South Africa in Australia (3 T20I's, 5 ODI's)

Remove this Banner Ad

he needs a slap over the back of the head & based on a performance contract. he is capable of freakish things and easily one of the most talented cricketers in the country, but needs to be sat down & told what is expected

He should know what is expected at that level.

I genuinely worry about Maxwell and his development 12 months ago I thought he was a crucial part of our top 6. I loved his fielding and amazing hitting. Combined with his useful spin I honestly thought he would mature into a star in odi much like symonds. The way I see it Finch has matured his game and technique. Smith has gone to another level of game changing ability. Faulkner is a genuine closer. Hell wade has developed his keeping to a more than acceptable level. Where has big show developed? His batting has stagnated it's a real shame. If he had matured I dare say we would be an unbelievable threat come world cup time. Do we persist? Tough question I honestly don't know.

Its interesting to see which players have increased their prospects going forward:

Smith (now has to play)
Finch (some people here doubted him but showed he has improved)
Faulkner (for some reason wasnt in original squad)
Wade (had others breathing down his neck as 2nd in line behind haddin, good series keeps them at bay for now - keeping seems to have improved as well)
Hazlewood (good to see him injury free)

Less:

Maxwell (doesnt appear to know his role or want to reign it in when needed - although bowling was good)
Warner (never got going and ODI stats are poor for someone so good at hitting)

Probably not convincing though the team was rotated. Some positions still to be settled. SA not looking that likely for the WC though with their incredibly leaky bowlers and average batting. At least their catching improved.

They discussed extensively on ABC how South Africa have no genuine quality all-rounders any more.

Apart from Duminy and (at a stretch) ABDV sending down a few overs of dibbly-dobblies, none of SA's batting order are capable of holding down the 5th bowlers spot. Someone like Rossouw seems to have what it takes, but he doesn't bowl either....so he misses out because they can't carry 5 non-bowlers in their top 7. They pretty much have to weaken their batting lineup by playing McLaren or Behardien to make up the overs.

Whereas Australia can get 20 overs minimum out of some combination of Watson/Marsh/Maxwell/Faulkner, giving us the luxury of playing an extra batsman.

Same could be said about Watson, Finch and Smith, who all had their eyes in and all through away their wickets.

They at least scored some runs, while there was a big target to chase. By the time the other 3 came all the hard work had been done and the run-rate required was only about 4. There was no need for them to swing the bat. It was just dumb batting, and they should be smarter than that.

They at least scored some runs, while there was a big target to chase. By the time the other 3 came in the run-rate required was only about 4, there was no need for them to swing the bat. It was just dumb batting, and they should be smarter than that.
For me that makes it worse.

They did the hard yards, got in and when the team needed them to anchor the innings and get the team home they threw it away and just assumed someone else would get it done.

Typical 'it'll be right' attitude.

In terms of the World Cup squad, this series has revealed a few things:

- Finch has probably secured his spot in the XI
- Smith has definitely secured his spot in the XI, meaning we'll have to choose between Bailey and an all-rounder for number 6
- Mitch Marsh has leapfrogged Maxwell
- Wade is good enough, and we'd be fine playing him and leaving Haddin at home
- Faulkner should be in our starting XI
- Cummins should play if fit

So our XI is shaping up to be:
Warner
Finch
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Bailey/Marsh/Maxwell
Wade/Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Cummins
Harris (if fit)/Hazlewood/Coulter-Nile/Starc/Lyon/Doherty

Pick the squad of 15 from that!

Mattyp, don't see how Faulkner has leapfrogged Starc to be a first pick bowler. If they play him at 6, fine, but that's a busy spot with plenty of contenders.

Because we showed during this series that we need to be able to bat reliably down to 8. I'd back a bowling lineup of Johnson, Cummins and Harris to be able to carry the team without Starc being needed. Faulkner's good enough to play as the 4th bowler, particularly if we have Watson and Marsh/Maxwell as the 5th and 6th bowlers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see a spot for both Faulkner and Mitch Marsh to be honest - not unless Watson is dropped and Haddin bats 3

I'm always a fan of 5 genuine bowlers.

So for me if all fit Harris, Starc, Johnson, Spinner, Faulkner is our best attack

The spinner is the issue I see..

As much as he is a bone head, Maxwell is probably our best spinner.
If he bats at 8 I'd be happy with him in the team. His bowling average (41) is only 2 higher than Doherty but his batting average is twice as good and his strike rate 65 quicker.

Don't think Lyon will be in the picture, as the commentators pointed out yesterday, if he was in their plans they would have played him Vs SA at some point.

In hindsight, they absolutely stuffed up the squad selection in the last two games. Maxwell should not have been picked. Faulkner should have batted at 6 as he did in the series before. Some non Doherty spinner should have played. They failed to address the pre-existing spinner problem (who the spinner is) and the Faulkner problem (where does he play) by deploying Maxwell and Faulkner in their usual roles, and by giving Doherty a chance for some reason. So we have the same problem as before: Who is the spinner, and how do you include Faulkner in the team while still picking the best bowling attack.

If he bats at 8 I'd be happy with him in the team. His bowling average (41) is only 2 higher than Doherty but his batting average is twice as good and his strike rate 65 quicker.

Don't think Lyon will be in the picture, as the commentators pointed out yesterday, if he was in their plans they would have played him Vs SA at some point.

Didn't Lyon have family things going on? I am sure he missed a Shield match because of it (wife giving birth or something). I'm not ultra happy with Maxwell playing but I don't mind him batting at 8 or 9. As bad as this sounds he is the best spinner we have that is a realistic chance. Ideally I would play Boyce.

Can't see NCN getting in based on this series. Good enough when he's good, but not often enough.

Not to mention he has taken over from Watson in that he spends more time in the physio room than on the field every season. Couldn't trust him getting through a series. You can't take NCN, M. Marsh, Watson all in the squad. All 3 can likely do a hammy!

Not to mention he has taken over from Watson in that he spends more time in the physio room than on the field every season. Couldn't trust him getting through a series. You can't take NCN, M. Marsh, Watson all in the squad. All 3 can likely do a hammy!
They should all come and play for Geelong. Our rehab room is the size of a hospital ward:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back