South Africa tour of Pakistan (2 Tests, 3 T20I's)

Remove this Banner Ad

So this starts in 2 days with the tests on first. South Africa have a 21 player test squad, but surprisingly have only taken the solitary back up spinner, assuming they go with Maharaj in tandem with either Linde (another left arm orthodox) or Shamsi (left arm wrist spin) and Wiaan Mulder to be the 3rd seamer. Expecting their line-ups to be somewhat like:

Pakistan:

Imran Butt
Abid Ali
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam (c)
Saud Shakeel
Mohammed Rizwan (+)
Faheem Ashraf
Hasan Ali
Yasir Shah
Sajid Khan
Shaheen Shah Afridi

South Africa:

Dean Elgar
Aiden Markram
Rassie van der Dussen
Faf du Plessis
Quinto de Kock (c, +)
Keegan Petersen
Wiaan Mulder
George Linde
Keshav Maharaj
Kagiso Rabada
Lungi Ngidi

Pakistan:

Imran Butt
Abid Ali
Azhar Ali
Babar Azam (c)
Saud Shakeel
Mohammed Rizwan (+)
Faheem Ashraf
Hasan Ali
Yasir Shah
Sajid Khan
Shaheen Shah Afridi
Pretty much, yeah.

Although I doubt that we'll have a spin-heavy attack (or even pitches for that matter) like most Asian countries do. Karachi is a road, and Rawalpindi is a fast-bowler's wicket. Won't be surprised at all if spinners from either side underperform massively.

Pretty much, yeah.

Although I doubt that we'll have a spin-heavy attack (or even pitches for that matter) like most Asian countries do. Karachi is a road, and Rawalpindi is a fast-bowler's wicket. Won't be surprised at all if spinners from either side underperform massively.
Forgive me, I don't think I've ever seen a match in Pakistan. Fair enough

Forgive me, I don't think I've ever seen a match in Pakistan. Fair enough
Lol, neither had I until 2019. 😂

Legitimately, Sri Lanka playing a Test match in 2019 was the first Test I saw in Pakistan in my entire life. Before that, the last Test played in Pakistan was in 2009, and I was a 9-year old who was not a cricket fan then. :p

Why would Nortje not be playing?
I was picking only 3 seamers and 2 spinners. My internal debate was between picking Mulder at 7 and leaving Nortje out or Linde batting a touch too high. Depends on what you want, but I really rate Nortje too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m never seen a nations cricket suffer such a long term residual effect from one series as I have with SA since that Indian series 5 years ago. They were great players of spin in general before that series and had no fear of Asia now regardless of pitches or opposition attack they just go to water over there

Pakistan with another random mid 30s spinner debutant. I would love to be a fly on the wall at their selection committee meetings.
They've recently streamlined their first class system down to 6 regional teams, which in theory should start to see more consistency in their national team selection. I'm not sure it will last because they've cut all departmental teams which left a lot of cricketers without an income, and I believe wages from regional teams are not as good.

It can't have helped their cause that their FC system had such wild swings between the numbers of teams one season to the next - in this century alone they've gone from 24 teams to 9 (02/03 to 03/04), 7 to 22 (06/07 to 07/08), 22 to 14 (11/12 to 12/13), 14 to 26 (13/14 to 14/15), 26 to 16 (14/15 to 15/16) and 16 to 6 (18/19 to 19/20). How do you gauge the relative strength of your competition and the performances within when that is happening?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back