Song Contest Part XIV, Host: Ulahoopski, Theme: Songs Starting With a Vowel, Votes Due: Wednesday 9pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of these guys.

After a bit of aggressive local stuff after re-reading Kimi Kritzler's book recently.
Have you heard of Private Function? They're a personal favourite and put on a killer live show.

Melbourne's punk and alt rock scene is brilliant right now (Vintage Crop, U-Bahn and Gonzo are a few that have put out quality projects this year). In terms of aggressive punk, I find Bandcamp's a pretty good source for it.

I generally love DIY, noisy punk though.

I haven't heard Private Function but will have a listen.
Gonzo originally from Geelong? I could be thinking of someone else.

Bandcamp is by far my favourite way to find new stuff. Album art, music, a bit of bio and informations about the albums/tracks. It's like an all in one package which is nice.
Likewise. Especially when it's got an Australian flavour. Sometimes slowed down with a sludgy bass feel to the sound.
Oops meant to say Victorian punk. I actually think all three of those bands are from Geelong. Must be a pretty strong music scene there.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Geelong is happening.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
And spitting on cops is the locals favorite passtime.
Also popular:
Mohawks, saftey pin piercings and random acts of violence (and thats just the country women's association)

Those Best Sponge comps are cutthroat.

Theme wasn't that hard, IMO. I had a number of other potential noms that would have been valid, but I just read the thread title and never thought there would be some garbage tag-on to the rule that the song name can't be the same as the album, because that seems pretty pointless. Oh well I don't really have time anyway.

Low Life's debut LP still deserves more credit though. Especially given they somehow got caught-up in pizzagate despite being an underground punk band from Sydney.
Yep, that basically meant half my music library couldn't be nommed haha

That song "Talking to Myself" by Private Function sounds so familiar that I was sure it was a cover. Odd question but has it been used commercially or something because for some reason i even know the words lol?

Maybe it's been played alot on 3RRR or something and crept into my conscience.
Probably the latter. I could see them getting a lot of airplay on Triple R.

I thought the same when I first heard it, but I had prior seen them play it live.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Boted

1555418498801.png

I was temped to try and nominate Taylor without getting the BM, but it was too risky so I sat out again. But these were in contention:

"Big reputation, big reputation
Ohh you and me we got big reputations, ah
And you heard about me, ohh
I got some big enemies"

"This ain't for the best
My reputation's never been worse, so
You must like me for me
We can't make
Any promises now, can we, babe?
But you can make me a drink"

Status
Not open for further replies.