SOS on 3AW last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucky Star

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2003
APW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure if anyone else heard but SOS was on 3AW last night talking about his new role with the Bulldogs. Didn't get to hear the whole thing but one thing he did say was that some members of the coaching staff were keen to turn Dale Morris into a midfielder.

Feel free to disregard or discuss at your leisure.

Lucky Star said:
Not sure if anyone else heard but SOS was on 3AW last night talking about his new role with the Bulldogs. Didn't get to hear the whole thing but one thing he did say was that some members of the coaching staff were keen to turn Dale Morris into a midfielder.

Feel free to disregard or discuss at your leisure.

Dale Morris the new Daniel Cross!

First, purely shut down role

Then, run with role.....

Finally ball magnet!

Brett Kirk started as a tagger. He has come a long way since then and his disposal skills aren't great but he tackles and works hard just like Morris.
I think Morris could pinch hit in the middle.

Doesn't have the same ball winnings attributes that Cross does.Morris is more a drawer of contests.He will often get taken to the contest and then just through pure desperation get front position or slide an arm in and force a ball up or another contest.Yes Cross started as a defensive midfielder but he was always a natural ball winner to go with that.Morris would be more your athletic stopping midfielder.His pace is something we haven't really had in any of our stoppers which is why he will find himself in the midfield at times on guys like Ackermanis as happened in round 7.

SOS, Son of Serge, has a very Carlton feel about it. I'll refer to him by his first name or his surname, prefixed by "Mr" if he does a good job, until and unless a less Carlton name attaches to him. Let me play nomenclator and propose a nickname that describes his playing style, Octopus.

Morris is versatile. Good player to have. In a way, it'd be great to have 2 of him. One to tag the midfield stars, and one to keep quiet the half forward stars.

I think though, that he should always start on the oppositions best medium/small sized forward. Then, if a star midfielder like McLeod, Akermanis etc. are getting the better of us, swing Morris onto 'em.

All depends on the situation, but I prefer having him as the tight, lockdown backmen type. He plays that role superbly. But as I said - depending on the situation, if we're getting killed by one particular player, I'd definitely swing Morris onto them.

Morris must be feeling as though he's living a dream. Honestly, hes come from no where, and all of a sudden the Footy Fans across Australia know him AND he plays an important role in a very talented outfit. Must be an incredible feeling. :thumbsu:

SCRAY72 said:
Brett Kirk started as a tagger. He has come a long way since then and his disposal skills aren't great but he tackles and works hard just like Morris.
I think Morris could pinch hit in the middle.

I tend to agree.He has a long way to go to move into the midfield but as you say he might be able to pinch hit there.

starz said:
Not too sure about playing in the midfield :confused:
That's the role Dale did at Werribee. Started in the backline and moved up field. Did a lot of work on the wing plus in the centre playing tagger and clearer. Recall Simon Atkins recently talking about it and how he saw this as Dale's next role.

I don’t see the problem with Morris continuing on as a tagger. It’d be great to have a guy who can be counted on the take on the best players and nullify their influence. Thin McLeod, think Cousins… these guys that Dale stitched up in his first year of AFL.

A quality tagger is part of the formula for success IMO. I think we’ve found a great stopper… let’s keep him stopping.

He doesn't seem to have the skills or decision making prowess required to be a gun midfielder, but if we can find another lock-down backman, then he could be very handy as a midfield tagger. Explosive players like Judd and Aker always kill us and having a disciplined player who can nullify them in the middle would be terrific.

The great thing about Morris is that he has enough height to take tall forwards as well (probably not Barry Hall/Treadrea types, but O'laughlin, Fev, and Hansen types who rely mostly on leading rather than wrestling) so I expect him to play many defensive roles over his career.

he could be a tagger for sure,
disposal bothers me as well. He still get's a little unsure sometimes but is getting better all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anja_Nees said:
He doesn't seem to have the skills or decision making prowess required to be a gun midfielder, but if we can find another lock-down backman, then he could be very handy as a midfield tagger. Explosive players like Judd and Aker always kill us and having a disciplined player who can nullify them in the middle would be terrific.

The great thing about Morris is that he has enough height to take tall forwards as well (probably not Barry Hall/Treadrea types, but O'laughlin, Fev, and Hansen types who rely mostly on leading rather than wrestling) so I expect him to play many defensive roles over his career.
Pretty much how I see it.I dont think we should try to hard to make him into anything other than a lock down player at this stage.We finally have someone who can lock down small forwards as well as the oppositions taller and quicker midfielders and I dont want to lose that.We have been looking for a guy like Morris since the Wallace days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back