Song Contest Part XIII, Host: JoshWoodenSpoon, Theme: Woodblocks/Cowbells, Noms Due: Mon 8:45pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
My other idea for a theme was songs with Crossfit related words in the title.

Then dont make it a competition. Thats the crux of the matter. people want to win. They nom songs that give them a good chance of winning. Those songs are recognisable songs.

You are not going to have a great variety based on a competition
Yeah of my small sample size of 3 wins, 2 have been famous songs but the other was not just a virgin, but also a little known artist (albeit not quite as obscure as the one I nommed this round)

i don't whore that often, but seem to have better luck with whores than virgins.....
I guess #integrity means that I don't often nom with the aim of winning, and am also not often put off nomming a song because of the billy/low vote risk

I know most others approach this competition differently

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Yeah of my small sample size of 3 wins, 2 have been famous songs but the other was not just a virgin, but also a little known artist (albeit not quite as obscure as the one I nommed this round)

i don't whore that often, but seem to have better luck with whores than virgins.....
I guess #integrity means that I don't often nom with the aim of winning, and am also not often put off nomming a song because of the billy/low vote risk

I know most others approach this competition differently
I tend to mix it up a bit. Sometimes a song comes to me or based on other songs from the contest I may nom a 'recommended song' I like a lot. Mazzy Star Into Dust is a song I consider new and different yet others may see it as a streetwalker. I dont know.

I nommed The Stranger for the Big Lebowski round because it hadnt been nommed and I like Billy Joel and that song. That I thought it might go ok didnt hurt the choice.

Then dont make it a competition. Thats the crux of the matter. people want to win. They nom songs that give them a good chance of winning. Those songs are recognisable songs.

You are not going to have a great variety based on a competition
Wait, people other than Plonka are actually trying to win? I've only ever been here to find new music. I get a kick at times out of some of my noms getting votes only because it's nice to know someone is enjoying some new music.

Wait, people other than Plonka are actually trying to win? I've only ever been here to find new music. I get a kick at times out of some of my noms getting votes only because it's nice to know someone is enjoying some new music.
I try to win occasionally. Feel free to billy the s**t out of the streetwalker that I've nommed this round.

I gave you new music . But you didn't vote for it
Guess you're after something more :p
There was plenty of unfamiliar music in that round. It was a great round apart from the predictable winner. Your nom did nothing for me but I appreciated that it wasn't something predictable.

There was plenty of unfamiliar music in that round. It was a great round apart from the predictable winner. Your nom did nothing for me but I appreciated that it wasn't something predictable.
Even the winner was unfamiliar to me. Hadn't heard of any of the songs other than my own. As I said earlier in the thread- I was surprised by the lack of JP/Metallica/IM

A few people in this contest nom a wide variety of genres
But I wouldn't consider you one of those people, so love the irony of your comments
Even though it's sweet that your professional empathy applies to the SC too ;)
You might like to reconsider. I'll make you a playlist from some of my noms.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
It may have been predictable but that wasn't my intention. I'm gobsmacked that I won a metal round. I chose my nom by listening to a playlist of 2010s metal and choosing one I liked. One of my other wins, the mashup round, was also basically a Google job.

Even the winner was unfamiliar to me. Hadn't heard of any of the songs other than my own. As I said earlier in the thread- I was surprised by the lack of JP/Metallica/IM
Ghost have won a previous round and it wasn't in a metal/heavy theme. Was always going to win amongst a majority metal list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Ive been checking out the spreadsheet and my mind is blown, so many freaky out there tunes...
That Louie Louie number for instance, wow!
It was like a whole new musical experience.
If it wasn't so obscure I reckon there might be a band or two willing to try their hand at a cover of it.

I enjoy discovering new music through this but, in the end, it is called a song CONTEST to some people will have intentions on winning every now and then.

I could easily do the same for myself
But it’s kind of like a highlights package isn’t it , in that it would only provide a snapshot
It’s people like Chappyuk and Loonerty who I seem to both billy and vote for in almost equal frequency who come to mind when I think of variety .
Also Bet on Blue (I hope you come back someday )

Ula your songs frequently make neither list for me so

I guess the /fresh but does nothing factor goes both ways then ;)

Who the hell gave this a 5 vote? For shame.
I gave it 1. It was hilarious . Such a jolly tune and I found myself singing along . I almost played it this morning in the car (I carpooled with my very conservative dad today :D ) but thought better of it .

Last edited:
Ive been checking out the spreadsheet and my mind is blown, so many freaky out there tunes...
That Louie Louie number for instance, wow!
It was like a whole new musical experience.
If it wasn't so obscure I reckon there might be a band or two willing to try their hand at a cover of it.
Stuck out like a sore thumb dinit? Can't think why.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Stuck out like a sore thumb dinit? Can't think why.
Sorry im a bit distracted by something that happened today.

If I can take 7 seconds of your time Ill tell you about it.

Lookin out my back door today past the Flame trees on Baker st, I noticed some nefarious kids hanging round my garage.
Im in love with my car so I told them to Beat it, cause Were not going to take it if its damaged and You better get a lawyer son if you even think about scratching it.
Cause the paintwork is really something- it started out blue but I told the panel beater to Paint it black with Gold on the ceiling.

Anyway I digress, please tell us more about your unique nomming style?

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Sorry im a bit distracted by something that happened today.

If I can take 7 seconds of your time Ill tell you about it.

Lookin out my back door today past the Flame trees on Baker st, I noticed some nefarious kids hanging round my garage.
Im in love with my car so I told them to Beat it, cause Were not going to take it if its damaged and You better get a lawyer son if you even think about scratching it.
Cause the paintwork is really something- it started out blue but I told the panel beater to Paint it black with Gold on the ceiling.

Anyway I digress, please tell us more about your unique nomming style?
You should probably call the fire dept.

Post-round update! (339) - I'm a bit behind on these.

BILLY:
PODIUMS:
WINNER:
  • drunkgoliath (2nd)
Sozabarus returned to this round after a few off.

*Hall of Fame*
5 song contest wins - roo2macca, Hard Ball Get, JoseMourinho, royboy2, edgie, Loonerty, Chappyuk, Marklar_33, Allikat, CakeEater, Illinois Nazi, Wooshette, the fly, Gigantor, Smeg Head, DroopStDanny, Back One Out, Sozabarus, Bet on Blue, OES, Plugger35, Chaisa, Ulahoopski, The Filth Wizard, Elton Johns Wig, GreyCrow, Freofalcon, Morganashlee, NaturalDisaster, SM, William Wonka

Top of the pack: Three consecutive top three finishes - Hard Ball Get (Rounds 40, 41, 42; and Rounds 41, 42, 43), roo2macca (Rounds 48, 49, 50), edgie (Rounds 83, 84, 85), Loonerty, (Rounds 94, 95, 96; and Rounds 95, 96, 97), Chaisa (Rounds 124, 125, 126), DroopStDanny (Rounds 177, 178, 179), Chappyuk (Rounds 215, 216, 217), Elton Johns Wig (Rounds 225, 226, 227; and Rounds 226, 227, 228), Sterge (Rounds 299, 300, 301), DroopstDanny (Rounds 307-309) por_please_ya (Rounds 309, 310, 311), William Wonka (Rounds 334-336)

The real 1st place!: Three 2nd places within 5 rounds - Sterge (Rounds 299, 300, 301)

Moving on up!: From 3rd to 1st over three consecutive rounds -

The Joe Root award: I've participated in 50 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, Freofalcon, Royboy2, thefly, JoseMourinho, Hard Ball Get, Smeg Head, SugarShane, edgie, Little Graham, MEB_, Illinois Nazi, Allikat, Jazny, CakeEater, Gigantor, Loonerty, Marklar_33, Back One Out, Wooshette, Van_Dyke, IKnowtheDog, Bomberboyokay, Chaisa, OES, Bet on Blue, DroopstDanny, Ulahoopski, Sozabarus, Call_Me_Floss, GreyCrow, krisholio14, The Filth Wizard, Elton Johns Wig, NaturalDisaster, raskolnikov, MWPP, NinjaSwan, Yidaki, El Dubya, Nuffers, Morganashlee, SM, William Wonka, por_please_ya, Agent93, Noobz0r, The Jesus, vanders, JoshWoodenSpoon

I'm no longer Joe Root!: I've participated in 100 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, JoseMourinho, Hard Ball Get, royboy2, the fly, edgie, Smeg Head, Illinois Nazi, little graham, Freofalcon, CakeEater, Loonerty, Gigantor, Marklar_33, Back One Out, OES, Bet on Blue, DroopstDanny, Ulahoopski, Chaisa, Sozabarus, Jazny, GreyCrow, The Filth Wizard, NaturalDisaster, raskolnikov, Elton Johns Wig, Wooshette, MWPP, MEB_

I'm Now Brian Lara!: I've participated in 150 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, royboy2, the fly, Smeg Head, CakeEater, Loonerty, Marklar_33, Back One Out, edgie, OES, Bet on Blue, Ulahoopski, DroopstDanny, Sozabarus, GreyCrow, The Filth Wizard, NaturalDisaster

The Kumar Sangakkara Award: I've participated in 200 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, royboy2, the fly, Smeg Head, CakeEater, Marklar_33, Loonerty, Back One Out, Bet on Blue, Ulahoopski

The Punter Award: I've participated in 250 song contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca, Smeg Head, the fly, Loonerty

The Gavin Wanganeen Award! For 300 contests - Chappyuk, Plugger35, roo2macca

The AB de Villiers award: I scored 50 or more botes for my nomination! - Wooshette 50 (Round 7), El Dubya 67 (Round 9), Wooshette 50 (Round 11), roo2macca 57 (Rounds 18), richoatthedisco 53 (Round 20), Allikat 52 (Round 30), Plugger35 53 (Round 33), JoseMourinho 50 (Round 51), Loonerty52(Round 52), Smeg Head 55 (Round 69), edgie 50 (Round 73), Marklar_33 53 (Round 88), edgie 56 (Round 103), CakeEater 54 (Round 105), royboy2 53 (Round 111), Bet on Blue 60 (Round 127), the fly 51 (Round 148), roo2macca 51 (Round 157), CakeEater 51 (Round 174), Bet on Blue 50 (Round 200), Morganashlee 65 (Round 275), Chappyuk 54 (Round 315)

I Bote Whored!: 20 podium finishes - roo2macca, Hard Ball Get, royboy2, Loonerty, Chappyuk, Plugger35, edgie, Smeg Head, Chaisa, DroopstDanny, Back One Out, Bet on Blue, Sozabarus, Ulahoopski, CakeEater, the fly, GreyCrow, Elton Johns Wig, William Wonka

Beginner's Luck!: Podium on Debut - Freofalcon (Round 1)*, Good Old (Round 1), Probitas (Round 1) Hard Ball Get (Round 2)*, MEB_ (Round 2), brahj (Round 15), Sydney Bloods (Round 36), Loonerty (Round 44), Van_Dyke (Round 67), One Eyed Sainter (Round 100)*, BlueBelle (Round 102), Bet on Blue (Round 104), Ulahoopski (Round 110), DroopStDanny (Round 110), dogs105 (Round 196)

*Also won

The Magnificent Seven: 7 top 7 finishes in a row - roo2macca (Rounds 44-50, 45-51, 46-52) Ulahoopski (Rounds 160-166, 161-167, 162-168, 163-169 164-170), William Wonka (Rounds 332-338, Rounds 333-339)

I Host to Win Contests: Winning a Round You Hosted - JoseMourinho (Round 38 - Jazz/Blues), edgie (Round 85 - Physical Movements), Bet on Blue (Round 113 - Cities/Towns Redux), GreyCrow (Round 248 - Circus), por_please_ya (Round 311 - Women)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back