Sorry Jeremy

**** umpiring decision in a loss = “that wasn’t the reason you lost, look at reasons x, y and z, you’re only bringing it up because you’re a sore loser etc.”

**** umpiring decision in a win = “it didn’t cost us the game so don’t worry about it”.

Do tell when is the appropriate time to discuss the officiating of the game...

They're not cheating. It's a bloody hard game to officiate. Just treat umpiring like the bounce of the ball. Sometimes you get the advantage. Sometimes the other side does. It'll make you a whole lot happier and less angry.

the Howe decision was annoying but was correct, if it was a Demons player doing that to our one of our players we would be saying it was a free as well
Nope... no I wouldn’t. Not at all.

The umpire got this one wrong plain and simple. Even under the new rules. The rule is...

Jeremy's action wasn't likely to cause injury and therefore shouldn't have been a free kick.
Wounded pride? I doubt having a hanger taken on you by Jeremy Howe is even a cause for embarrassment in this day and age. It’s far from being an exclusive club.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
AFL over reaction once again. It was a super and fair mark, ridiculous. The AFL are wrong....
Did the AFL get it wrong, or was it just that one umpire? I don't see it as an "over reaction" to tweak the rules to stop Toby Greene (or anyone else) basically kicking opponents while taking marks. I'd say it was something they had to act on. No doubt we'll hear a lot more on that decision over the next few days, but I certainly hope (and expect) the AFL will admit the umpire got that one wrong.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Did the AFL get it wrong, or was it just that one umpire? I don't see it as an "over reaction" to tweak the rules to stop Toby Greene basically kicking opponents while taking marks. I'd say it was something they had to act on. No doubt we'll hear a lot more on that decision over the next few days, but I certainly hope (and expect) the AFL will admit the umpire got that one wrong.
I've had this discussion a month ago in another thread. This is not the first time the decision made by the umpire has happened. Other umps have made the same decision previously this year.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
I've had this discussion a month ago in another thread. This is not the first time the decision made by the umpire has happened. Other umps have made the same decision previously this year.
Interesting! I haven't seen (or heard about) any other cases of this type of incident (where a free kick was paid) occurring this year.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Interesting! I haven't seen (or heard about) any other cases of this type of incident (where a free kick was paid) occurring this year.
I think this is the third time I've seen the decision. One was a GWS game at the start of the season. There other off the top of my head has vanished, but as I said it was discussed a month ago after a game so I assume something happened in that game.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL has been long time anti Collingwood, it’s nothing short of racism.
Somebody is racist. Not sure the AFL is that way inclined.

They just can’t stand Collingwood.

You did indeed. You were concerned about the studs up rule and put up a photo similar to Howe's mark and I condescendingly assured you that it was just umpire error and not the mew rule. ..

I think this is the third time I've seen the decision. One was a GWS game at the start of the season. There other off the top of my head has vanished, but as I said it was discussed a month ago after a game so I assume something happened in that game.
The conversation began after the Brisbane game where Aish was knocked out with a knee to the head. I don't think you referred to a second example, however, I saw one a couple of weeks ago where the commentators described a similar one as an unrealistic attempt, but the bloke got a fair chunk of the ball. I'm pretty sure the umpire paid studs up.
We should get a response from the AFL soon but has anyone seen one of these marks paid?

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
The conversation began after the Brisbane game where Aish was knocked out with a knee to the head. I don't think you referred to a second example, however, I saw one a couple of weeks ago where the commentators described a similar one as an unrealistic attempt, but the bloke got a fair chunk of the ball. I'm pretty sure the umpire paid studs up.
We should get a response from the AFL soon but has anyone seen one of these marks paid?
Yes, Howe's mark has been the most obvious so far. Can't wait for the AFLs response.

Your right, Ash getting a knee to the head was what triggered the discussion.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Yes, Howe's mark has been the most obvious so far. Can't wait for the AFLs response.

Your right, Ash getting a knee to the head was what triggered the discussion.
It's only the second time I've seen the decision made by the umpire to-date. The first was a GWS game, not as special as Howe's mark today. I don't think the player even marked the ball.

grayza2018

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2017
The Cottage
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
That was a Barry Crocker in a year of Barry's greatest hits. The umpiring standard has been mostly poor poor poor all year, across the board

And that is thanks to the rule makers making it nigh on impossible for the umpiring group to form any sort of consistency

donkeyballs

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely if both feet are in the air it’s a mark. Greene was taking the piss and generally still had one foot planted on the ground when fending with the other.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
That free was 1,000 x more justifiable than the Howe free.

Nah. It was a wrong decision. We were lucky that a couple of those Melbourne frees inside their F50 didn't hurt us more.

I dont mind an umpire making a mistake. What will bother me is the AFL come out tomorrow and endorse the decision. If they came out and said they made the wrong call i would have so much more respect

Shows what Morons run the Game.

Just make it Touch Footy

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I'm going to be in the minority but I don't have a problem with the decision.

You can't push a player in the back, so I don't see why it should be allowed to put your boot into a person's back and push him with your foot.

I understand historically that we have turned a blind eye to the rules when it comes to taking spekkies. Basically, it is anything goes as long as the player takes the mark. If they don't get a hand on it, then it's a free kick.

But if we are going to apply the rules in a uniform manner, then I don't think you can go up with your boots and kick a person in the back to take a mark.

I don't mind the rule that if studs are up, then it is a free kick.

Just my take on it.

What got me more upset on the day was the amount of pushes in the back that Melbourne players were doing on our players that weren't paid. Brodie Grundy got pushed a few times, as did our defenders. Up the other end, Cox couldn't buy a free kick. If Jeremy Howe is going to get paid for studs up, then I want all the pushes in the back paid as well.

it's the inconsistency which is frustrating, not the rule itself.

I'm going to be in the minority but I don't have a problem with the decision.

You can't push a player in the back, so I don't see why it should be allowed to put your boot into a person's back and push him with your foot.

I understand historically that we have turned a blind eye to the rules when it comes to taking spekkies. Basically, it is anything goes as long as the player takes the mark. If they don't get a hand on it, then it's a free kick.

But if we are going to apply the rules in a uniform manner, then I don't think you can go up with your boots and kick a person in the back to take a mark.

I don't mind the rule that if studs are up, then it is a free kick.

Just my take on it.

What got me more upset on the day was the amount of pushes in the back that Melbourne players were doing on our players that weren't paid. Brodie Grundy got pushed a few times, as did our defenders. Up the other end, Cox couldn't buy a free kick. If Jeremy Howe is going to get paid for studs up, then I want all the pushes in the back paid as well.

it's the inconsistency which is frustrating, not the rule itself.

If that reasoning is to be applied uniformly, then knees in the back in the cause of a high mark will also result in an infringement. The high mark ('speccie') would indeed be dead.

What will bother me is the AFL come out tomorrow and endorse the decision
Aside from goal reviews when has the AFL done anything but come out and support the ump? No, surprise they’ve once again came out and ticked it off.

The real weight of where they stand will be what’s paid and what’s not paid over the coming weeks.

That there’s already talk of rule changes next year, is also a truer indication.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If that reasoning is to be applied uniformly, then knees in the back in the cause of a high mark will also result in an infringement. The high mark ('speccie') would indeed be dead.

Exactly. Or contact with a hip or chest into the back of the player in front. What about sitting on someone's shoulder, isn't that high contact?

The AFL has a history of implementing new rules or interpretations which continually have unintended consequences. It wasn't that long ago that the in the back rule was changed (Clement continually spanking Hird if I remember correctly) and we've now seen it revert back to pretty much what it always was because all the changes did was unleash major confusion among players, supporters, and officials.

Howe's only issue was that McDonald judged the flight of the footy so poorly that Howe had to reach further forward for the ride than he should have needed to. They've actually rewarded McDonald's poor application.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, the umpire made a bad mistake. I've already said that. People have been complaining about umpiring for the last 150+ years, and it's very likely they'll still be doing it 150 years from now! If that is deemed to have been a bad enough error the umpire will most likely get dropped.

All I meant in pointing out that the Howe decision didn't cost us the game was that it really wasn't worth getting terribly worked up over it. Umpires do make mistakes, sometimes lots of them, but we've had a fantastic win and I will be enjoying the rest of the day/week without worrying about one decision.
Agree they’ve always complained about umpires.

Especially Dick Condon the great one.

And they’ll complain about umpires for hundreds of years more.

But they won’t boo anymore, they won’t call out mean nom de plumes, they will (under AFL orders) simply make a slight grimace and drink their over priced Chardonnay.

No more yelling allowed.

Back