South Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Go South
Thank god for Glenelg. Rue the day that they finish higher than us.

about 340 days away champ.

South - short priced faves for the '03 spoon?

specially after we announce STICKS as our coach

(Kernahan that is - I wish!)

Originally posted by naughty monkey

about 340 days away champ.

South - short priced faves for the '03 spoon?

specially after we announce STICKS as our coach

(Kernahan that is - I wish!)

Yeah ! But Kernas is pretty well entrenched at carlton I think !

Originally posted by RoosterWedgie
At least South could beat Port in 2002.

:(

That was probably the #1 highlight of the season... absolutely fantastic. From a personal point of view, beating West at Richmond was great too.

Plus a certain game where we won with a kick for goal after the siren... absolutely unbelievable. ;)

Our few and far between wins have all been fantastic, but apart from that, it's been another season from hell.

Once again... "things can only get better" is our motto for next season :(

Surely its South's turn

Now that Sturt have won one its really South who we need to get a Premiership

Its good that such things are shared around.

Jars' 2003 wishlisht in order

1) Eagles win
2) South make the finals (one step at a time)
3) Port come last.

Originally posted by Jars458
Surely its South's turn

Now that Sturt have won one its really South who we need to get a Premiership

Its good that such things are shared around.

Jars' 2003 wishlisht in order

1) Eagles win
2) South make the finals (one step at a time)
3) Port come last.

God, I hope so.

Yeah, I'd like to make the finals first and gradually improve. Plus it would give the chance for us to actually build a supporter base again.

God, I hope so.

Yeah, I'd like to make the finals first and gradually improve. Plus it would give the chance for us to actually build a supporter base again.

Or get a proper home ground with real facilities and an oval that doesn't flood after a sun shower.

It's funny how no one bags South supporters about their lack of success since the 1964 flag, which ironically is the year that Centrals entered the SANFL league competition.
I say ironic because Dogs supporters used to get bagged all the time by people saying “win a flag u dumb pommy bastids” and I never seem to hear people bagging South.
I'm not suggesting we all start getting into Panthers supporters, it's just an observation and Go South might come and prove me wrong anyway.

Originally posted by Dogwatcher
It's funny how no one bags South supporters about their lack of success since the 1964 flag, which ironically is the year that Centrals entered the SANFL league competition.
I say ironic because Dogs supporters used to get bagged all the time by people saying “win a flag u dumb pommy bastids” and I never seem to hear people bagging South.
I'm not suggesting we all start getting into Panthers supporters, it's just an observation and Go South might come and prove me wrong anyway.

I haven't heard "win a flag you dumb pommy bastards", but I've heard just about everything else under the sun... particularly from Centrals supporters interestingly enough :)

The more we lose, the better it is when we win. One day we'll get there again.

Carn South Adelaide.

I haven't seen them in over a decade, living interstate. But it is terribly dissapointing seeing them always in the lower part of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Dogwatcher

Apart from Go South, do you know any South fans?
I know one.

Originally posted by bulldog pommy

Apart from Go South, do you know any South fans?
I know one.

I knew one, but she died.

Seriously though, everyone talks about their record since 1964, have a look at their record from when the competition resumed fully in 1945 through to 1963. In those 19 years, in an eight team competition there highest finish was 6th. 1964 was an oasis in a desert of frustration. By 1969 they were bottom again.

Furthermore in 1959 they only survived by the casting vote of the league president. The league wanted to bring a team from Elizabeth in, four of the clubs wanted to kick South out and keep an eight team comp, the other four wanted Central and another club (which turned out to be Woodville) to come in. The president sided with those four.

Has history proven him to be correct?

South Adelaide, the SANFLs second oldest team est 1876.

Has moved down south to Noarlunga, they should have been there in 1966...

The N0rthern suburbs of Adelaide , despite all the social misgivings, have a sense of belonging to each other ( not really a sense of Community ) and their football club..

The old them against us scenario..

The southern districts of Adelaide is a broad mix of socio economic groups, so therefore it is much harder to draw these sectors into one large group behind a local Footy club...

The haves definitely find it difficult to mix with the have nots in a broad sense Down south...as many have not been brought up togethor...

The Haves up North are achievers from amongst the local poulation, they choose to live in Elizabeth....Haves from West Lakes would not choose to live in Elizabeth, however they would down in Hallett Cove etc.

The population mix of the South is more transient than the North, i.e., they have come from further afield to live down there, bringing a large mix of SANFL supporters, the one Common thing that unites them is not South...perennial losers, but THE CROWS.

South Adelaide have much hard work to do...and I hope they succeed, the SANFL needs such an old club as part of its mix..to maintain a sense of History....

PA1870

South supporters: I know two off hand, but that's probably because I live on the other side of town to the club. I wonder how many South supporters knew Centrals supporters prior to the last couple of years.
The two South supporters I know also actually have some sort of public profile, one is a former club B&F and the other is on tv.

There are probably 10 to 15 faces that I can recognise as those that go every week.

There's a certain level of respect between those people... there's always a knowing nod of approval at places like Elizabeth when there are virtually none of us there.

Those are the people that I'll have respect for when we're finally successful again.

There are probably 10 to 15 faces that I can recognise as those that go every week.

There's a certain level of respect between those people... there's always a knowing nod of approval at places like Elizabeth when there are virtually none of us there.

Those are the people that I'll have respect for when we're finally successful again.
I used to know virtually every face at Woodville games in the bad old days. The nod of approval or a "G'day" was always there for us too. When we had our good little run in the 86 finals, there were people back at the club that I had never seen in my life before. I guess everyone's welcome, but I don't like front runners.

I too hope that South become successful - used to hang out with their cheer squad a bit 20 years ago. Is Greg Anderson still the coach? I find him less than inspiring. What is the playing list like?

Originally posted by McAlmanac

I used to know virtually every face at Woodville games in the bad old days. The nod of approval or a "G'day" was always there for us too. When we had our good little run in the 86 finals, there were people back at the club that I had never seen in my life before. I guess everyone's welcome, but I don't like front runners.

I too hope that South become successful - used to hang out with their cheer squad a bit 20 years ago. Is Greg Anderson still the coach? I find him less than inspiring. What is the playing list like?

Yeah, it will be easy to spot the bandwagoners when we get successful again.

Greg Anderson is still the coach... he was re-signed again this year. Apparently he's demanded a lot more money from the club to be devoted to recruiting next year, and new recruiting staff have been appointed. We lost a lot of players last year, and the club did very little to replace them.

The past two seasons we've had loads of injuries, which really exposed our lack of depth. It's given us the chance to blood youth though, so hopefully with a bit of experience some of the younger players can improve and move up a tier. Our reserves are shocking (zero wins last season, 2 or 3 this year). We have some good players, but certainly not enough contributors... too much is relied on Sampson, Cobb, Brogan, etc, and when they don't fire, neither do we.

Gees, Go South, you are eternally optimistic.
I wouldn't blame you if you were like me...eternally pessimistic.
I rarely tip my sides (Centrals or Collingwood) to win and even on Sunday when people I know (not necessarily Doggie fans) were telling me we were a shoe-in I didn't believe them - good move in the end.
I watch my teams and although I believe they can win I'm never confident until the siren sounds and they are jubilant.
I've been spolit in the last two years - but previously there'd been little to celebrate.
Good luck to you sir and keep the faith.
Go Panthers in 2003!

Originally posted by Port Adelaide 1870
South Adelaide, the SANFLs second oldest team est 1876.

Has moved down south to Noarlunga, they should have been there in 1966...

The N0rthern suburbs of Adelaide , despite all the social misgivings, have a sense of belonging to each other ( not really a sense of Community ) and their football club..

The old them against us scenario..

The southern districts of Adelaide is a broad mix of socio economic groups, so therefore it is much harder to draw these sectors into one large group behind a local Footy club...

The haves definitely find it difficult to mix with the have nots in a broad sense Down south...as many have not been brought up togethor...

The Haves up North are achievers from amongst the local poulation, they choose to live in Elizabeth....Haves from West Lakes would not choose to live in Elizabeth, however they would down in Hallett Cove etc.

The population mix of the South is more transient than the North, i.e., they have come from further afield to live down there, bringing a large mix of SANFL supporters, the one Common thing that unites them is not South...perennial losers, but THE CROWS.

South Adelaide have much hard work to do...and I hope they succeed, the SANFL needs such an old club as part of its mix..to maintain a sense of History....

PA1870

I think South's problems are much deeper than that. They have a pretty good zone but seem unwilling to put the time into it. It includes all of the Great Southern FL and Kangaroo Island FL and part of the Southern FL, and i think one club in the Hills FL. The rest of the Southern FL is split between West and Glenelg. The fact that South have not won a premiership since moving to Noarlunga is a disgrace. A lot of the blame should be put on the administration. South have set up a sort of sister club arrangement with 2 clubs it seems (Noarlunga (SFL) & McLaren (GSFL)) and all players recruited to the club who are not getting games in the league or reserves play at these. Any players from competing clubs are pressured into moving to one of these 2 clubs. (Just ask the people down at Port Noarlunga FC what they think of this).

South are not alone in this, Glenelg also do similar with Brighton DOS and PHOS Camden. The results tell the story for both these clubs. I asked some people from the admins of both Norwood and Sturt about this and their reaction was of dismay. One quote was "No wonder these clubs struggle". Apparently the policy is that all outside recruits are distributed evenly and recruits from within the zone remain with their home clubs.

It proves that you need healthy feeder clubs to be a healthy club. This season the SFL GF was Brighton v Noarlunga, a few wealthy clubs were up with them but the rest of the comp struggled to compete with them. In the GSFL it was a similar story, in fact McLaren have gone from being a division 2 club in SFL to now being a top 4 club in GSDL and competing well with the power clubs.

I do not know the motivation behind this idea but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe RoosterWedgie can give the full details about the relationship between South and Noarlunga, it was a bit strange when Noarlunga changed their guernsey so that it was more like South's so the players didn't get confused.

Originally posted by screech

I know heaps...

...but I guess thats because I live in the deep south.

The only South supporters I know I've either met at games, or managed to convert myself. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back