Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Dougal is a chb, today emphasised that more than any. If the club can't see it now he might as well ask for a trade.
I agree he is playing his best footy as a CHB but you're wrong here. Hope isn't lost that he could become a good fwd. Key forwards are far harder to develop and right now he's probably not too far off being able to replace Trengove in that ruck/fwd role, and offer us more. So developing him in both positions could only help us. It's just a shame we're so tall up forward and that this was the first chance he has gotten to run around up forward.

Dave Omsby

Club Legend
May 18, 2014
Aldinga, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't be surprised if Dougal has been playing CHB to keep his running in a straight line in the final part of his rehab . He's passed every test there and maybe it was time he tried forward again after half time today .
He got to a fair few contests but wasn't holding the marks , looked a little rusty in that role but we need him more as a forward than a back so they may continue with it .

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree he is playing his best footy as a CHB but you're wrong here. Hope isn't lost that he could become a good fwd. Key forwards are far harder to develop and right now he's probably not too far off being able to replace Trengove in that ruck/fwd role, and offer us more. So developing him in both positions could only help us. It's just a shame we're so tall up forward and that this was the first chance he has gotten to run around up forward.
I hope we persist with him up forward as well, particularly as he says he prefers to play as a forward in this article:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/97a3150dcdadbf3410c3dc3aeb074266
“I prefer playing forward, I was drafted as a forward (from Murray Bushrangers under-18s) and played a fair bit of my juniors there,’’ he said.

“But it’s good that I can go down back and into the ruck too because that will only help my footy.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't be surprised if Dougal has been playing CHB to keep his running in a straight line in the final part of his rehab . He's passed every test there and maybe it was time he tried forward again after half time today .
He got to a fair few contests but wasn't holding the marks , looked a little rusty in that role but we need him more as a forward than a back so they may continue with it .
Agree with the summation. You need to give DOUGAL time before he is in the AFL.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In both the the Power and Magpies teams we have so many misses at goal but win by sheer weight of entries.
It was interesting to hear Bassett discussing the team in this interview (from the Port Radio and Sound thread)
where at 3:50 Bassett talks about Hawks accuracy being due in good part to them having a full time kicking coach. So obviously the club are aware. Why ffs don't we have the same because if any club needs one, we do and just imagine our scores then. He also mentions in the discussion that the clogging up of our forward line does affect our entries too.
Anyway, as per always a very insightful interview with Bass and well worth a listen
3:50

Last edited:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
We've made up a bit on the Eagles. Last week we were a game and 3.68% behind, now it's a game and 2.52%. Too bad we let up in the second half. There's enough time left in the season to make up that percentage and every little helps.

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
First chance to see the Maggies live. Between looking after the little one and catching up with mates it was difficult to provide an indepth review.

However what was noticeable was just how much Atley looked a class above. Won the hard ball, was clean, tackled well and even looked polished on the outside. Also moved well in traffic. Im presuming today was the first time it all clicked otherwise he would gave been in the 1s already. If he can back todays performance up then we should see him on the main stage before long.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers

I see Doogie as a Mr Fixit, not dissimilar to Harry Taylor.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
We seem to try to make midfielders into forwards and generally fail(Sam Gray). This happens at other clubs too, remember David Brown and his brief sojourn at the cows?

We are better at making full backs into full forwards, Tim Evans thinks so anyway :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Omsby

Club Legend
May 18, 2014
Aldinga, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My first a Magpies game this year .
I was impressed by Atley most and Drew , I think they're both looking good .
Bonner good in the second half , Ladhams promising Marshalll looks very exciting , Irra was actually pretty good , .Neade was good especially in the first half .
White and Lobbe were serviceable without really impressing . Billy was quite good . Eddy was ok . Howard was good in defence but scratchy in the forward line . Monfries was good. A.J provided some good link up play here and there .
Austin and Leinert looked a bit similar and were both ok . Snelling was ok as with Krakouer . Shared and Summerton were both quite good . Housten didn't play .
Lots of the Power boys there plus Keith and Chris Davies .
Overall quite an impressive performance , like everyone is saying a bit like the Port Hawks game stamped our foot on them but didn't rub their faces in the dirt.
Oops nearly forgot Palmer , he was very good mostly midfield but yea he was quite impressive

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

So where does Todd Marshall fit in? I would hope that this time next year Marshall has put his name forward as a key forward option. We spent a first round draft pick on Marshall so I hope that is not wasted. I am loathe to pump Marshall's tyres up too early as I still have vivid memories of another 197cm first round key forward we recruited.

Westhoff is 31 later this year so maybe Howard will slot into his role whatever it is.

vifJVaf.png

gPpZ1IM.png

jack_black16

Club Legend
May 11, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would assume as soon as he gets his chance he will absolutely nail it and that will be the last we see of him in the sanfl. It has to be through injury as everyone is playing so well, but its inevitable at some stage one of our three afl key defenders will get an injury.

Do you think he looks good enough to push Clurey out?

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Had my doubts about him early in the season that he needed to improve his kicking but he has no such problems now.

If he got called up I'd welcome it.
^ is Joe Atley btw. Been play'in well for a while now. Why not is the Q that, Palmer Frampton Doogs n plenty of others might ask.
Carn Ken, we've had the early bye, it's time to roll the dice with players n rotate 'em ... it might end up being good this September ;).
So let's get reckless n daring and pick some left field dudes to fill in, the spaces, while our aces go thru' their paces.

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
^ is Joe Atley btw. Been play'in well for a while now. Why not is the Q that, Palmer Frampton Doogs n plenty of others might ask.
Carn Ken, we've had the early bye, it's time to roll the dice with players n rotate 'em ... it might end up being good this September ;).
So let's get reckless n daring and pick some left field dudes to fill in, the spaces, while our aces go thru' their paces.
Like Johnson and Toumpus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back