Songs about drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the bit where he says words to the effect of (cbf looking up lyrics):

"I was doing sips of it through my nose
And I wish I could back there, someplace back there
Smiling in the pictures you would take
Crystal meth will lift you up until you break"

Never really listened to the verses at all, really. Just know the chorus from it being absolutely smashed on commercial radio 24/7. I think at the time I was in a very pretentious "I only listen to jazz" stage of life ...

I believe him personally. He didn't care about hiding his drug use, why would he lie about that one?

It wasn't a lie per se. Of course the song was about LSD. I know that. You know that. Lennon knows that, and so did everyone at the time. Lennon just kind of 'pretended' it wasn't, nudge nudge wink wink. Things were more conservative back then. He was having a bit of a lend. A bit like Clinton's "I didn't inhale" trope.

A couple more about Vitamin H

This was on an ad for like Topshop or a mobile phone company UK and became really popular again. People would be singing along and I was like: it is about smack addiction.

It wasn't a lie per se. Of course the song was about LSD. I know that. You know that. Lennon knows that, and so did everyone at the time. Lennon just kind of 'pretended' it wasn't, nudge nudge wink wink. Things were more conservative back then. He was having a bit of a lend. A bit like Clinton's "I didn't inhale" trope.
I totally disagree with you.

Both Lennon (who wrote it) and McCartney have denied this countless times. They never denied anything else. Why just this?

"Paris" from the 1975's new album is great. It's not on YouTube tho

"I got me a friend at last
Well he don't drink or steal or cheat or lie
His name's codeine
He's the nicest thing I've seen
Yah, together we're gonna wait around and die"

From "Waiting Around to Die" by Townes Van Zandt. But somehow the stuff doesn't work, got it from my dentist not long ago and it didn't help at all even when going with an overdose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally disagree with you.

Both Lennon (who wrote it) and McCartney have denied this countless times. They never denied anything else. Why just this?

Well, I guess we only have oral testimony, so perhaps their denials are true. It just seems more plausible to me, given the lyrics, the social experimentation of the time, the interest in Eastern mysticism etc, that maybe, just maybe, they dropped a tab. Also, once a 'narrative' takes hold it can be easier to maintain than to confess its falsity and lose face. On the other hand, Frank Zappa claims not to have been much interested in drugs, and I believe him, so maybe I'm letting a dislike of Lennon get in the way of the truth.

I thought the classic junky rock song about heroin addiction couldn't be done again, but these Brooklyn waster kids have utterly smashed it here.

In this thread, songs about drugs.

(Sorry if thread has already been done, I don't often frequent this board)

I *&%îng love this song. It is on a Spotify playlist I play all the time - I never once bothered to even try and consider what it was about :oops: - just loved the sound of it.

I *&%îng love this song. It is on a Spotify playlist I play all the time - I never once bothered to even try and consider what it was about :oops: - just loved the sound of it.

I was the same, I saw these guys at Laneway completely randomly, had never heard of them before and went for a walk and found myself listening to them.

Got the album and it is absolutely great, but its the kind of tunes that are great as background listening, but when this one would come on I'd always enjoy it.

Then I read an article about the band and it talked about the singers Jurt Cobain obsession and significant drug issues. So I listened a bit closer and was like woah, then read the lyrics for confirmation.

Its about him overdosing after injecting cocaine and heroin at the same time. Such a beautiful kind of light but dynamic tune, about something pretty scary.

Well, I guess we only have oral testimony, so perhaps their denials are true. It just seems more plausible to me, given the lyrics, the social experimentation of the time, the interest in Eastern mysticism etc, that maybe, just maybe, they dropped a tab. Also, once a 'narrative' takes hold it can be easier to maintain than to confess its falsity and lose face. On the other hand, Frank Zappa claims not to have been much interested in drugs, and I believe him, so maybe I'm letting a dislike of Lennon get in the way of the truth.

Keith Richards writes a bit about partying with Lennon in their early years. Says that Lennon was the only Beatle that could have been a Stone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back