FTA-TV Sons of Anarchy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
Anyone seen any episodes of this? Came across it on eztv a couple of weeks back, but haven't found time to check out the pilot yet.

Apparently about the inner workings of a bikie gang and created by a producer/writer from The Shield.

All of what I've read seems very positive and implies it's pretty hardcore.

Its great, a lot of movies have failed at depicting the real world of 1% Motorcycle clubs, the producers have done their homework on this though.

It's like the sopranos but with Outlaw Mc's insted. The show is loosely based on a true story and the book 'Out in bad standings'. Season 1 just finished airing in the states, season 2 is in production now.

Also If you like this a new Mel Gibson film is in production called 'Alone and Under' another true story based on the William Queen Book, about an undercover officer who infiltrated the Mongols MC.

The reviews that I've seen have been all good. The guy who developed it used to work on The Shield so there's some pedigree.

I'm upto episode 5. Bloody great show. I've always been interested in bikie gangs so this was a very pleasent surprise when I found it.

I like how the main dude has the biggest wigger swagger in history.

Also If you like this a new Mel Gibson film is in production called 'Alone and Under' another true story based on the William Queen Book, about an undercover officer who infiltrated the Mongols MC.

Yeah seen a episode on Discovery Channel about this bloke, had to forego his family etc for about 3 years or so. He became so heavily involved into the Brotherhood he didn't know if he wanted to grass them up in the end.

On the subject on "SOA" I have watched one episode so far and will watch the 2nd tomorrow, pretty good cast with Hellboy and Peg Bundy :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally caught up to current eps. It's funny, around ep 6-7 of the first season I was thinking "Henry Rollins would be a great fit for this show" and lo and behold here he is. Although I was more thinking he would be better suited to a biker but his white supremecist character suits him as well.
Loving it so far.

I'm a bit behind the times. I'm only up to Season 4 of The Wire, I have Deadwood lined up after that, I'm getting Generation Kill and the box set of The Shield around Christmas, but I'm always looking for a new show to take an interest in, and Sons of Anarchy just might be it.

Without giving too much away, could someone very briefly summarise the pilot and season 1, you know, to pique my interest?

Watch The Shield, then replace the strike team with a bikie gang and thats what Sons is.

But an ultra short description, Sons of Anarchy are a biker gang in a small town who control & protect the town. It is the Shield approach of good guys who are actually bad guys doing bad things which are actually good things.

The Shield is the best show I have ever seen and everyone I know who has watched it agrees, Sons is being done by the same crew so the shows have a lot of awesome parallels despite being very different.

Edit: I should add most of the Sons stories are about rival gangs and vigilante justice and family.

Also of note is the Hamlet influence. Jax being Hamlet, his dads book being his dads 'ghost' that he can communicate with and Clay and Gemma based on the Uncle/King and Queen.

Yep, and there's also clearly a Lady MacBeth influence on Gemma. I think they're probably getting away from that influence in S2 though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back