Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

GAS PANIC

All Australian
Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I started this thread to get some other opinions on two songs that I have been listening to for a while now and to me anyway sound a little to in parts to be just a coincidence.

First take for example the famous Guns 'N Roses and their song Paradise City.

[youtube]lf0rIV6j2H4[/youtube]
If you can't get it to work try this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsrD...14FB43D8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

Then take a song by T.Rex called Country Honey released over 10 years before Paradise City.

[youtube]lSU5sNxbzsU[/youtube]

I hear Slash was influenced by Marc Bolan and was a T.Rex fan which also could explain the top hat which reminds me of this picture.

4c968cc9637a475e89ce138d10f3d949

What do you think?

Post some of your own if you have any.

anti.

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
anyone else notice that 'the four horsemen' and 'mechanix' sound eeeeeeeeerily similar?

awaits metal heads...

scooterb

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Baker Street
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raging Nicky Boje Fanatic
Good to see a T-Rex fan. My MSN display picture is the album cover for Electric Warrior as well, great album. :thumbsu:

I found these rip-offs from the Dandy Warhols:
We Used to Be Friends
[YOUTUBE]NgrRRNwj7mU[/YOUTUBE]

Day in Day Out by Feeder:
[YOUTUBE]X443ejuT28I[/YOUTUBE]

------------------------
Bohemian Like You (warning: contains full frontal nudity)
[YOUTUBE]vK5MC8pa_cY[/YOUTUBE]

Little Bitch by The Specials:
[YOUTUBE]YthLQSqXjLo[/YOUTUBE]

ripitup27

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2005
Your Place
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Chapman Express
The old chestnuts like Cochise and Whole Lotta Love come to mind, as well as Lust For Life and Are You Gunna Be My Girl.

Also throw in the intros to Imagine, Don't Look Back In Anger and Look What You've Done.

Interesting to note Jet lists the Beatles and Iggy Pop as major influences.

Still, I'd prefer to hear stuff like that than really bad sampling.
See Lady Sovereignss effort of So Human sampling the Cure's Close to Me. Youtube it, it's bad.

scooterb

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Baker Street
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Led Zeppelin acknowledged Willie Nelson and gave him writing credit. Funnily enough, the Small Faces never got a knock on the door from some lawyers with their song 'You Need Loving'.

I can't believe Vanilla Ice thought he would get away with it. Perhaps he wasn't expecting the popularity?

SunKing

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Duran Duran ripped off Japan bigtime with their sound.This is especially evident in the song "Planet Earth" parts of which sound almost exactly like "Quiet Life"

[youtube]Y-ROH5SqNV0[/youtube]

[youtube]JOmWQuCYufU[/youtube]

DJ Dupree

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dragons, Rovers
There's a song on Marilyn Mansons' album 'Holy Wood' that sounds very similar to Climbing up the Walls by Radiohead. Don't know the title, but the lyrics are 'there was Christ in the metal ship/there was blood on the pavement'.

Interesting because Manson was a major fan of OK Computer.

This is well known.

David Bowie and Queen - Under Pressure

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
Shouldn't be on this thread, Vanilla Ice paid to sample the bassline of Under Pressure.
Completely different to two different bands making two songs that sound the same.
The best example is this one of Jet. I laughed at the part at the end that said I know their is more examples but I do not want to listen to anymore Jet songs.
Putrid band
[YOUTUBE]ktXZeXQrgpo[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
Shouldn't be on this thread, Vanilla Ice paid to sample the bassline of Under Pressure.
Completely different to two different bands making two songs that sound the same.

I partially agree, however Vanilla took his time in acknowledging the source of the sample.

Picture3.png

This is another example of a song being sampled without the proper recognition. I realise that this is not the point of the thread, but anyway.

[YOUTUBE]3Ztzl_VYlX4[/YOUTUBE]

Note: I am not having a go at Daft Punk, I just found this video very interesting.

chickawah

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Ham, Celtics, Jack Collison
Led Zeppelin acknowledged Willie Nelson and gave him writing credit. Funnily enough, the Small Faces never got a knock on the door from some lawyers with their song 'You Need Loving'.

I can't believe Vanilla Ice thought he would get away with it. Perhaps he wasn't expecting the popularity?

Um, unless that's some kind of joke I'm not getting, you mean Willie Dixon.

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
This one goes WAY past "borrowing" a guitar sound or a riff.....

[youtube]fQ8GBTANBk8[/youtube]

[youtube]olHSpJlBpOI[/youtube]

For the record Pretty Things are circa 1965/6 - The Swingers are circa 1980.
The surprising thing is Phil Judd is a proven great songwriter. Why did he do it???

scooterb

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Baker Street
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Um, unless that's some kind of joke I'm not getting, you mean Willie Dixon.
Haha, my mistake.

Confusing my Willie's.

That's bad news about the Swingers. Counting the Beat is one of my favourite songs...it's so good to sing a long to.

Zoski

Debutant
Apr 2, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've always thought a lot of The Living End's stuff sounds very similar.

Oh, and that stupid song that's ripping off Dead or Alive's Right Round

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
cant be arsed getting the video but a part of misfits - helena sounds alot like the long ending to sanatarium - metallica

After every man and his dog had had a go at him about it. He tried to claim it was an original piece first.

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
There's nothing wrong with sampling (as long as the original artist gets a credit), but sneakily stealing a melody or large parts of a song is a different matter.

There is an ad for the Medallion Club currently on TV (I think) that blatantly rips off Beautiful Day by U2 by changing a few notes here and there. U2 have enough money by now, but even so it's pretty low. In turn, Beautiful Day has been accused of stealing a small part of the bridge ("Touch me...") from The Sun Always Shines on TV by A-Ha though that sounds a bit more coincidental.

- There was an ad for Victorian tourism a few years back that stole the piano melody from Coldplay's Clocks.

- Jet's famous steals are "Come Around Again" (Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd) and "Look What You've Done" (Sexy Sady - Beatles).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back