https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/images/forumbackgrounds/bf-moderators.jpg

Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

QuietB

Brownlow Medallist
May 13, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see that the "Heirs of the composer for Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On" are suing Ed Sheran for Thinking Out Loud.

Other than being slow tempo songs with ridiculously simple chord progressions, which incidentally are not even the same key, I do not hear it.

Everyone borrows from what came before them in every field of art, science, business, everything. Unless it is blatant plagiarism (i.e.. Sweet Child intro or something) this is just blatant opportunism by the "Heirs"

The heirs can GAGF'd

Cooldude

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2003
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Unless it's a note for note lift, the only reason people sue other people for "stealing their music" is for money. The question would be where did the suer stole his from

Chord progressions and structures have been the same since the classical times, that's just how music theory works, there's a pattern on pleasant sounding chord progressions and melodies. It's just something people would have to accept

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fossie 32

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne..VICTORY, Leeds
This one just popped up in the Daily Mail today.

Full article here (James Reyne is reluctant to take on might of GNR's legal eagles):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3076247/Did-Guns-N-Roses-base-classic-Sweet-Child-O-Australian-Crawl-song-Australian-band-s-lead-singer-admits-similarities-two-songs-Gunners-listening-Aussie-rock-time.html

Gunners (recorded in 1987):

Possibly lifted from/based on this Aussie Crawl song from their classic 1981 album, Sirocco:
Hah verrry similar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The chorus hook of Liam Gallaghers "for what it's worth" reminds me of the chorus hook on the old song "don't pull your love"

Top Bottom