Song Contest Part XV, Host: Back One Out, Theme: Woodwind Instruments, Votes Due: Sunday 10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Im not knocking The Kinks, I was only disagreeing with them being "far superior musically" to the bloody Beatles.
I know they were banned.
I never said it was because of their music quality.
Fair enough. Look, I really like the Beatles, but I just don't hold them in the same regard as The Kinks (or the Stones and Who).
I think if they were recording in the states in the late 60s they would have been far more successful as their sound/lyrics/song subjects would have been more universal.
I ******* love them, dont get me wrong, but I grew up in a commonwealth country being mainlined BBC programming.
The Beatles dripped England at times as well but they had already established themselves.
The Kinks were, I agree, easily the most English sounding of their contemporaries. Even so, their songs reflect everyday situations that could just as easily be American. I think it was the lack of a touring presence more than anything else that hurt them.
I know its a small thing but if Lola had started "I met her inna bar down in New Orleans"...
Maybe. It did reach #9 in the U.S though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever You Am I is nommed I know it's Elton Johns Wig :p They've got some great songs though! I thank you for introducing me to them.

My top 5 Aussie bands are going to be rather different lol... I wasn't sure if you were doing rock bands specifically.
5: Cut Copy
4: Icehouse
3: Dead Letter Circus
2: RÜFÜS DU SOL
1: Karnivool

I've seen all of these bands live EXCEPT for Cut Copy :'( which makes me very sad. However I'll be seeing them next year when they're support act for NEW ORDER oh my stars.

I just had a look at RYM to see the order they would put the albums:

13. Breathe
12. Redneck Wonderland
11. Midnight Oil
=9. Capricornia
=9. Place Without a Postcard
8. Bird Noises
7. Head Injuries
6. Blue Sky Mining
5. Earth and Sun and Moon
=3. Species Deceases
=3. Red Sails in the Sunset
=1. 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
=1. Diesel and Dust

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Whenever You Am I is nommed I know it's Elton Johns Wig :p They've got some great songs though! I thank you for introducing me to them.

My top 5 Aussie bands are going to be rather different lol... I wasn't sure if you were doing rock bands specifically.
5: Cut Copy
4: Icehouse
3: Dead Letter Circus
2: RÜFÜS DU SOL
1: Karnivool

I've seen all of these bands live EXCEPT for Cut Copy :'( which makes me very sad. However I'll be seeing them next year when they're support act for NEW ORDER oh my stars.
I love your 5,4 and 1. All those Billys weren't necessary!!

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
1. The Scientists.
2. Lubricated Brunch.
3. Yothu Yindi.
4. Natalie Imbruglia.
5. 5 Seconds Of Summer.

I always took you as a; - Kind of guy
1. Savage Garden
2. Human Nature
3. Wolfmother