Source for "Mackay 4 years, $1.6m"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get used to plenty of silly contracts for average players. With free agency the player managers are having a ball. The alleged Mackay contract looks silly but there would be outrage if we let him go and he played good footy. Rather than continually bash Mackay which as Kristof said is boring , I'd be interested to know how much Henderson is on as I'm sure Melbourne we also into him.. And he isn't much better himself
Hendo is twice as good as Mackay and that's saying something.

In fact he's 1000 x better. 0 x 1000 = 0.

You're not going to get a fact for how much any player is on so it's kind of a silly question - guess that's the point you're trying to prove...

As a couple of others have said, I don't really care about the cash he might/mightn't be on, more so the number of years.

If the afl gave us a loyalty allowance we would blow it all on McKay and hendo

The club would have corrected the misinformation that is swirling around if it was <$400k

Which means it's probably much more than that :(

Misinformation? There was only one article ever printed that hinted at an amount and it was never discussed again.

Has it been mentioned anywhere other than here and by anyone other than us?

Misinformation? There was only one article ever printed that hinted at an amount and it was never discussed again.

Has it been mentioned anywhere other than here and by anyone other than us?
No, I've never seen it anywhere in regards to his current contract.

I remember the $400k from the deal in 2012 when he turned down Melbourne's $2m/4 year deal to sign a 3 year deal with us.

He "might" be on massive unders now, he "might" have front-loaded his contract to soak up the unspent Tippett dollars. Given that teams are required to pay a certain % of their cap as a minimum, the proof that players like Mackay are on minimal wages would be the high priced recruits we are able to land.

Off topic, I would love to know what percentage of the cap we paid in 2013 and 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the money or term of the contract it's the fact he had his poorest season ever when given more than an opportunity to show his worth. Unfortunately for himself and the club offering such a generous term has not paid off.

So do we play it safe and keep him on the list with a hope that he finds something over summer or should we admit defeat and pay him off freeing up a spot? Either way we lose.....unless he actually turns into the player we hoped for this will be a bitter pill to swallow.

What are his B&F finishes for all seasons? That is a test of club worth.

2007:
Club Champion: Andrew McLeod
2: Simon Goodwin; 3: Scott Thompson; 4: Tyson Edwards; 5: Ben Rutten; 6: Ben Hudson
7: Nathan van Berlo; 8: Scott Stevens; 9: Jason Torney; 10: Chris Knights
2008:
Club Champion: Nathan Bock
2: Simon Goodwin; 3: Scott Thompson; 4: Tyson Edwards; 5: Michael Doughty; 6: Nathan van Berlo; 7: Robert Shirley; 8: Scott Stevens; 9: Jason Porplyzia; 10: Andrew McLeod
2009:
Club Champion: Bernie Vince
2: Jason Porplyzia; 3: Simon Goodwin; 4: Michael Doughty; 5: Graham Johncock; 6: Kurt Tippett; 7: Scott Thompson; 8: Tyson Edwards; 9: Andrew McLeod; 10: Chris Knights
2010:
Club Champion: Richard Douglas
2: Scott Thompson; 3: Michael Doughty; 4: Brent Reilly; 5: Graham Johncock; 6: Kurt Tippett; 7: Ben Rutten; 8:Simon Goodwin; 9: Scott Stevens; 10: Nathan van Berlo
2011:
Club Champion: Scott Thompson
2: Nathan van Berlo; 3: Graham Johncock; 4: Ben Rutten; 5: Patrick Dangerfield; 6: Rory Sloane; 7: Bernie Vince; 8: Sam Jacobs; 9: Brent Reilly; 10: Kurt Tippett
2012:
2: Patrick Dangerfield; 3:Rory Sloane; 4:Sam Jacobs; 5: Taylor Walker; 6: Brent Reilly; 7: Nathan van Berlo; 8: Michael Doughty; 9: Matthew Wright; 10: Daniel Talia
2013:
Club Champion: Rory Sloane
2: Richard Douglas, 3: Patrick Dangerfield, 4: Daniel Talia, 5: Andy Otten, 6: Luke Brown, 7: Scott Thompson, 8: Ben Rutten, 9: Tom Lynch, 10: Brad Crouch.
2014:
Club Champion: Daniel Talia
2: Rory Sloane, 3: Patrick Dangerfield, 4: Brodie Smith, 5: Sam Jacobs, 6: Scott Thompson, 7: Matthew Jaensch, 8: Eddie Betts, 9: Josh Jenkins, 10: Richard Douglas

The 400,000 dollar man hasn't ever had a top 10 finish in the Club Champion award :D

2007:
Club Champion: Andrew McLeod
2: Simon Goodwin; 3: Scott Thompson; 4: Tyson Edwards; 5: Ben Rutten; 6: Ben Hudson
7: Nathan van Berlo; 8: Scott Stevens; 9: Jason Torney; 10: Chris Knights
2008:
Club Champion: Nathan Bock
2: Simon Goodwin; 3: Scott Thompson; 4: Tyson Edwards; 5: Michael Doughty; 6: Nathan van Berlo; 7: Robert Shirley; 8: Scott Stevens; 9: Jason Porplyzia; 10: Andrew McLeod
2009:
Club Champion: Bernie Vince
2: Jason Porplyzia; 3: Simon Goodwin; 4: Michael Doughty; 5: Graham Johncock; 6: Kurt Tippett; 7: Scott Thompson; 8: Tyson Edwards; 9: Andrew McLeod; 10: Chris Knights
2010:
Club Champion: Richard Douglas
2: Scott Thompson; 3: Michael Doughty; 4: Brent Reilly; 5: Graham Johncock; 6: Kurt Tippett; 7: Ben Rutten; 8:Simon Goodwin; 9: Scott Stevens; 10: Nathan van Berlo
2011:
2: Nathan van Berlo; 3: Graham Johncock; 4: Ben Rutten; 5: Patrick Dangerfield; 6: Rory Sloane; 7: Bernie Vince; 8: Sam Jacobs; 9: Brent Reilly; 10: Kurt Tippett
2012:
2: Patrick Dangerfield; 3:Rory Sloane; 4:Sam Jacobs; 5: Taylor Walker; 6: Brent Reilly; 7: Nathan van Berlo; 8: Michael Doughty; 9: Matthew Wright; 10: Daniel Talia
2013:
Club Champion: Rory Sloane
2: Richard Douglas, 3: Patrick Dangerfield, 4: Daniel Talia, 5: Andy Otten, 6: Luke Brown, 7: Scott Thompson, 8: Ben Rutten, 9: Tom Lynch, 10: Brad Crouch.
2014:
Club Champion: Daniel Talia
2: Rory Sloane, 3: Patrick Dangerfield, 4: Brodie Smith, 5: Sam Jacobs, 6: Scott Thompson, 7: Matthew Jaensch, 8: Eddie Betts, 9: Josh Jenkins, 10: Richard Douglas

The 400,000 dollar man hasn't ever had a top 10 finish in the Club Champion award :D
Un******* believable.

How does a player who has never finished top 10 get a 4 year deal? There needs to be an inquiry, something smelly has gone down here.

I'm calling it "howdoescrapfootballerget4years gate"

No, I'm just interested in facts.

Sure, I DO think the people that repeat 400kay over and over again like they have Tourette's are a complete waste of space, but just finding out if anyone had ever read anything that outlined the truth was why I proposed the thread.

The point you raised about RFA is actually a good one - if we knew that for sure, we could get a good sense of exactly where he sat.

RFA was never in doubt.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-11/afl-free-agent-list-restricted-and-unrestricted-players

Un******* believable.

How does a player who has never finished top 10 get a 4 year deal? There needs to be an inquiry, something smelly has gone down here.

Some genuine role players in there as well that he couldn't even break through as a one-off speaks volumes.

Un******* believable.

He has photos.

My threshold isn't 100% accuracy; but 3 massive blunders, which were clearly that at the time, should be enough to invalidate someone from that position.

Turning your deliberately flawed logic back at you, how many poor decisions before we change it?

He's in the AFC don't make mistakes how dare BF question their decisions camp.

Un******* believable.

Yeah but how many "non-statistical" club awards has he won?

Probably lost a few to Myke Cook early on.

So one piece of the puzzle has been solved Kristof. Dmac was amongst our highest paid 10 players. I'd suggest the onus to explain a lesser value contract signing now swings back to you and anyone who refuses to accept the likelihood that Dmac extended on good coin. Why do you think that Dmac took a pay cut, having played ok for the first part of that season while negotiating. I'm not his biggest fan, but in the post following the announcement I could see that he had been going ok. Is it simply that it would be far too big a screw up for you to accept that a highly regarded club employee was capable of making?

well, let's hope that he breaks the pattern. seems like too long a contract for a player who was dropped as recently as late last year. playing in the final year of his current contract, pulls his finger out and is rewarded with 4 more years for half a seasons work. this seems on par with Reilly's extension for mine. doubt I could be more disappointed with who the player is that has just been awarded one of the longest contracts we've ever given.

So one piece of the puzzle has been solved Kristof. Dmac was amongst our highest paid 10 players. I'd suggest the onus to explain a lesser value contract signing now swings back to you and anyone who refuses to accept the likelihood that Dmac extended on good coin. Why do you think that Dmac took a pay cut, having played ok for the first part of that season while negotiating. I'm not his biggest fan, but in the post following the announcement I could see that he had been going ok. Is it simply that it would be far too big a screw up for you to accept that a highly regarded club employee was capable of making?

In 2014, he was our 11th oldest player - taking out Pods & Graham (and replacing with Sloane, Danger & Walker) if you based on age, he would've been in Top 12.

upload_2015-10-6_12-53-33.png

Now, it's not hard to imagine a scenario that puts him higher paid than Porplyzia in 2014, or Radar/VB, making him 10th. The difference here could be $100 for all we know.

If the average wage for a 3rd+ year player is $350K in 2014 (Sydney's trade restriction), then it is possible he's at the bottom end. In 2014, we had a lot of kids on lower end of the scale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back