Sons and Daughters of the west preseason fitness thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm 126, want to get down to around 90. Diet is my worst enemy. I've been getting stuck into the water as of late and limited my soft drink to one or two cans a day of diet, down from around 1-2L a day.. Joined a gym love weights to death but despise cardio with a passion.

Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm 126, want to get down to around 90. Diet is my worst enemy. I've been getting stuck into the water as of late and limited my soft drink to one or two cans a day of diet, down from around 1-2L a day.. Joined a gym love weights to death but despise cardio with a passion.
You can get your cardio in if you take less time between sets. Keeps the heart rate up. But you're on a good direction anyway mate, keep it up. Try to give up the diet cans too if you can manage it.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can get your cardio in if you take less time between sets. Keeps the heart rate up. But you're on a good direction anyway mate, keep it up. Try to give up the diet cans too if you can manage it.
Baby steps. Can't do cold turkey, so gone from 1.25L of normal a day to one can of diet a day. Next step is one can every few days.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Artist Western Bulldogs - Honeychurch/Austin/Prudden Player Sponsor 2014
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Spent the last 12 Months getting myself right Physically and Mentally.
Lost at my Max 33kg before hitting a hurdle in the last couple of months with some Celebrations that some of you may be aware of
1f3c6.png
and both Achilles are playing up and have bounced up to 115kg which I'm not that fussed about.

Mental health was a real issue for about 4 Years but finally got some help last year, Wasn't always smooth over the last 12 Months but come to the end of this year in the best shape of my life.

Hoping to get back to High School weight of 105kg by the start of the AFL Season and Uni but not holding my breath. But looking forward to getting on with it.

weightloss2.jpg

Easton Thighs

Unqualified Mōderator
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lost at my Max 33kg before hitting a hurdle in the last couple of months with some Celebrations that some of you may be aware of
1f3c6.png
and both Achilles are playing up and have bounced up to 115kg which I'm not that fussed about.

Mental health was a real issue for about 4 Years but finally got some help last year, Wasn't always smooth over the last 12 Months but come to the end of this year in the best shape of my life.

Hoping to get back to High School weight of 105kg by the start of the AFL Season and Uni but not holding my breath. But looking forward to getting on with it.

View attachment 321313
That's terrific mate. :thumbsu: Stay well. Both inside and out. It's good you're seeing the mind doctors.

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's terrific mate. :thumbsu: Stay well. Both inside and out. It's good you're seeing the mind doctors.
Other than watch the flag live, It's the best thing I've ever done. I was one of the ones who got caught up in the "Stigma" of guys being weak by seeking help but it's so stupid not to if you do need it.

Thanks Mate

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1f3c6.png

View attachment 321313
That's pretty quick. What sort of exercise were you doing?

1f3c6.png

View attachment 321313
Well done on all fronts BRG93 :clapping:. Watch your food intake and you'll soon knock off those extra kgs.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was hovering between 90-93kgs

Gave up soft drink completely (found Perrier flavoured water a great substitute), drink less alcohol and pretty much given up bread. I run 2-3 times a week approx for an hour, so around 11kms.

However I can't get my weight below 83kgs. I do drink a 'skinny latte' on a daily basis.

Would love to get under 80kgs.

Great start.

Probably time to introduce weights 3x per week and adjust your diet so you're eating more on lifting days and less on cardio/conditioning (calorie cycling). Try and have a good balance between protein and carbs, with good fats making up no more than 20-25% of your overall intake.

Increasing muscle mass helps metabolise and burn fat, so those 3kg will be torched without too much fuss. Stick to compound lifts like squat, deadlifts, shoulder press (if you have the mobility) and bench initially. The 5x5 program is ideal for starting. Just download the app to track your workouts.

Good luck.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Great start.

Probably time to introduce weights 3x per week and adjust your diet so you're eating more on lifting days and less on cardio/conditioning (calorie cycling). Try and have a good balance between protein and carbs, with good fats making up no more than 20-25% of your overall intake.

Increasing muscle mass helps metabolise and burn fat, so those 3kg will be torched without too much fuss. Stick to compound lifts like squat, deadlifts, shoulder press (if you have the mobility) and bench initially. The 5x5 program is ideal for starting. Just download the app to track your workouts.

Good luck.

No rows or power cleans? That routine is a bit unbalanced. All push no pull apart from the deads which is more hamstring/lower back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No rows or power cleans? That routine is a bit unbalanced. All push no pull apart from the deads which is more hamstring/lower back.

Power cleans for a beginning lifter? I wouldn't.

Deadlifts are all pull and are amazing at activating the kinetic chain. It's an exercise that is proven to help kickstart increased testosterone production and there isn't anything much more practical than lifting some heavy s**t off the ground :D

He could and should definitely add assistance exercises to the core compound lifts, bodyweight options such as pull ups and inverted rows are great.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Power cleans for a beginning lifter? I wouldn't.

Deadlifts are all pull and are amazing at activating the kinetic chain. It's an exercise that is proven to help kickstart increased testosterone production and there isn't anything much more practical than lifting some heavy s**t off the ground :D

He could and should definitely add assistance exercises to the core compound lifts, bodyweight options such as pull ups and inverted rows are great.

Whats ur max dead?

BRG93

The Beacon of BigFooty
Aug 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's pretty quick. What sort of exercise were you doing?
Lots of Walking was logging 4-5km a night after work. Have yet to step in a gym

Plenty of lean meats helped as well. No Soft Drink, Dairy or sugary stuff

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
Personally i've been on a fitness tear for the past 3 months. The hardest part is the diet. I'm not a good cook but I am teaching myself to make the healthy basics. I've recently bought a power cage for home use as well to use with my housemates. Been putting on size and shape.

I'm huge.
if you want any cooking tips hit me up

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I've been cutting down a lot of junk. Eating more regularly and healthy atm. Sugary/soft drink is hard to kick. So I've looked through some suggestions. I think I'll be getting a gym membership in the new year or in Feb to train. Sorry, I'll be one of those annoying newbs. Looking to get into swimming as I heard it's great for your body. Low impact and all. Right now, I'm doing the Insanity routine. I've done the fit test and am into day 3. Body is aching like hell but feeling good.:thumbsu: Well I cheated as I'm doing half a video a day and finishing the day after. But at least I'm getting it done! :p
great start mate, no need to worry about being a newb, we all have to start some where.

your diet is a great starting point, but you can't just start everything at once, i found you just need to take it step by step.

keep up the great work

Easton Thighs

Unqualified Mōderator
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other than watch the flag live, It's the best thing I've ever done. I was one of the ones who got caught up in the "Stigma" of guys being weak by seeking help but it's so stupid not to if you do need it.

Thanks Mate
No worries. Getting fit and exercising must've had a pretty profound effect with its natural release of chemicals. This puts you in a good headspace.

It's a good thing for people who feel the stigma to come out and seek for help with talk of mental health being more accepted in today's world. Glad you got and there and had a chat. Sometimes I see mental health as a little bit like physical health, you take in some unhealthy (negative) for too long and it becomes a bad habit so you need to retrain your brain a certain way of looking and feeling things. Obvious mental health is a lot more complex but that's just one side of it. So in a way I see psychologists as a personal trainer for your brain.

I've read a quote from somewhere that hit me quite a bit: If you live in the past then it becomes depression. Live and worry about the future it becomes anxiety. So live in the present. That's where we are.

The other advice that's worked for me is not to live an internal dialogue. What I'm talking about is too much internal thoughts that you worry and imagine about the future and past problems. If you find yourself doing that, activate your senses like touch, smell, see and hearing to your environment. I do this by hitting my knuckles together for about 15 seconds. So try and live in the present external world.

Lastly, anybody who feels their mentally feeling down should download an app called Smiling Mind. It's a free meditating exercise that helps with mindfulness.

Apologies for sounding hippy and memey. Hope others find it useful. :p

Last edited:

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
As we are getting closer to the end of 2016 (the year that will go down in history as the greatest of mankind) I thought it might me an idea to put down some goals for 2017, we can even use it for the footy season, something like by round 1, or by finals ect.

this will be a great way for everyone to keep motivated, it doesn't have to be weight loss, it can be diet or exercising goals ect anything you want.

for mine 2017 is all about toning up and improving my chest and arms and getting bigger and reducing my body fat %

Easton Thighs

Unqualified Mōderator
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
great start mate, no need to worry about being a newb, we all have to start some where.

your diet is a great starting point, but you can't just start everything at once, i found you just need to take it step by step.

keep up the great work
Yeah right now I'm enjoying doing the basics and try not to overload with information. It's tough work each workout but very rewarding. Even food tastes better after! I think it's because I'm actually earning my feed in a way. :D

Hey murphy2bedabest, do you mind if this thread becomes a general health, fitness, wellbeing and advice thread? Since we've touched on the mental and diet side of things already? Great thread by the way.

Last edited:

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah right now I'm enjoying doing the basics and try not to overload with information. It's tough work each workout but very rewarding. Even food tastes better after! I think it's because I'm actually earning my feed in a way. :D

Hey murphy2bedabest, do you mind if this thread becomes a general health, fitness, wellbeing and advice thread? Since we've touched on the mental and diet side of things already? Great thread by the way.
this is what i was hoping for with this thread, nothing is off topic and is great to just talk about stuff, keep motivated and accountable.

I've been cutting down a lot of junk. Eating more regularly and healthy atm. Sugary/soft drink is hard to kick. So I've looked through some suggestions. I think I'll be getting a gym membership in the new year or in Feb to train. Sorry, I'll be one of those annoying newbs. Looking to get into swimming as I heard it's great for your body. Low impact and all. Right now, I'm doing the Insanity routine. I've done the fit test and am into day 3. Body is aching like hell but feeling good.:thumbsu: Well I cheated as I'm doing half a video a day and finishing the day after. But at least I'm getting it done! :p

Fantastic, keep up the good work.

Never been big on the soft drinks but gave up alcohol six years ago and found by substituting mineral water with a few drops of low cal cordial I didn't feel out of place at functions, helped me drop a few kilos and dramatically improved my health both physical and mentally.

I've always been active and played Basketball for 20 years and a runner for 30 years. Consequently knees are stuffed (4 meniscus ops, 2 on each knee) and took up cycling about 7 years ago... totally hooked and changed my life. Started riding an old mountain bike 20 kms twice a week and slowly extended the rides, after 3 months first commute to work, 35 kms each way, could only do this once a week and then two 20km rides on the weekend.

Bought a new road bike after six months, three months later did my first 100km ride. After two years riding approx. doing 13,000km per year. I have never felt healthier and fitter, no medications, very good diet, no alcohol in six years, and gym twice a week.

Start slowly and build up, look at exercise and your diet together and most importantly get to understand your body and what works best for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back