List Mgmt. SOS's Trade History

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure it was 2 first rounders - 10 and 16. Remember, SOS wanted 2 first rounders and he got them, with Gibbs and a second going back.

10 went on LOB, 16 was traded for 2 second round picks which were used for M Kennedy and TDK.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Correct, however, the 2nd going back was virtually close to pick 16 we gave you the previous year in a weaker draft but we did get very lucky as you guys finished last and there was only 1 FA compensation that affected this pick.

Last edited:
Yep the one who is just starting to find his feet in the system and having an impact at the level.... and has shown more promise/talent as a small forward than anything we have had this season including the guy we recruited that is 8-9 years older...
And on 3-4times the money for less output!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Lol. They were literally leftover from the Gibbs trade the year before.

Only one of the second round draft picks we used for the McGovern trade in 2018 was from the Gibbs’ trade a year earlier. The other 2nd round pick in 2018 had nothing to do with the gibbs’ trade. We used most of what we got from from the gibbs’ trade in 2017 to get O’Brien, Kennedy and TDK.

But that really isn’t what Agro is saying anyway - we used 2 second round picks to get sydney’s first for McGovern and doesn’t matter where we got them from, a 2nd round pick can get you a very good footballer, particularly in the 2018 draft. Another way of looking at it is that we could’ve kept the first rounder we got from Sydney and use it in the draft. 2018 was a gun draft year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Not quite. We also got the Bulldogs 2018 second rounder out of that trade (for pick 16 and 40). That pick was parceled up with the Crows 2018 second rounder received in the original Gibbs trade and McAdam, which landed McGovern and the future third rounder that was ultimately used to get Marc Pittonet (pick 48 traded to Swans for picks 54 and 67 which was traded to the Hawks for Pitt).

McGovern was acquired largely with crumbs from the Gibbs trade.

But but but..........We overpaid and stuff......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dow - Bust
O'Brien - Bust
SPS - Bust
Kennedy - Bust
McGovern - Bust
Stocker - Bust

Imagine the gun A grade midfielder we could have got instead of wasting picks on the above. E.g. Look at Lachie Neale for Brisbane.

Get some air maybe.....some sun too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one of the second round draft picks we used for the McGovern trade in 2018 was from the Gibbs’ trade a year earlier. The other 2nd round pick in 2018 had nothing to do with the gibbs’ trade. We used most of what we got from from the gibbs’ trade in 2017 to get O’Brien, Kennedy and TDK.

But that really isn’t what Agro is saying anyway - we used 2 second round picks to get sydney’s first for McGovern and doesn’t matter where we got them from, a 2nd round pick can get you a very good footballer, particularly in the 2018 draft. Another way of looking at it is that we could’ve kept the first rounder we got from Sydney and use it in the draft. 2018 was a gun draft year.

We never got a 1st rounder from Sydney.
Adelaide used both the 2nds we traded and their own #40 to get that pick.

Also, both the 2nd round picks we used for McGovern was from the Gibbs trade, 1 was the Crows' own, the other from the Dogs that we got when we traded the 2nd 1st.

In essence, across 2 years we traded Gibbs and future 3rd for #10 (O'Brien) and McGovern.

We never got a 1st rounder from Sydney.
Adelaide used both the 2nds we traded and their own #40 to get that pick.

Also, both the 2nd round picks we used for McGovern was from the Gibbs trade, 1 was the Crows' own, the other from the Dogs that we got when we traded the 2nd 1st.

In essence, across 2 years we traded Gibbs and future 3rd for #10 (O'Brien) and McGovern.

Think we’re going to have to agree to disagree stanman.

We traded pick 16 we got from Adelaide as part of the Gibbs trade (we spent 10 on LOB). We traded 16 to doggies for their 28 and 30. 28 we gave to gws for Kennedy, pick 30 we used on TDK. Kennedy and TDK came to the club in 2017, when we traded out Gibbs.

As part of that 2017 trade, we also got a future second (2018), which was used as part of the McGovern trade in 2018.

It’s all in the AFL trade tracker from 2017.

Think we’re going to have to agree to disagree stanman.

We traded pick 16 we got from Adelaide as part of the Gibbs trade (we spent 10 on LOB). We traded 16 to doggies for their 28 and 30. 28 we gave to gws for Kennedy, pick 30 we used on TDK. Kennedy and TDK came to the club in 2017, when we traded out Gibbs.

As part of that 2017 trade, we also got a future second (2018), which was used as part of the McGovern trade in 2018.

It’s all in the AFL trade tracker from 2017.

You're missing the part of the Gibbs trade were we traded our future 2nd and 3rd, and received Adelaide's future 2nd (which we traded back to them for McGovern).

So in terms of what we gave up, it was that future (higher 2nd) and #40 for Kennedy and TDK (#28 and #30).

We’ll be in a good position in the next 2 years to assess SOS’ 5 year tenure. By then, the kids he drafted work have been in the system for a few years and the players he traded in will have either been retained or delisted.

We’ll be in a good position in the next 2 years to assess SOS’ 5 year tenure. By then, the kids he drafted work have been in the system for a few years and the players he traded in will have either been retained or delisted.

I agree that it may take a little while to fully assess the strength of our list and don't think we know as a club yet where we are at. If we go backwards after our older players leave we could be in for some pain. We really need the younger players to be pushing these guys out. So hard to do with only scratch matches to prove your worth.

I think drafting is more complex to assess. If a player doesnt come on especially a top 10 draft pick is that the fault of SOS? or development or that our game style has changed so that player is no longer optimal in the Teague system whereas they might have been in the Bolton system? Alternatively they have been injured and haven't been able to get on the park despite having no history of similar injuries.

LOB was the best kick in his draft, I would hazard a guess that he hasn't lost that skill. Last week he looked like he wasn't fit enough to play, I don't think that is a drafting issue unless of course he lacks the desire to get fit.

My main problem with SOS was his tendency to trade in good players cheap as their history suggested they weren't durable. Mostly that durability hasn't improved after our recruiting though Setterfield seems to exception to this rule.

Not helped by taking players into matches who aren't ready who then reinjure the same injury a pattern that I hope would improve Jack Russell but doesn't appear to be. Very confused by the Dow selection given the knee issue, why didn't we put him on ice (especially as we are already in mid-september) and give him a fresh run next year instead he'll likely have shortened preseason and not be able to hit the ground running.

Incorrect. Additional to the 2 x 2017 second rounders received from the Bulldogs (Kennedy and TDK), we also received a 2018 second rounder. It was this 2018 second rounder that was packaged up with the one we got directly from Adelaide in the Gibbs trade and handed over for McGovern.

I suggest you go back and track the trading history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dow - Bust
O'Brien - Bust
SPS - Bust
Kennedy - Bust
McGovern - Bust
Stocker - Bust

Imagine the gun A grade midfielder we could have got instead of wasting picks on the above. E.g. Look at Lachie Neale for Brisbane.
The only person I’m ruling out is Kennedy who seems to be a depth player.
Mcgovern could go either way. Next year is telling.

The only person I’m ruling out is Kennedy who seems to be a depth player.
Mcgovern could go either way. Next year is telling.

I would propose that Kennedy, in his few games, has performed better than any we've seen at the top level on that list.

There are a few players I'd prefer to move on before him.

I would propose that Kennedy, in his few games, has performed better than any we've seen at the top level on that list.

This is true but he has limitations. Not quick prone to bombing the ball. Can mark and kick goals. I have a feeling the hawks will want him

Dow - Bust
O'Brien - Bust
SPS - Bust
Kennedy - Bust
McGovern - Bust
Stocker - Bust

On current and historical form, correct call. Hopefully the coaches can do another weitering, play them in their natural positions and turn it around. The talent is there.

This is true but he has limitations. Not quick prone to bombing the ball. Can mark and kick goals. I have a feeling the hawks will want him

Pretty disapointing considering how well he played around mid-season. Still needs a year to get his body right and he can become a solid contributor.

Kennedy was a HFF/mid rotation at GWS.

We were so bereft of mids when he was recruited - he was to play more mid than HFF. Then he got injured and was very badly managed by the Bolton era of 'learning to endure'...

Now? he is everyone's NQR player- because the same people who bag him - don't see he is one of the best contested marks and most accurate kicks for goal we've got. I'd play ahead of McGovern/Cuningham/Murphy every day of the week - but apparently he has not enough leg speed and pattern running smarts apparently.

He is probably going to be delisted this year - which will be a shame but there you go.

Kennedy was a HFF/mid rotation at GWS.

We were so bereft of mids when he was recruited - he was to play more mid than HFF. Then he got injured and was very badly managed by the Bolton era of 'learning to endure'...

Now? he is everyone's NQR player- because the same people who bag him - don't see he is one of the best contested marks and most accurate kicks for goal we've got. I'd play ahead of McGovern/Cuningham/Murphy every day of the week - but apparently he has not enough leg speed and pattern running smarts apparently.

He is probably going to be delisted this year - which will be a shame but there you go.
Surely won’t be delisted. Is a very good depth player

Surely won’t be delisted. Is a very good depth player

Even if that were true, wouldn't it be better for us to hold the depth player we know than take a chance on the depth player his trade value warranted?

We've recruited countless depth players over the last 5 years most are not now playing in the AFL and, I'm guessing we're going to add Lang to that list.

Kennedy is far better than that IMO.

Even if that were true, wouldn't it be better for us to hold the depth player we know than take a chance on the depth player his trade value warranted?

We've recruited countless depth players over the last 5 years most are not now playing in the AFL and, I'm guessing we're going to add Lang to that list.

Kennedy is far better than that IMO.
I hope i Am wrong and you are right

Interesting story in today’s press. Kevin Sheedy tells the story about the draft where SOS refused to accept the firm recommendation of Sheedy and his then assistant, Mark Williams, to select Brody Grundy for GWS. Sheedy says that SOS got it wrong.
Its now clear that SOS got the Dow, O’Brien and Stocker selections wrong.
Three Grammar school boys who, for different reasons, are too soft and aren’t up to it.
But at least Dow and O’Brian have stayed the course.Stocker, who is from a wealthy family, has spat the dummy and returned to Melbourne. I don’t think that Liam is used to having to work hard to get something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back