Song Contest Part XVIII, Host: eth-dog, Theme: Worldvision, Votes Due: Sunday 11pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His solo was edited for the MTV video and single release. They chopped out about 30 seconds from the album version.

Apart from Toto, Steve Lukather is best known for playing guitar on three of Michael Jackson's singles from Thriller: The Girl Is Mine, Human Nature and Beat It (the rhythm guitar; not the famous EVH solo!)

I saw a cool interview with him [here] where he talked about being recruited by Quincy Jones to play on 'Thriller' and getting the call from Michael Jackson and hanging up on him 3 times. Next minute, he's there at the session for "The Girl Is Mine" - produced by Quincy & George Martin with MJ, Paul & Linda McCartney, and various seasoned pros. Looking around the room, pinching himself, trying to keep it together and act like he belonged.

Lukather's interest in music was initially sparked by watching The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show when he just was 7 years old. That was the reason he got his first guitar and became a guitar prodigy by the time he was in high school. And there he was, jamming with his hero on an MJ track... He said he could've died and gone to heaven when Paul came up to him afterwards and complimented him on his rhythm guitar part.

Toto's "Rosanna" is another cracking guitar solo from Lukather. Not shredding like on "Running With the Night". Short and sweet, but ridiculously good and every note counts.

--------

My favourite guitar solo from a Lionel Richie song however was by Louie Shelton: the laid-back, jazzy, flamenco-style goodness on "Hello". Shelton was part of the Los Angeles "Wrecking Crew", the faceless collective of players behind thousands of well-known recordings made in the 60's and 70's.

Check out this clip where the legendary session guitarist breaks down his iconic improvised one-take solo...
It blows my mind how some people can create perfection without even thinking. Just channeling something special straight from the heart.

Nice melt. 😁

25 noms, because I'm a competent and technology literate person I have a playlist as well. Not hard folks.

Votes in by 10pm Sunday so I can do the results while I wait for Max's glorious home race win.

25 noms, because I'm a competent and technology literate person I have a playlist as well. Not hard folks.

Votes in by 10pm Sunday so I can do the results while I wait for Max's glorious home race win.

It's called delegating, not incompetence.

It's called delegating, not incompetence.
Usually you delegate a task to make something easier for yourself.

By not making the playlist as you go it's 100% making it more difficult.

Usually you delegate a task to make something easier for yourself.

By not making the playlist as you go it's 100% making it more difficult.

Not for me though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m certain I nommed get up stand up for doughnuts in Wonkas recent contest where he sent you a theme and mine was respect.
Not on the spreadsheet though?
Don’t get me wrong this is just an observation and in no way a criticism the effort that goes into the spreadsheet and updates is nothing short of phenomenal.

I’m certain I nommed get up stand up for doughnuts in Wonkas recent contest where he sent you a theme and mine was respect.
Not on the spreadsheet though?
Don’t get me wrong this is just an observation and in no way a criticism the effort that goes into the spreadsheet and updates is nothing short of phenomenal.
I couldn't see it with a quick search of the forum...

I couldn't see it with a quick search of the forum...
Na it’s not there from what I could see but never mind. I checked I definitely nommed it in that round.

Na it’s not there from what I could see but never mind. I checked I definitely nommed it in that round.
My apologies then Rodders, I don't think I was in that round so it didn't click for me.

My apologies then Rodders, I don't think I was in that round so it didn't click for me.
Apologies? Na none needed I’m not bothered by this stuff I just thought it was very unlike TubbsFarquhar to miss anything. But as pointed out it most likely happened elsewhere.
Tbh I wondered if I was imagining things but it intrigued me enough to check.

Apologies? Na none needed I’m not bothered by this stuff I just thought it was very unlike TubbsFarquhar to miss anything. But as pointed out it most likely happened elsewhere.
Tbh I wondered if I was imagining things but it intrigued me enough to check.
I'm not in charge of the spreadsheet, never have been. I think it's more of a team effort between 3-4 posters.

I may have been the one to fill in that William Wonka round. and I only filled in what Info i was given.
I've given up chasing him for info, typing in out a question for every billy/vote/song/nommer/artist/placing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back