Songs that end abruptly

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

and its the best version... by far...

I love Dino J, but never really got into their cover of Just Like Heaven.

I know it’s their aesthetic but Lou Barlow’s screams really sink the song.

Think they probably should have upped the tempo and added some improvisational guitar leads - they’re basically just running through the song as it’s tracked.

I’ve seen a few decent upbeat covers by punk bands. There’s one floating round of AFI covering it and it sounds great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
This one technically leads into another song, but it’s still jarring when it’s play as part of a part of a shuffle:

Listening to a single song from DSOTM, or from The Wall or Animals for that matter, is akin to ripping a chapter out of a book and expecting to be right onto whats going on, in my opinion. That partly contributes to the jarring I think.

Listening to a single song from DSOTM, or from The Wall or Animals for that matter, is akin to ripping a chapter out of a book and expecting to be right onto whats going on, in my opinion. That partly contributes to the jarring I think.
Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is another album like that, the song is amazing on it's own but goes to another level in the context of the whole LP.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I've expressed the opinion a few times, but I've never been a massive DSOTM fan.

So many songs feel like reprise tracks, and although they work well in the context of an album they just aren't particularly interesting. That last 3 or 4 in particular just leaves me feeling cold and wanting more. For what is considered the greatest prog album of it's generation (maybe of all time) it's strikingly short and concise.

Us & Them, Time and Money are all good songs though.

I prefer Animals, WYWH and Meddle (in particular) by a long way.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've expressed the opinion a few times, but I've never been a massive DSOTM fan.

So many songs feel like reprise tracks, and although they work well in the context of an album they just aren't particularly interesting. That last 3 or 4 in particular just leaves me feeling cold and wanting more. For what is considered the greatest prog album of it's generation (maybe of all time) it's strikingly short and concise.

Us & Them, Time and Money are all good songs though.

I prefer Animals, WYWH and Meddle (in particular) by a long way.
Fair enough, love those albums too. Meddle under rated, even by PF standards. Not interested one iota prior to that though to be honest. But thats just me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back