Opinion SOS to Carlton- should we be worried?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So this is something that came up in another thread but I think it deserves it's own

SOS would have been involved with every player and player manager... Knowing the things making players hesitate on resigning, their wants and their priorities

I think it's naive to think he wouldn't make use of this insider knowledge in his new role

How much of an issue/threat do we think this is?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
And Neil Balm is going to Collingwood. Should Geelong be worried?
And Darius Boyd followed Wayne Bennett through 4 clubs.

people move between clubs all the time. Not many of them go out of their way to screw over their old club.

Is SOS that much of a pr*ck?

Wouldn't have thought so.

Do you think Carlton can match contract terms with GWS in 2016? I don't.
Even assuming that the quality of players on each list is the same and that those players are paid what they are worth comparable to the same standard of player on each list, you've still got more to spend.

Silvani hasn't even got the depth of junior talent to offer in trade there.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Its not about him "screwing us over" its about him doing his job at his new club to the best of his ablility. And with so much of his current knowledge about GWS players i think its silly to say he wouldn't try to attract the talent GWS has to his talent starved club.

The whole brisbane argument doesn't fly for me... at the time we were a bottom club getting thrashed with no facilities of fan base.... thats only just now changing making us a potential destination club

van peebles

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
No problem with SOS leaving.
He was the "list builder" and his initial job completed,rather fairly i would say.
The next phase of our list,is completely different to the first build,it will be a ongoing list management job.So no problems for me.

rodney hoo

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think sos will do the gentlemenly thing, but he would know contract amounts and maybe how far he could push the limit on a player where Giants maybe cannot match due to salary cap etc.
The other thing he takes with him is the knowledge of the next generation of players, and unless he is replaced by someone as knowledgeable there're could be a lul.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
This type of thing happens every season across the league.
Looking at it, I reckon he had quite an easy role to be honest with so many choice players at his disposal.
Is he really the genius who we will credit with our first flag, hopefully in the very near future?
I wouldn't think so, but I'm an outsider, so I'm guessing.
SOS also comes across as a decent sort, so I reckon he will use inside knowledge to help his new/old club, but his honour or whatever you want to call it, will prevent him from going out of his way to screw us.
A likely scenario in my opinion is that he will find a diamond in our rough who is being overlooked for a game and give him the opportunity that he won't get at our ever strengthening club.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
I thought gubby took care of a lot of contract work. I do rate silvagni as he had the nous to select Haynes over longer. Which everyone was against. Also smith was an inspired selection. I think o'rourke was wrecked by injury but mustve said the right thing in interviews. Let's also mention treloar, Cameron, shiel etc. add Kennedy to the mix and he did his role to a T.

But I don't think players will break away from the gws family because a list manager left. It's like me leaving my job cuz the parts guy moved to another workshop.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
Just wanted to come here and get your thoughts on your recruiting/list management. Obviously with carlton taking SOS there will be scruitiny on how he performs at carlton.

But i just wanted to say i think he did an amazing job, yes you had all these high draft picks but going over them, it looks like you have consistently nailed each of those. Your 17 year olds dont need any debate, and the players youve picked up in the draft all appear to be great AFL players, who are blossoming much earlier than expected, and showing they can become A grade. One example is Cam McCarthy pick 13 or so and was said to be speculative, hes come leaps and bounds and is perfoming as a key forward within 2 years.

Reckon SOS has done a great job

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
Just wanted to come here and get your thoughts on your recruiting/list management. Obviously with carlton taking SOS there will be scruitiny on how he performs at carlton.

But i just wanted to say i think he did an amazing job, yes you had all these high draft picks but going over them, it looks like you have consistently nailed each of those. Your 17 year olds dont need any debate, and the players youve picked up in the draft all appear to be great AFL players, who are blossoming much earlier than expected, and showing they can become A grade. One example is Cam McCarthy pick 13 or so and was said to be speculative, hes come leaps and bounds and is perfoming as a key forward within 2 years.

SOS and Gubby have done a great job. The even depth across the list is a good indicator of this.

van peebles

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

You do realise SOS had a clean slate to work with.
Your club will have to spend 5 years rearranging the list and hanging onto some average players while this list rebuild is going.
It will many games watching some below average players until it will all fall into place.
The job SOS{with whatever concessions}did here was a 10 year list management scheme.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
You do realise SOS had a clean slate to work with.
Your club will have to spend 5 years rearranging the list and hanging onto some average players while this list rebuild is going.
It will many games watching some below average players until it will all fall into place.
The job SOS{with whatever concessions}did here was a 10 year list management scheme.
I completely understand that, i just wanted to point out that despite everyone saying you guys had draft concessions, i think SOS did an amazing job as is evident by the players you selected and the shape of your list.

Back