Song Contest Part XV, Host: Back One Out, Theme: Woodwind Instruments, Votes Due: Sunday 10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these ratings even work?

I'm trying to rig a particular album onto the second page, but it's rated lower than some songs there and higher than others?

Is there no order to these rankings???
The Rate Your Music algorithm?

An unknown album with just 5 ratings (ranging between 4 and 5 stars) is not going to be placed higher on the chart than an album with 5,000 ratings and averaging 3.76

The Rate Your Music algorithm?

An unknown album with just 5 ratings (ranging between 4 and 5 stars) is not going to be placed higher on the chart than an album with 5,000 ratings and averaging 3.76
There seemed to be some weird stuff as well though. Higher average rating, more ratings but lower ranked than others.

#SongContestResults
In 22nd place, Back One Out with Def Leppard – Photograph. 5 votes, 4 billies.
Maybe less Lil B spamming and more double-checking botes

#worsthostever

So who received my 4 votes from Ula?

Got my 5. All of your votes it seems.
5 - Photograph - Def Leppard
4 - Sober to Death - Car Seat Head Cover
3 - Breakdown - Slint
2 - きのこ帝国 - 退屈しのぎ
1 - Config.sys - Master Boot Record
Billy - Colors Wove Me in Teheran - Saba Alizadeh

5: Anna von Hausswolff - The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra
4: Photograph - Def Leppard
3: CONFIG.SYS

2: Bobby "Blue" Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City
1: Cat Power- The Greatest
Billy: Tatsuro Yamas**ta (山下達郎) - Only With You

Maybe less Lil B spamming and more double-checking botes

#worsthostever

So who received my 4 votes from Ula?
I had intended to use it to rig the results in my favour, but a late burst of votes for other songs stopped me from doing that. TBH not sure, didn't save the Spreadsheet. Maybe I'll go through eventually and try to figure it out. Probably not.

There seemed to be some weird stuff as well though. Higher average rating, more ratings but lower ranked than others.
I think the Chart algorithm also weeds out the ratings from the tools who try too hard to influence things with extremes of 5 stars and 1 star ratings. In order for your ratings to count, you've gotta be balanced and have an even spread of 5's, 4's, 3's, 2's and 1's

I've clicked on some users who have literally spent hours/days/weeks dishing out 1 star to hundreds/thousands of the greatest albums ever: the entire catalog of bands such as Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc. I'm talking 100-200 one-star ratings every day for a week. I just shake my head and think "you f**kwit"

There's always clowns out there who are hellbent on spoiling a good thing. (...and you know who you are...)

Last edited:
I had intended to use it to rig the results in my favour, but a late burst of votes for other songs stopped me from doing that. TBH not sure, didn't save the Spreadsheet. Maybe I'll go through eventually and try to figure it out. Probably not.
You had one job to do.

Add up the votes and publish them... :rolleyes:

the entire catalog of bands such as Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, etc. I'm talking 100-200 one-star ratings every day for a week. I just shake my head
They may also get lots of one-two star ratings (along with 4-5's) as people could go into listening to those bands/albums with extremely high expectations due to the enormous praise they have gotten over the decades. Maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we start a hosting protocol at the end of every round the host forward through the total botes received to whomever manages the spreadsheet?

It wouldn't be that hard to do, and it'd have a second set of eyes to double check results
Too much effort.

They may also get lots of one-two star ratings (along with 4-5's) as people could go into listening to those bands/albums with extremely high expectations due to the enormous praise they have gotten over the decades. Maybe.
There would be some of that, but that's not the RYM dickhead I'm referring to. They're not listening to any of those albums. They're just working their way through the canon and down rating every single release of bands they're indifferent towards. :$ :D

What's the point of rating albums or songs without listening, purely to influence an aggregate score? I don't get that.

There would be some of that, but that's not the RYM dickhead I'm referring to. They're not listening to any of those albums. They're just working their way through the canon and down rating every single release of bands they're indifferent towards. :$ :D
What a dickhead. Most those albums are AT LEAST a 2/5. ;)

What a dickhead. Most those albums are AT LEAST a 2/5. ;)
Yeah, I don't get that either. You talk about narrow-mindedness, but you exhibit your own brand of narrow-mindedness by dismissing & downrating all the good music from more than 25 years ago for no reason other than you've heard it before.

I don't understand some people's constant hankering for new, fresh sounds. To my mind, that's less about the actual music and more about music-as-fashion

Yeah, I don't get that either. You talk about narrow-mindedness, but you exhibit your own brand of narrow-mindedness by dismissing & downrating all the good music from more than 25 years ago for no reason other than you've heard it before.

I don't understand some people's constant hankering for new, fresh sounds. To my mind, that's less about the actual music and more about music-as-fashion
I'm taking the piss, mate. It's nothing to do with having heard it before. It mostly just genuinely doesn't resonate with me. Pink Floyd was my all-time favourite band a few years a go. Just don't do it for me anymore.

I'm taking the piss, mate. It's nothing to do with having heard it before. It mostly just genuinely doesn't resonate with me. Pink Floyd was my all-time favourite band a few years a go. Just don't do it for me anymore.
I know what you mean....

Maybe music really is just fashion... like clothes, lingo, etc

I've noticed so many current tunes which get voted up into our Top 5 which are clearly inferior to the timeworn classics which barely get into the double figures. Inferior by every objective measure, apart from the fact, they sound cool - they benefit from the latest studio gadgetry, plug-ins and production tricks.

Last edited:
What's the point of rating albums or songs without listening, purely to influence an aggregate score? I don't get that.
Especially when it's a genre/era/band that they're not interested in anyway in the first place. It's like someone who can't stand sci-fi going and ranking a Star Wars movie one star (I think SW is sci-fi) with a scathing review when they knew beforehand they would hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back