Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever I listen to Head Like A Hole by Nine Inch Nails, I think that Trent Reznor spent a lot of time listening to Stigmata by Ministry. As far as I can tell, Reznor basically modified the main riff from Stigmata.

Duran Duran/Japan has already been mentioned - I often think that Duran Duran was Japan if Japan placed maximum commercial appeal instead of David Sylvian's artistic vision.

One of the riffs in the middle of The Offspring's Hammerhead is a blatant rip-off of The Kinks' All Day And All Of The Night.

The City of the Dead section in Green Day's Jesus of Suburbia takes cues from Motley Crue's On With the Show.

The bassline in Rick James' Superfreak was appropriated by MC Hammer for his risible hit.

Wolfmother sounded enough like Led Zeppelin that Mike Patton of all people alluded to it.

After every man and his dog had had a go at him about it. He tried to claim it was an original piece first.

Correct. I remember watching the interview when he tried to claim it was an original by him, what a crock. Claimed it was a completely different bassline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thunder by Imagine Dragons & Young, Dumb and Broke by Khalid have very similar sounding titular hooks.
Unbeknownst to me, some substance to this one. Turns out they actually did a medley performance of this live at the 2017 AMAs about a week before I posted this, and then released a Medley studio single in late December.

Reminds me of when I won a naming competition for a cancer ride by choosing "Tour de Cure", and then a while later it turned out the name had already been registered (a few years before it blew up as a Sunrise thing).

Funny when "original ideas" turn out to not be the case. Imagine spending a year writing a novel and then when you go to publish it, someone had published virtually the same thing a few weeks beforehand.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back