Soundwave 2013 - Metallica to headline

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually like that idea. I didn't see Cypress Hill on Friday due to clashes but wanted to. And One Day As A Lion was freaking awesome in 2011.

Quick rundown of my Friday:
- Versus The World weren't great. Probably because it was 11:30am.
- Missed Anthrax lining up for a shirt. No big deal. They were an accessory band for me.
- DragonForce were great. Only knew a couple of their songs but they really put on a show.
- Motion City Soundtrack were a big improvement on when I saw them in 2010. Probably helped that their last two albums have been a lot more mature than their previous work.
- Thought I was doing alright for time heading over to Sum 41 and thought I might have been able to get into the pit. Nek minnut an enormous crowd appears. The crowd were filthy as well. Too many people trying to start pit circles (I hate them) and get in fights. Kind of ruined the band I was most looking forward too. Didn't help that the stage was up the hill and I was looking into the sun.
- Then straight into another huge crowd for Blink-182. I was in another postcode from the stage. So much so I saw that girl get impaled on the fence and could still see the gig act out of my peripherals. :) So many people there. Only had moderate expectations and they were met. Played all the good songs so can't complain.
- Then the surprise highlight of the day; Linkin Park. I thought they were going to be very average but they were by far the best act of the day. Teenage memories relived!
- Made my way over to Paramore after that. Came prepared for the massive crowds and looking uphill by staying back a bit. Not as good as 2010 but still a damn good show.
- Last but not least The Offspring. Satisfied with it but not blown away. Any other festival and they probably would have been on the main stage.

Overall probably behind 2010 for me but still a really good day. Not too many issues with the venue change except for the trees in the way and the ridiculous crowds for the headline acts on the main stage because they gave them so much more room than at the showgrounds. I'd expect it to be back at the showgrounds next year provided they don't pull something incredible out of their ass again.

Only a few bands I want to see in the future; Rise Against (amazed they haven't been billed before this), Alter Bridge (didn't go to the 2012 festival) and Green Day (because I have no idea what other headliners they could possibly get). Apart from those I'd probably be buying next year so I can see acts I've already seen again.

Saw Chunk No Captain Chunk first because the 11 am shows were't anything that interested me and they did a great job got everyone going for an early gig. Rest of the day i saw MMF, Northlane, MMI, Periphery, Of Mice and Men, Bullet, Ghost, SWS, BMTH and Amity if i remember correctly. Of Mice and Men and BMTH were my favourites in terms of quality and how they got the crowd going was really awesome! Never heard Ghost before and saw them while waiting for the next gig and i didn't expect to see fully robed, masked band members and a death cardinal for a lead singer but it was pretty funny/entertaining! Also walked away with some brutal sunburn from yesterday!

We doing who you would like to see now?

Boris
Kylesa
Mastodon
Sunn 0)))
Agalloch
Dillinger Escape Plan
Neurosis
Isis
Pelican
Baroness
Intronaut
Black Tusk
Gojira

There would be like 80 people turn up to the perth one, We would just drink beers and party.

I'd go. Add Electric Wizard, Pentagram, Blood Ceremony, Witchcraft, Goat, Graveyard and some good old school punk - let's say a reformed again Sex Pistols, the Dictators and Black Flag. I'd add Blue Oyster Cult but they're coming as part of the Hoodoo Gurus' Dig It Up festival. Sweet as.

Anyways I had a ball at SW this year. Ghost and Kyuss Lives were my highlights which was great because they were the two bands I was most interested in seeing.

A few acts I'd like to see on the bill for 2014.

NIN or ZZ Top to headline
Clutch
FLAG (Keith Morris and another of the original Black Flag members doing Black Flag songs)
Black Cobra
Motorhead
Ministry
Isis
Zoroaster
Foxy Shazam
Andrew WK with full band

If I had a Groundhog day I would love it to be last Friday. It was just so amazing I didn't want it to end.

For those not as old as me, Groundhog day is reference to a movie which starred Bill Murray where he lived the same day over and over again.

Main stage - Korn, Rammstein, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Down

Smaller stages - As I Lay Dying, Lower than Atlantis, Young Guns, Mastodon, Parkway Drive, Karnivool, Katatonia, Heights, Devil Sold His Soul, Feed the Rhino, Devil Wears Prada, Corey Taylor solo, Amon Amarth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back