Mod. Notice Son of Lidge - a chip off the old block

Remove this Banner Ad

This will be a bit of a walk down memory lane for a few of you Big Footy old-timers. Many of us had the good fortune and pleasure to know the legendary mod of this site - Shane 'Lidge' Lidgerwood, who is of course fondly remembered for his leadership role with the Roosistence movement in opposing club and AFL plans to relocate NMFC to the Gold Coast back in 2007. Aside from being a leading voice, organiser and provocateur, Lidge kicked in a good deal of his own money and resources, famously using his professional media skills and production company to produce a series of broadcast radio ads telling the AFL to "stick the Gold Coast where the sun don't shine." Some of you may still have the bumper stickers that Lidge created to go along with that media blitz.

Sadly, Lidge passed away, not long after we won the fight to remain in Melbourne, leaving behind a young family. His youngest, Oscar, was just 5 years old at the time. Lidge's partner Abi, whose voice you heard in those Roosistence radio ads, was left to raise Oscar on her own, and from all reports, she has done a wonderful job. Believe it or not, Oscar turned 18 this year and he also graduated high school. Below you can see a picture of Oscar wearing Lidge's NMFC game day jacket and classic Roosistence tshirt. Isn't he just the spitting image of his dad?

Oscar Lidge.jpg

Now, in news which would surely make Lidge incredibly proud if he was still with us, Oscar has been accepted into the prestigious Columbia College in Chicago to do a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, majoring in directing and playwriting. He has been granted a partial scholarship, which is an amazing accomplishment in itself, but there will still be huge costs for travel, accommodation, and tuition fees over the next three years. To help Abi and Oscar out, a fundraising page has been established on the website "FUNDMYTRAVEL."

I appreciate that it has been a tough couple of years for many, and we are coming to the time of year when most of us are committed to buying presents or going on holidays with our own family. However, if any of you have even a little money that you can spare to help Oscar achieve his dream, then I think it would be a wonderful gesture and a great way to honour our dear friend Lidge, who let's be honest, gave absolutely everything so that we could continue to have a football team to barrack for.

Here is the link to the FUNDMYTRAVEL page if you would be so kind as to help Oscar on his journey:

https://www.fundmytravel.com/campai...S6tUHUHdThbFyuO4gY-HLuxFT3C2j7EXoUjzYdPQ5fnb8

Thank you.

This will be a bit of a walk down memory lane for a few of you Big Footy old-timers. Many of us had the good fortune and pleasure to know the legendary mod of this site - Shane 'Lidge' Lidgerwood, who is of course fondly remembered for his leadership role with the Roosistence movement in opposing club and AFL plans to relocate NMFC to the Gold Coast back in 2007. Aside from being a leading voice, organiser and provocateur, Lidge kicked in a good deal of his own money and resources, famously using his professional media skills and production company to produce a series of broadcast radio ads telling the AFL to "stick the Gold Coast where the sun don't shine." Some of you may still have the bumper stickers that Lidge created to go along with that media blitz.

Sadly, Lidge passed away, not long after we won the fight to remain in Melbourne, leaving behind a young family. His youngest, Oscar, was just 5 years old at the time. Lidge's partner Abi, whose voice you heard in those Roosistence radio ads, was left to raise Oscar on her own, and from all reports, she has done a wonderful job. Believe it or not, Oscar turned 18 this year and he also graduated high school. Below you can see a picture of Oscar wearing Lidge's NMFC game day jacket and classic Roosistence tshirt. Isn't he just the spitting image of his dad?

View attachment 1288562

Now, in news which would surely make Lidge incredibly proud if he was still with us, Oscar has been accepted into the prestigious Columbia College in Chicago to do a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, majoring in directing and playwriting. He has been granted a partial scholarship, which is an amazing accomplishment in itself, but there will still be huge costs for travel, accommodation, and tuition fees over the next three years. To help Abi and Oscar out, a fundraising page has been established on the website "FUNDMYTRAVEL."

I appreciate that it has been a tough couple of years for many, and we are coming to the time of year when most of us are committed to buying presents or going on holidays with our own family. However, if any of you have even a little money that you can spare to help Oscar achieve his dream, then I think it would be a wonderful gesture and a great way to honour our dear friend Lidge, who let's be honest, gave absolutely everything so that we could continue to have a football team to barrack for.

Here is the link to the FUNDMYTRAVEL page if you would be so kind as to help Oscar on his journey:

https://www.fundmytravel.com/campai...S6tUHUHdThbFyuO4gY-HLuxFT3C2j7EXoUjzYdPQ5fnb8

Thank you.
I was just getting to know Lidge at the time and had an appointment with him to give him some commercial work the day he died. We had plenty of chats on the blower re his plans for public mischief if the decision had gone the wrong way. I would give him a WANM update and he would give me the roosistence angle, often preceded with the words 'you don't know this, but'. Great shinboner - sorry I didn't get the opportunity to know him better. Congratulations Oscar and Abi and thanks Pharro for this uplifting update. I still remember calling you with the bad news on that tragic day.

A great cause pharro and one worth becoming unDONE for. Top top fella was Lidge and I wish he was here to crack open the bubbly with the rest of us to celebrate our newfound debt free status.

Abi’s a ripper and yes, Oscar is definitely a “chip off the old block”.

Unfortunately money is a bit tight right now as I'm funding my own study.

But just wanted to thank you for posting the update for us, hope Oscar absolutely dominates his degree like his Dad did the relocation movement.

Best wishes as always to the Lidge family.

will do, looking forward to 2022 and footy. I'll look out for your surfboard on the roof in the carpark

pffft. Real paddleboarder's use the Yarra on gameday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember coming across this forum late in the piece for our fight to remain who we are.

Lidge was a driving force. The epicentre, if you will. The spark that was the voice for the voiceless. The supporter in the outer. The strength that none of us felt we had.

If people can tip in for a sponsorship as part of Bigfooty, then you can tip in for his son. His legacy.

I'd encourage everybody to get on board here. It's the least we can do.

View attachment 1288562

Thank you.
amazing work, humanity at it's finest, really pumped to see this money raised for Oscar, Kangas faithful brought it home, thanks again for posting and go Roos

Hey pharro how is Lidge’s lad getting on ? Be nice to hear if he was ok. Cheers.
Oscar had a cracking year in Chicago, but will be staying in Australia moving forward. Extremely grateful for any donations that helped him live his dream. He will make a name of himself here I am sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back