Yeah its a blurry line free speech in Aus, it applies sometimes and not others.Perhaps you’re right. It was never really free speech. The thought police are definitely more strict these days though.
Here is our version of the free speech and expression act.
General Comment 34 emphasises that freedom of expression and opinion are the foundation stone for a free and democratic society and a necessary condition for the promotion and protection of human rights. This General Comment addresses in detail:
- freedom of opinion
- freedom of expression
- freedom of expression and the media
- the right to access to information
- the importance of freedom of expression in a democratic society
- the application of Article 19.3 on permissible limitations on freedom of information and expression
- the scope for limitations on freedom of expression in certain areas
- the relationship between articles 19 and 20.