mind posting an analysis of your findings?

God that’s a lot of work. Props
Cheers. It’s probably not as much as it seems, only about 30min per game and I could cut it down a bit if I didn’t watch all the Richmond goals too.

Firstly, awesome.
Secondly, I know this means I suck but Excel gets a little ugly on a mobile sized screen.
Do you mind posting an analysis of your findings?
I absolutely will, I’m only halfway through the season so far but when I’m done I’ll do an analysis.

Incredible work Harry!

Ive said it once and I'll keep saying it, tapwork is the most overrated stat in modern football.

This is awesome.

Just a suggestion, but when you finish it might help the analysis to set your data up as a single data set.

With columns for game, opposition, Quarter, Ruck (code), Win/loss (Code), Easy/Scrimmage/Taken/BOS (code)

That way you only have 6 columns and you can set it up for pivot tables pretty easily. Then slicing and dicing is straightforward.

But this is awesome - great work.

This is awesome.

Just a suggestion, but when you finish it might help the analysis to set your data up as a single data set.

With columns for game, opposition, Quarter, Ruck (code), Win/loss (Code), Easy/Scrimmage/Taken/BOS (code)

That way you only have 6 columns and you can set it up for pivot tables pretty easily. Then slicing and dicing is straightforward.

But this is awesome - great work.
Thanks, I'll have a go at that when I'm finished (but I might need to come back to you for a bit of help if needed!)

Thanks, I'll have a go at that when I'm finished (but I might need to come back to you for a bit of help if needed!)

I spend all day looking at survey data and have to create picot tables to analyse it all the time.

If you set your data up right up front it makes the analysis really straightforward. Something I learnt the hard way. It's all about understanding how pivot tables work for good analysis. then making sure your data works that way. Anyway, very happy to help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back